Smith 3rd on PFT Coaching "Hot Seat"

madlithuanian

I think we can all agree we hope the team does well this year. If they do well however, I hope they do not quickly re-sign Lovie. After several years of awful play, I hope it takes more than one season for him to prove himself worthy of another new deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Seems about right... Only John Fox who has only one year on his contract and Tom Cable are avobe him on their list...

Agreed.

I think we can all agree we hope the team does well this year. If they do well however, I hope they do not quickly re-sign Lovie. After several years of awful play, I hope it takes more than one season for him to prove himself worthy of another new deal.

Agreed 100%.

When does Lovie's contract end?

In two more seasons. If he does well, the Bears should make him coach out his contract and than do it.

Of course...one big issue in there is the potential lockout for his final season. Which is, of course, why I asked. What do you do if there's only 1 season to judge him on?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Seems about right... Only John Fox who has only one year on his contract and Tom Cable are avobe him on their list...

MadLith: Another thing Lovie is third in is all- time winningest coach of the Bears behind Halas and Ditka.

I do agree that if things don't improve this year then Lovie should be asked to go but if the team improves I agree with the idea of letting him coach out his contract and then assess.

But unlike those, he holds no championships...

And it's plain sad that he is the 3rd winningest coach in Bears history. Hoever, Halas pretty much has the record for games coached...so we're only really talking the modern era. And look at the banner names that lead...Gibron, Wanny, Jauron, etc...

This city deserves better. I don't want Wayne Fontes (just good enough to make playoffs and keep his job...) I want to win it all.

And I disagree that I just want to see improvement. I want to see SIGNIFICANT improvement.

I realize, I make no bones about my dislike of Smith as head coach. If he does a knockout job of coaching making good decisions, showing adjustments at halftime at minimum, challenging the right wrong calls, having his d-backs not just line up 10 yds off the LOS, etc...and making a solid run into the playoffs, I've got no problem hodling onto him and making a needed extention for a year if the lockout/strike occurs. Anything less than that should result in a pink slip.

MadLith: Another thing Lovie is third in is all- time winningest coach of the Bears behind Halas and Ditka.

I do agree that if things don't improve this year then Lovie should be asked to go but if the team improves I agree with the idea of letting him coach out his contract and then assess.

You can pretty well bet that with Martz signing as OC it gave Lovie at least till his contract end. I dont see him being fired for one season with whole change in offensive philosophy. If they make the playoffs first year with martz running the O, I can pretty guarnatee that Lovie will be here for his final year.

But unlike those, he holds no championships...

And it's plain sad that he is the 3rd winningest coach in Bears history. Hoever, Halas pretty much has the record for games coached...so we're only really talking the modern era. And look at the banner names that lead...Gibron, Wanny, Jauron, etc...

This city deserves better. I don't want Wayne Fontes (just good enough to make playoffs and keep his job...) I want to win it all.

And I disagree that I just want to see improvement. I want to see SIGNIFICANT improvement.

I realize, I make no bones about my dislike of Smith as head coach. If he does a knockout job of coaching making good decisions, showing adjustments at halftime at minimum, challenging the right wrong calls, having his d-backs not just line up 10 yds off the LOS, etc...and making a solid run into the playoffs, I've got no problem hodling onto him and making a needed extention for a year if the lockout/strike occurs. Anything less than that should result in a pink slip.

Sorry its been a while since I've posted, pretty dead for a while. While I am pleased with the offseason, I still have to be the pesimist here. Just my opinion not trying to stir a pot but I'm still not pleased with him due to the fact that he has now brought all of "HIS" coaches on board. He took over the defense last year and I know that we were pretty battered with injuries but the defense has gone down hill since old chico left and I still can't get past the whole defense getting worse each year. I think we would defintely have to make it to the conference championships for him to coach out his contract b/c with the spending and last couple years of mortgaging the future I haven't seen the improvements warranted with his decisions (a second for gaines adams??? That was al davis esq.). Just a playoff berth won't do it for me. But then again I'm biased b/c I want cowher here someone who had solid teams year in and year out. Just my 2 cents of an opinion.

Sorry its been a while since I've posted, pretty dead for a while. While I am pleased with the offseason, I still have to be the pesimist here. Just my opinion not trying to stir a pot but I'm still not pleased with him due to the fact that he has now brought all of "HIS" coaches on board. He took over the defense last year and I know that we were pretty battered with injuries but the defense has gone down hill since old chico left and I still can't get past the whole defense getting worse each year. I think we would defintely have to make it to the conference championships for him to coach out his contract b/c with the spending and last couple years of mortgaging the future I haven't seen the improvements warranted with his decisions (a second for gaines adams??? That was al davis esq.). Just a playoff berth won't do it for me. But then again I'm biased b/c I want cowher here someone who had solid teams year in and year out. Just my 2 cents of an opinion.

Thanks for your civil replies. I am one of maybe one that likes Lovie and would like to see him win it all. As far as Cowher goes, I am always flabbergasted when I see those wishing for him to be the next coach. I can't remember where or exactly when it was but there was an article some time back where it was said that coaches that go from one team to another, especially if they were previously successful, rarely continue that trend. I think with the Steelers (as an example) it is more the ownership/management that is successful rather than the coaches. In Chicago it too is successful but in a different way. They are not only the oldest team in the NFL but also the winningest team in history. Mostly due to the likes of Halas, coincidently which is the tie to the current ownership in Chicago.

At any rate, going along with MadLith's desire to "win it all" I ask what if Lovie does win it all? What if he doesn't and "they" bring in a new coach, how long does he (the new guy) have to "win it all" before they too need to move on? There aren't that many Bill Belichick's out there. Lest we be reminded that he (Belichick) actually went from not so good (in Cleveland) to a bit better (New England). Regardless of "modern era" or not, Lovie has a winning record plain and simple. The others you make comparisons to, did not.

So if not Lovie, then who???

bear trap, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

He and Angelo have pretty much earned a swift kick in the a$$ and should have been bounced after last season. But, they are here to give it one last hurrah. Let's hope the light goes off for both.

I too want Cowher... Moreso, I want a coach that can adapt to what it placed before him. I want a Parcells-like coach. He's always made the most out of the least.

I really think that if the D is a misrable failure yeat again, regardless of the O, that could spell doom for Smith. At least one would hope.

You can pretty well bet that with Martz signing as OC it gave Lovie at least till his contract end. I dont see him being fired for one season with whole change in offensive philosophy. If they make the playoffs first year with martz running the O, I can pretty guarnatee that Lovie will be here for his final year.

Seriously, if Smith wins it all, not only will I be shocked, but I'll be extremely happy! It's not impossible for someone to change their ways and bring about positive change. It's just not very likely. But, I'd be beyond ecstatic is we won another Super Bowl! If Smith fails to do so, or more importantly, makes no significant push into the playoffs, I welcome a new coaching, and hopefully, management staff. The new staff would have pretty much the same time as any other team would give them. Basically 5 years. 3 to show significant improvement, then 2 to seal the deal. If after 3, there isn't significant improvement, it may be time to start anew. It would depend on the circumstances.

Belichick went from horrid, to pretty outstanding. Not just a bit better. It took only 2 years once he got the second chance in NE. His frist in NE was bad, then the next, he won a SB...

I honestly could care less about a winning record. I care about championships. If you get the championship, the record will happen as part of it. But just having a good record, doesn't mean you have a coach that knows post-season success. I also care about being tough. And our team under Smith is not tough. I can swallow the bitter pill of losees if I know our team is at least giving their all and making the other team pay in pain. So our next coach I think should instill that. That could be Cowher, that could be Russ Grimm, that could be Ron Rivera, or a number of others that just aren't coming to mind.

At any rate, going along with MadLith's desire to "win it all" I ask what if Lovie does win it all? What if he doesn't and "they" bring in a new coach, how long does he (the new guy) have to "win it all" before they too need to move on? There aren't that many Bill Belichick's out there. Lest we be reminded that he (Belichick) actually went from not so good (in Cleveland) to a bit better (New England). Regardless of "modern era" or not, Lovie has a winning record plain and simple. The others you make comparisons to, did not.

So if not Lovie, then who???

I am not saying that Lovie has to be fired, even if we have a good season. All I am saying is I hope we do not jump to reup him if he has one good season. Let him play it out. If the team does well for a 2nd season, then they can look at re-signing him, but not simply after one year.