Shaffer at LG?

Stinger226

I read this morning Shaffer is getting a look at LG. Maybe that will be the answer.

Yeah, I saw that Tice said he'd try him there. It's an interesting idea, but I hope they're not relying on it. It seems like moving career tackles to the interior line is kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes it works out well, like with Robert Gallery, but a lot of them really seem to struggle with the change in technique. I'd love it if Shaffer can give the Bears an upgrade at LG, but I hope they're getting Beekman or Louis some reps with the second team so they have a fallback plan.

Yeah, I saw that Tice said he'd try him there. It's an interesting idea, but I hope they're not relying on it. It seems like moving career tackles to the interior line is kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes it works out well, like with Robert Gallery, but a lot of them really seem to struggle with the change in technique. I'd love it if Shaffer can give the Bears an upgrade at LG, but I hope they're getting Beekman or Louis some reps with the second team so they have a fallback plan.

Usually that is the case, but you have to remember now we have a Martz offense. Perhaps that will be a fit for his type of offense.

Yeah, I saw that Tice said he'd try him there. It's an interesting idea, but I hope they're not relying on it. It seems like moving career tackles to the interior line is kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes it works out well, like with Robert Gallery, but a lot of them really seem to struggle with the change in technique.

I wouldn't compare this to Gallery. To me it's more like we did with John St. Claire. He was sort of an ultra-back-up. He was solid at every position but great at none. I don't get the impression we want him to start.

I'd love it if Shaffer can give the Bears an upgrade at LG, but I hope they're getting Beekman or Louis some reps with the second team so they have a fallback plan.

I could have read it wrong, but the impression I got from the article was that Beekman's out with injury for a short time and the job will be his to lose. It didn't mention Lance Louis. The fact that Beekman's out and we're playing Shaffer over Louis tells me Lance might not even make the team.

I still think we'll acquire another guard one way or another.

What bothers me about this is that once again, we've handed the job to Frank Omiyale. We did this last year and he sucked the first half of the season.

Yeah, I saw that Tice said he'd try him there. It's an interesting idea, but I hope they're not relying on it. It seems like moving career tackles to the interior line is kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes it works out well, like with Robert Gallery, but a lot of them really seem to struggle with the change in technique.

I wouldn't compare this to Gallery. To me it's more like we did with John St. Claire. He was sort of an ultra-back-up. He was solid at every position but great at none. I don't get the impression we want him to start.

I'd love it if Shaffer can give the Bears an upgrade at LG, but I hope they're getting Beekman or Louis some reps with the second team so they have a fallback plan.

I could have read it wrong, but the impression I got from the article was that Beekman's out with injury for a short time and the job will be his to lose. It didn't mention Lance Louis. The fact that Beekman's out and we're playing Shaffer over Louis tells me Lance might not even make the team.

What bothers me about this is that once again, we've handed the job to Frank Omiyale. We did this last year and he sucked the first half of the season.

They still need to find someone, hopefully a starter that gets cut from another team because of youth or big contract.At least we might have an option for an upgrade if nothing materializes.

They still need to find someone, hopefully a starter that gets cut from another team because of youth or big contract.At least we might have an option for an upgrade if nothing materializes.

Shaffer is playing LG in camp right now because Beekman is playing center. You are forgetting that Kruetz is still out recovering from the surgery he had on his ankle.But if he can beat out beekman then it might be an upgrade.

Tice is saying he likes his guys, they have all bought into his system, and he doesn't want to bring in a vet. I know that would be different if there were a high caliber veteran available but there isn't. His opinion seems to be why bother bringing in a subpar vet when he's already got plenty of those to deal with?

Shaffer is playing LG in camp right now because Beekman is playing center. You are forgetting that Kruetz is still out recovering from the surgery he had on his ankle.But if he can beat out beekman then it might be an upgrade.

Damn, I didn't realize Kreutz hadn't made it back yet. Thanks for pointing that out.

Either way it seems odd to me. Hypothetically, does this mean if Kreutz gets hurt during the season, we'd move our probable starting LG to center and our possible starting RT to LG? (I think Shaffer ends up starting at RT . . . maybe not on opening day, but eventually).

Shouldn't we be entrentching players in the positions they're most likely to play?

Tice is saying he likes his guys, they have all bought into his system, and he doesn't want to bring in a vet. I know that would be different if there were a high caliber veteran available but there isn't. His opinion seems to be why bother bringing in a subpar vet when he's already got plenty of those to deal with?

IMO, this seems like a ton of hot air. I think this for 2 reasons:

1. What else is he supposed to say? Our LG position sucks ass! Help!

2. He basically saying he's a genious. He's saying, "If you give me a player, I'll make him good." So he'd rather have a bad player he's had time to work with then a more talented player with bad mechanics? Bullshit. I declare bullshit.

Damn, I didn't realize Kreutz hadn't made it back yet. Thanks for pointing that out.

Either way it seems odd to me. Hypothetically, does this mean if Kreutz gets hurt during the season, we'd move our probable starting LG to center and our possible starting RT to LG? (I think Shaffer ends up starting at RT . . . maybe not on opening day, but eventually).

Shouldn't we be entrentching players in the positions they're most likely to play?

BJ not to dispute you're theory but, I hope this huge man from West Texas A&M is the reason Schafer is being moved to LG.

IMO, this seems like a ton of hot air. I think this for 2 reasons:

1. What else is he supposed to say? Our LG position sucks ass! Help!

2. He basically saying he's a genious. He's saying, "If you give me a player, I'll make him good." So he'd rather have a bad player he's had time to work with then a more talented player with bad mechanics? Bullshit. I declare bullshit.

I admit to being very surprised by Tice's comments. At the very least I think he'd just state that it's all an open competition and use the standard Lovie line saying "we're always looking to make our team better." But he didn't.

I admit to being very surprised by Tice's comments. At the very least I think he'd just state that it's all an open competition and use the standard Lovie line saying "we're always looking to make our team better." But he didn't.

He forgot the standard company line in the bustle of trying to sell his super bowl tickets... :dabears In all seriousness though I hope the guy is as good as he thinks he is and our Oline improves, or this is gonna be a long painful season for Mr. Cutler.