Mike Ditka, Dan Hampton pile on Brian Urlacher

madlithuanian

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 21, 2010 12:52 PM ET

Pretty soon, every living Chicago Bears Hall of Famer will have given Brian Urlacher a public scolding.

First Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers got into a war of words with Urlacher, then Hall of Fame linebacker Dick Butkus took Sayers' side. Now Hall of Fame defensive tackle Dan Hampton and Hall of Fame tight end (and former head coach) Mike Ditka are dressing Urlacher down as well.

Hampton told ESPN Chicago that Urlacher needs thicker skin.

"You can't have thin skin if you can't win," Hampton said. "That's just the way it is. Buddy Ryan used to say, 'We're not in the business of playing football, we're in the business of winning games.' Ultimately, [the Bears] haven't been successful in three years. However you want to cut it, those are the facts. Gale Sayers just had the audacity to point it out."

Ditka added that Urlacher should respect Sayers' on-field accomplishments.

"If he doesn't get hurt when he does, I'm telling you, nobody would ever break his records," Ditka said of Sayers. "I was there. He made me look good on blocks. I didn't know where I was half the time. The guy was unbelievable. I saw him. Brian never saw this, but that's OK."

Ditka added that Urlacher should spend more time worrying about the teams that finished ahead of the Bears in the NFC North and less time worrying about Sayers.

"The Bears are in the North division. Right now, they have two concerns: Green Bay and Minnesota," Ditka said. "That should be their only two concerns. Unless they can control their division they're not going to win. And right now there are two teams that are playing better than they are, and that's Green Bay and Minnesota. That's not good."

Maybe the Detroit Lions can use those words as bulletin-board material. And maybe Urlacher can too.

Again, I just ask how some of these players would have responded if, when they were playing (and losing) if former bear players ripped them in the press. Considering the character of some of these players, I have a feeling we may have heard even more from them. Hampton may have challenged the former player to a wrestling match. Ditka would have told that former player where he was going to shove a lit cigar the next time he saw him. Butkis would have just ripped his head off. Sayer? Lets not pretend he was the most friendly sort to start with, nor the best PR guy, though he likely would have just blown off the reporters who asked him for a response.

I would say Urlacher screwed the pooch w/ his comments, but you know the saying about glass houses. I doubt those bear greats would have reacted so differently.

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 21, 2010 12:52 PM ET

Pretty soon, every living Chicago Bears Hall of Famer will have given Brian Urlacher a public scolding.

First Hall of Fame running back Gale Sayers got into a war of words with Urlacher, then Hall of Fame linebacker Dick Butkus took Sayers' side. Now Hall of Fame defensive tackle Dan Hampton and Hall of Fame tight end (and former head coach) Mike Ditka are dressing Urlacher down as well.

Hampton told ESPN Chicago that Urlacher needs thicker skin.

"You can't have thin skin if you can't win," Hampton said. "That's just the way it is. Buddy Ryan used to say, 'We're not in the business of playing football, we're in the business of winning games.' Ultimately, [the Bears] haven't been successful in three years. However you want to cut it, those are the facts. Gale Sayers just had the audacity to point it out."

Ditka added that Urlacher should respect Sayers' on-field accomplishments.

"If he doesn't get hurt when he does, I'm telling you, nobody would ever break his records," Ditka said of Sayers. "I was there. He made me look good on blocks. I didn't know where I was half the time. The guy was unbelievable. I saw him. Brian never saw this, but that's OK."

Ditka added that Urlacher should spend more time worrying about the teams that finished ahead of the Bears in the NFC North and less time worrying about Sayers.

"The Bears are in the North division. Right now, they have two concerns: Green Bay and Minnesota," Ditka said. "That should be their only two concerns. Unless they can control their division they're not going to win. And right now there are two teams that are playing better than they are, and that's Green Bay and Minnesota. That's not good."

Maybe the Detroit Lions can use those words as bulletin-board material. And maybe Urlacher can too.

Bottom line...news is thin. The Bears have sucked for the past 3 years and are easy pickens right now.

Truthfully, what difference does it make? The fact is, those guys weren't asked that when they played. Url is being asked that now. He is the product of his generation, and that includes an endless stream of hype and media coverage. He needs to simply deal with it better I think. Maybe it just one's perception. I don't view Sayers comments as harsh, just trughful. And I see Url's as defensive and petty. But, maybe that's just me. I think the crux is that Sayers, Ditka, Butkus all make the harsher comments because they want to see the team do better. Url just sounds like he's taking a cheap shot at Sayers for never winning a championship. And Sayers will never have that opportunity. Whereas, Url could take some of the comments made by those guys, and still have a chance to win and get better.

I do think, that big picture-wise, Url is always better doing his talking on the field. Even a quip like..."Well, Mr. Sayers is entitled to his opinion. My job is to go out, give it my all, and help my team prove him wrong." would have been just fine.

Again, I just ask how some of these players would have responded if, when they were playing (and losing) if former bear players ripped them in the press. Considering the character of some of these players, I have a feeling we may have heard even more from them. Hampton may have challenged the former player to a wrestling match. Ditka would have told that former player where he was going to shove a lit cigar the next time he saw him. Butkis would have just ripped his head off. Sayer? Lets not pretend he was the most friendly sort to start with, nor the best PR guy, though he likely would have just blown off the reporters who asked him for a response.

I would say Urlacher screwed the pooch w/ his comments, but you know the saying about glass houses. I doubt those bear greats would have reacted so differently.

Bottom line...news is thin. The Bears have sucked for the past 3 years and are easy pickens right now.

Truthfully, what difference does it make? The fact is, those guys weren't asked that when they played. Url is being asked that now. He is the product of his generation, and that includes an endless stream of hype and media coverage. He needs to simply deal with it better I think. Maybe it just one's perception. I don't view Sayers comments as harsh, just trughful. And I see Url's as defensive and petty. But, maybe that's just me. I think the crux is that Sayers, Ditka, Butkus all make the harsher comments because they want to see the team do better. Url just sounds like he's taking a cheap shot at Sayers for never winning a championship. And Sayers will never have that opportunity. Whereas, Url could take some of the comments made by those guys, and still have a chance to win and get better.

I do think, that big picture-wise, Url is always better doing his talking on the field. Even a quip like..."Well, Mr. Sayers is entitled to his opinion. My job is to go out, give it my all, and help my team prove him wrong." would have been just fine.

Just read Don Pompei on the Trib site--It's not a big deal! I agree, but yeah, not much else going on. Maybe we can focus o mini camp now.