Olsen to the Rams rumor

chwtom

Passing on a rumor from a friend of a friend who has contacts in the Rams from office. The Bears apparently called them offering Greg Olsen and the Bears third rounder for the Rams second rounder and a mid to late 2011 pick. The Rams turned it down, but agreed to talk more on draft day. Apparently the Rams would like a TE, and want to see what is avaiable when they pick at the open of the second round. If the guy they like is gone, they may talk more with the Bears.

Guest TerraTor
Passing on a rumor from a friend of a friend who has contacts in the Rams from office. The Bears apparently called them offering Greg Olsen and the Bears third rounder for the Rams second rounder and a mid to late 2011 pick. The Rams turned it down, but agreed to talk more on draft day. Apparently the Rams would like a TE, and want to see what is avaiable when they pick at the open of the second round. If the guy they like is gone, they may talk more with the Bears.

Thats horrible

I would be very surprised if the Bears were willing to give Olsen up for that little...I would think he has to have more worth than that!

With the likes of Brandon Marshall going for a 2nd round pick, and Holmes and Ginn for 5th round picks, I would suspect that Olsen may not carry as much worth as we may like.

I would be very surprised if the Bears were willing to give Olsen up for that little...I would think he has to have more worth than that!

Just chiming in: the Rams' 2nd-rounder is #33 overall. It's a first-round pick, for all intents and purposes. Olsen was only drafted two spots higher than that in the first place. I'm against trading Olsen, but if he could net us the very first pick in the 2nd round, I guess it could be OK. We'd have a shot at some real difference-makers at #33 - players Olsen's caliber or better.

Also, I've heard that St. Louis has been talking to Denver about Tony Scheffler...he could be had for a much lower draft pick than Olsen, and given the number of holes the Rams have to address, I imagine they might go that route. Even if they take Bradford and solve their QB problem, they've got a TON of needs (O-line, DT, WR, CB) to fix with that 2nd-rounder. Sending it for Olsen might be kind of a luxury, even if he comes packaged with a 3rd.

First, let me say I have a hard time believing this rumor.

Second, the people who think this is terrible value for Olsen are nuts. As defiantgiant says, this is the first pick in the 2nd round, for which the Bears would be giving their third round pick. If you want to go by the old pick value chart, the Rams pick is worth 580 and the Bears pick is worth 215, making the difference (Olsen) worth a mid-2nd round pick, which, I think, is what we all wished we could get for Olsen. Not to mention the fact that the pick will be a highly desireable pick for trade value. The Bears could probably trade down, pick up a lower 2nd and lower 3rd round pick or high 4th round pick, and still get a guy like Nate Allen in the 2nd.

First, let me say I have a hard time believing this rumor.

Second, the people who think this is terrible value for Olsen are nuts. As defiantgiant says, this is the first pick in the 2nd round, for which the Bears would be giving their third round pick. If you want to go by the old pick value chart, the Rams pick is worth 580 and the Bears pick is worth 215, making the difference (Olsen) worth a mid-2nd round pick, which, I think, is what we all wished we could get for Olsen. Not to mention the fact that the pick will be a highly desireable pick for trade value. The Bears could probably trade down, pick up a lower 2nd and lower 3rd round pick or high 4th round pick, and still get a guy like Nate Allen in the 2nd.

Why do you have a hard time believing this rumor? What we know is:

1. We used one of our visits on Nate Allen who's projected to go early in round 2. Lovie even took him to dinner. Why? Aside from trading away next year's picks, we have no other ammunition we'd want to part with. JA's taking grief for giving away this year's #2 and I doubt he'll do it again.

2. No Martz TE has had much success. The early indication was Martz wanted nothing to do with Olsen and Olsen wanted out. We paid a ton for a new TE.

My guess is we're calling everyone making a similar offer. You might be right in that we might move up just so we can move back down. Either way, it's believable.

The problem is now I have to tune in to the draft on Friday night. I think this rumor is somewhat good news in the sense that we seem to still be marketing Olsen around the league. We know he has some value out there and it seems like more than one team has a bit of interest. If we're going to make a deal having more than one potential suitor only helps us get better value.

Just chiming in: the Rams' 2nd-rounder is #33 overall. It's a first-round pick, for all intents and purposes. Olsen was only drafted two spots higher than that in the first place. I'm against trading Olsen, but if he could net us the very first pick in the 2nd round, I guess it could be OK. We'd have a shot at some real difference-makers at #33 - players Olsen's caliber or better.

Also, I've heard that St. Louis has been talking to Denver about Tony Scheffler...he could be had for a much lower draft pick than Olsen, and given the number of holes the Rams have to address, I imagine they might go that route. Even if they take Bradford and solve their QB problem, they've got a TON of needs (O-line, DT, WR, CB) to fix with that 2nd-rounder. Sending it for Olsen might be kind of a luxury, even if he comes packaged with a 3rd.

I didn't understand the above mentioned details of a possible deal, with those facts clear the deal does not look so bad. Thanks for clearing that up!

The problem is now I have to tune in to the draft on Friday night. I think this rumor is somewhat good news in the sense that we seem to still be marketing Olsen around the league. We know he has some value out there and it seems like more than one team has a bit of interest. If we're going to make a deal having more than one potential suitor only helps us get better value.

You'll want to tune in regardless since the Bears do have a 3rd round pick they'll use Friday night (unless we trade down . . .)

This new draft format's leaving me confused. I think it's safe to assume the Bears won't move up to Thursday night, but I'll still be watching the damn thing just in case.