Martz on Cutler, Olsen, Omiyale

defiantgiant

Martz says that Omiyale's moving to right tackle, that Olsen can contribute in his system (and says there's a problem with the system if Olsen doesn't fit,) and that Cutler's exceeded his expectations so far.

My two cents:

1. Excellent move as far as Omiyale goes. The guy started to look not-totally-awful at guard toward the end of the season, but he's clearly a tackle and he's much more of a pass-protector than a run-blocker. Beekman's an upgrade from him at LG. If Tice can coach Omiyale up on the switch to the right side (I'm pretty sure he played on the left in Carolina) then he could be a decent option at RT. Especially with Manumaleuna lining up next to him.

2. It sure sounds like Martz was hinting that he'll change the system to fit Olsen. He still said (as basically everybody has said) that he's going to ask Olsen to get better at blocking in the run game, but he definitely made it sound like he's not going to keep a talented player on the bench for scheme reasons.

3. I remember Kurt Warner saying something about how much of a stickler Martz was for fundamentals, but I didn't realize how serious it was. I figured he'd clean up Cutler's footwork (which got pretty sloppy last season) and that would help his accuracy, but I didn't think he was going to take it all the way back to square one and start reworking how the guy takes a snap. Cutler made some downright beautiful throws (and, admittedly, some pretty bad ones) last season while basically winging it off his back foot...I'm excited to see what he can do with consistent footwork and mechanics.

Certainly sounds good on paper! Let's hope it's so in practice!

Martz says that Omiyale's moving to right tackle, that Olsen can contribute in his system (and says there's a problem with the system if Olsen doesn't fit,) and that Cutler's exceeded his expectations so far.

My two cents:

1. Excellent move as far as Omiyale goes. The guy started to look not-totally-awful at guard toward the end of the season, but he's clearly a tackle and he's much more of a pass-protector than a run-blocker. Beekman's an upgrade from him at LG. If Tice can coach Omiyale up on the switch to the right side (I'm pretty sure he played on the left in Carolina) then he could be a decent option at RT. Especially with Manumaleuna lining up next to him.

2. It sure sounds like Martz was hinting that he'll change the system to fit Olsen. He still said (as basically everybody has said) that he's going to ask Olsen to get better at blocking in the run game, but he definitely made it sound like he's not going to keep a talented player on the bench for scheme reasons.

3. I remember Kurt Warner saying something about how much of a stickler Martz was for fundamentals, but I didn't realize how serious it was. I figured he'd clean up Cutler's footwork (which got pretty sloppy last season) and that would help his accuracy, but I didn't think he was going to take it all the way back to square one and start reworking how the guy takes a snap. Cutler made some downright beautiful throws (and, admittedly, some pretty bad ones) last season while basically winging it off his back foot...I'm excited to see what he can do with consistent footwork and mechanics.

Certainly sounds good on paper! Let's hope it's so in practice!

The thing I like about the offense this year, is Martz is a smart guy and he knows how to score points, whether our talent can keep up with him that is another story. Like him or loath him, he has it figured out.

The thing I like about the offense this year, is Martz is a smart guy and he knows how to score points, whether our talent can keep up with him that is another story. Like him or loath him, he has it figured out.

Scoring points is not what I'm concerned about with Martz. It's the position he can put the defense and his QB in. If we can get to the other teams QB this year, I have hope. Otherwise, it could be a long ugly year.