Another possible LG

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/...k-/Default.aspx

Lutui on block?

May

5/16/2010 2:31:14 PM | More

Mike Sando of ESPN.com reports that the Cardinals might consider trading Deuce Lutui. Trading Lutui would make sense. I think he would have some value, But the Seahawks didn't get a great deal in return for Rob Sims, another established young guard with a future as a starter. Lutui remains an asset to the Cardinals even if he remains with the team, but if they could swap him for a comparable player at a position of greater need and greater value, that would make some sense.

Teams are still happy with their draft picks and free-agent acquisitions at this point in the offseason, however. Perhaps Lutui would have more value later in the offseason, perhaps when an injury affects another team's depth at the position. Remember, though, that the acquiring team might have to like Lutui enough to sign him to a multiyear deal. If the Cardinals can't get much in return, they should probably hold onto him.

Yes, and you got that breaking news a month ago on this board courtesy of your Arizona Bears fans. :D

Anyway I this is the dead part of the offseason where journalists are paid to talk about news even when they have none, so they grab an old item and recycle it. I agree with his assessment that the Cards will hold on for awhile to see if a decent bid comes in but I don't think they'll get much interest as most teams play the waiting game to evaluate their talent and also to see if Deuce gets cut.

For the record I don't think Deuce is a great fit for what we need with Martz but he could provide some solid depth for us and/or be a starter.

I like the idea of getting a LG. Yet the article indicates that Arizona wants a player in return. Now that we've traded Williams, I'm not sure we have much to give.

As for draft picks, it's too early for Arizona to just give him away. They'll want something. I want a full draft next year.

I want a full draft as well, but with Sims netting only a 5th, I would say if the pick is low enough, I would have no issues giving it up. I am not saying I would even do that, as I know little about this OG, but in general, while I don't want to give up any higher picks, a 5th rounder for a starter doesn't seem like a bad swap.

I like the idea of getting a LG. Yet the article indicates that Arizona wants a player in return. Now that we've traded Williams, I'm not sure we have much to give.

As for draft picks, it's too early for Arizona to just give him away. They'll want something. I want a full draft next year.

I want a full draft as well, but with Sims netting only a 5th, I would say if the pick is low enough, I would have no issues giving it up. I am not saying I would even do that, as I know little about this OG, but in general, while I don't want to give up any higher picks, a 5th rounder for a starter doesn't seem like a bad swap.

I can't argue with that. Although the article says that Luiti will likely want a multi-year deal from whoever trades for him. I believe we've maxed out what we're willing to spend for next year. That being said, I have no clue as to his worth.