Furrey???

azbearsfan

Your thoughts on this

He seemed like he was in pretty steep decline the past couple of years. I don't see the point in bringing him in, unless it's to replace Davis on special teams and help teach Martz's system to the young guys. I definitely don't want him seeing the field as a receiver: the guy basically had one good year, and that was in 2006. And they threw to him almost 150 times that season.

I'm fine with the move if he's just going to cover kicks and help Hester/Aromashodu/Knox learn to run routes consistently.

That's probably be the main reason he'd be brought in.

Well, and the coaches always say that the last receiver on the depth chart has to be able to play special teams...that's why Rashied Davis has stuck around for so long. Since Furrey can play safety, I have to imagine he could play on coverage teams, which would probably make him a candidate for Davis' roster spot. I'm totally fine with replacing Davis with an equivalent player who happens to know Martz's offense.

This seems pretty damn logical to me. The last time he worked with Martz he went for over 1000 yards. I'm assuming he's a precise route runner, which is something Martz requires and is something most of our WR's are not good at. We'd offering him the minimum so salary isn't and issue and we can cut him if he doesn't work.

He seems like an ideal guy to fill out the back end of the roster and probably replace Rashied Davis.

This seems pretty damn logical to me. The last time he worked with Martz he went for over 1000 yards. I'm assuming he's a precise route runner, which is something Martz requires and is something most of our WR's are not good at. We'd offering him the minimum so salary isn't and issue and we can cut him if he doesn't work.

He seems like an ideal guy to fill out the back end of the roster and probably replace Rashied Davis.

Actually, the last time he worked with Martz was in 2007 - Furrey caught 61 passes for 664 yards and 1 TD. He really only had the one good year, but I think you're right that he could be good in Rashied Davis' role.