Mincamp day 1

madlithuanian

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2010/05/mi...port_day_1.html

Minicamp report: Day 1

By Neil Hayeson May 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

Brian Urlacher made a leaping interception of a Jay Cutler pass. Julius Peppers lined up at right and left end and pressured quarterbacks several times, even knocking the ball out of Cutler's hand once. Rookie safety Major Wright, a noted big hitter in college, had to be reminded that the Bears first minicamp practice was a non-contact affair.

"It felt good," Peppers said. "It has been a while since we had the helmets on so getting back to football activities is a good thing."

It was only a May minicamp, but the workout seemed quicker and more up-tempo than training-camp and regular-season practices in the past.

"I definitely say there's a sense of urgency," coach Lovie Smith said. "We want to improve. Having five practices we want to get as much done when we have an opportunity to do it. We're anxious to get to the regular season and have a chance to play Detroit."

Tommie Harris sat out the morning workout and Pisa Tinoisamoa will not practice this afternoon as Smith tries to keep the veteran defensive tackle and linebacker healthy. Center Olin Kreutz, who is still recovering from surgery to remove a bone spur near his Achilles tendon, also did not practice. Defensive tackle Marcus Harrison was sick but could return today or Sunday. Tight end Brandon Manumaleuna recently underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and watched from the sideline.

It was the first time the media had seen offensive players running new offensive coordinator Mike Martz's system.

"The guys are picking it up," Smith said. "They're excited about what we'll be as an offensive team. You have to score points. We need to score, and score often."

There were no big surprises in terms of the depth chart. Chris Harris and Danieal Manning lined up as the first-team safeties. Matt Forte ran with the first-team offense while Chester Taylor took snaps with the second team. Tinoisamoa was mostly on the field with entrenched starters Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. Nick Roach, who was forced into the starting lineup when Tinoisamoa was injured last season, will likely get a long look with the first team this afternoon as Tinoisamoa watches.

Tim Jennings was the first-team cornerback while Charles Tillman worked with the second team, a likely result of Tillman not attending all the "voluntary" workouts.

"Charles Tillman is one of our guys," Smith said. "Every year I've been here that's been the case and that won't change."

Don't read too much into who is doing what in minicamp, however. Things can and often do change radically once the pads go on. With Kreutz out, for example, Josh Beekman played center and several players, including Johan Asiata and rookie free-agent Vince Vance, logged time at left guard.

"There's no second or first team right now," Smith said. "There's a starting rotation you have based on who has been here the most right now. When some of the players haven't been here the entire time you don't know what kind of condition they're in and you have to get them out here and see."

This entry will be updated after the second practice.

My impressions from photos and videos (yeah it's the offseason and I'm bored):

It's only two plays but from the Trib video I was surprised at the quick cadence of the offense in the first day of minicamp. I didn't expect to see the coaches push that sense of urgency so early on but I like it and the reporters seemed to confirm that it was that way throughout the practices.

Forte has more quickness than I saw last year. Reporters commented on this and in the video on the Bears' site he looks quick and fluid moving through the D. Just minicamp so defenders can't hit but it still shows on his pass routes when DBs try to cover him.

Mark Anderson looks like he's had another good offseason working out and appears to be bulked up a bit and stronger. I felt last offseason was the first time I'd seen him look like he had worked out hard and in general he played better than in '08. I hope that's true again this year. Maybe we'll finally see the player we thought we'd get after his rookie season.

Johnny Knox doesn't appear to have bulked up much if at all. I was hoping to see him add 10lbs.

Urlacher looks like to be in good shape too possibly a bit leaner than last year, same goes for Cutler.

Gary (bowlingtwig) and I went to the Fan Convention last year and were fortunate enough to get the signatures & a hand shake from Knox and Gilbert and I can tell you he definitely spends time with the weights. He may be small but if you ever see him in a t-shirt he is ripped and extremely well built for a small guy.

Not even questioning if Knox is ripped and said as much last year when I saw the video of him dunking a basketball. I just hoped he'd appear to be a bit bigger as it looks like his frame could handle a few more pounds to help him get off press coverage without losing any quickness. It's just a couple photos of him catching passes so it's hard to tell we'll see what folks say during training camp.