Olsen's value

bradjock

A few weeks back, the SCORES Boers & Bernstein show said that the Bears were having trouble getting a 5th round pick for Olsen. While I didn't believe this, I did believe his value wasn't what we thought it was.

Today Denver received a 5th round pick for Tony Scheffler AND a 7th.

I'd thought we might see a draft day deal in which the Bears moved up to the 2nd round. That ain't going to happen with trading away next year's picks.

The market just got smaller so if there is still demand the price has gone up. There's no reason to give up Olsen for a 5th Rd or even 4th Rd pick, he has more value to us on the roster. If we get into the top of the 3rd Rd along with a late round pick maybe the Bears pull the trigger but I still prefer to keep him. If it's a second round pick and one of the top FS is still there I pull the trigger.

Lol, no way they get a 3rd or 2nd for Olsen now.

I can't see a team not in the trade thinking a low fifth for Shefflar was too high, then saying oh crap we better pay a 2nd or 3rd for Olsen. I imagine they will offer low 4th to high 5th round at best now. The supply went down but so did the demand. Worse is a price has been set on the value of the position.

Lol, no way they get a 3rd or 2nd for Olsen now.

I can't see a team not in the trade thinking a low fifth for Shefflar was too high, then saying oh crap we better pay a 2nd or 3rd for Olsen. I imagine they will offer low 4th to high 5th round at best now. The supply went down but so did the demand. Worse is a price has been set on the value of the position.

Mildly disagree on this. I don't think Scheffler is a guage for Olsen. Scheffler and Olsen are the same type of player, but the similarities stop there. Olsen is bigger, faster, better hands, and better attitude. Rumor had it that Denver was going to cut Scheffler. (Of course that is just speculation) I'm not saying we'll get a 2nd for him, but it's not ludicrous to think it possible.

I still look at NE. They have the perfect system to Olsen to play in and are probably salivating at the thought of adding that weapon to their arsenal. They have three 2nd rounders and a choice to make. Do we draft our TE and plan on him being a 40% chance of meeting or exceeding his draft status. Or do we take Olsen, who we know has great hands, works hard and has a good attitude? Sure, it might be a reach for NE to pony up a 2nd, but look at the value.

JA still has the leverage to say Olsen is a weapon for us and the price is a 2nd. Either we get the 2nd or stays with us. IMO - if we traded him and didn't get value, I'd be more pissed than letting Alex Brown walk over money. I think Olsen is worth a late 2nd to 3rd. I would not trade him for any reason past the middle of the 3rd round.