One of my biggest concerns

Grouchy Bear

It's nice to hear the young Olinemen making progress.

Here is some Q and A's from a Tice interview : http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears

CHICAGO -- Chicago Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice spent some time Wednesday on the “Afternoon Saloon” on ESPN 1000 discussing some of the technical aspects of offensive line play, and they relate to the Bears for the upcoming season.

Because Tice was so detailed in his responses to great questions from Carmen DeFalco, John Jurkovic and Harry Teinowitz, we decided to paraphrase the questions and transcribe the whole interview in a question-and-answer format so you can get the full gist of the offensive line coach’s thoughts on a variety of subjects relating to the Bears:

How have things been coming along in your short time with the Bears?

“Really pleased with how things have gone to this point with the group. The offensive line group has got a lot of talent; got a lot of young guys in the room who have the ability to play at this level. [i’m] really, really pleased with their progress to this point; most notably Johan Asiata and Lance Louis have really stepped it up as young players and showed me that they have the ability and the maturity to play at this level sooner than later.”

“I like how the group is accepting coaching. I like how they’re working. We’ve identified some areas for each of the guys who are returning that they need to work on, and they’ve worked diligently at those things.”

What are some of the areas you’re referring to?

“First and foremost across the board, so we can include everybody in there, is their usage of hands, carrying their hands higher and not dropping their hands, which in turn makes their shoulders go forward, which in turn makes them whiff. We’ve been working diligently on their hands every day. We’re working a bag that we’ve designed to help them with their hand carriage and the way they approach and strike with their hands, not only in the run game, but in pass protection, too.”

“The other thing we’re working on is their steps; their footwork. We want to be more forward. We want to be taking the line of scrimmage and having a more positive step towards the line of scrimmage. [We want] to try to eliminate any type of bucket step or drop step. Those things take time. It takes repetitions. It takes the guys buying in. Then of course, it takes them seeing some success with that, and I think they were able to see some success with it in this minicamp. So now I think they’ll be excited to come back next Wednesday for the OTA days.”

How will Frank Omiyale’s move to tackle from guard be beneficial from what you’ve seen?

(Tice explains that he graded the entire 2009 Bears season as if he had been coaching the offensive line) “I took a couple of weeks to grade the whole season. A lot of people in the building, a lot of people in the media, a lot of fans had opinions about how everybody played last year and I really needed to see for myself. So with that said, Frank actually got better as the season went on. When he came back in [during] the second wave after he missed some time, he actually played better. He played winning football later in the season. Early on he did struggle some. He did have some problems. I think [it was because] he was playing inside for the first time with those long arms. He just was not comfortable. Moving out to tackle is a position he’s played most of his career, albeit on the left side. But he’s such a good athlete, and has so much lateral quickness, explosion and recoverability. He’s really fit in pretty decently on the right side as we’ve progressed.”

How important is left tackle Chris Williams to the team’s plans?

“He was really a rookie last year because he missed his first year with a back injury. I graded him at two spots. I graded him out at right tackle, [and] then I graded him out as a left tackle. His grade was significantly higher on the left side, and that is a spot that he played in college. I liked him coming out. I said that before, I‘ll say it again. I was really high on him coming out of college. I gave him a first-round grade; a high first-round grade. He has the ability to be that guy, that island left tackle if you will. But he has some work to do. His left hand is consistently dropping. He needs to get that thing up. He needs to set more squarely when he comes back in pass protection, and do a better job at stunt pickup. So he’s got some work to do. I just think the sky’s the limit for Chris. How good does he want to be?

What type of running plays will be featured in the new offense under Mike Martz?

“We’re gonna be able to run the football, I can promise you that. We’re gonna have a number of different areas that we’re gonna be good at. We’re very athletic. So we’re gonna try to get our guys out in space. I think we’ll be very good in the draw game. I know we’re gonna be able to run the inside zone because in my tenure, everywhere I’ve been, we’ve been able to run the inside zone. So we’ll be able to run the inside zone. We’ll dabble a little bit with power, but probably not as much as they ran it here last year. It wouldn’t necessarily be on our priority list, but we’ll certainly have it.”

“I think really what happens, and Mike and I have talked about this quite often, is you put your plays in -- and believe me, we’ve got plenty of plays -- we put the plays in and we think we know what the guys are gonna be. Really until you get into pads and you start to see what the back is good at, what the linemen are good at, what combination blocks they excel at, that’s gonna define who you are in the running game. I’ve told the story plenty of times…one year in Minnesota, we were the best inside run team in the league. I had coaches calling me and Bill Parcells was talking about it. The next year we come out and we couldn’t even run the inside zone. We were just OK at it. What happens is you get different people in there, and maybe the play hits in a different area because you’re a little stronger in another position. Maybe you’re a little stronger at left guard, and a little stronger at right tackle. So you have to be able to run the ball behind those players who are good at those certain combination blocks.”

How important is the center in those combination blocks. Isn’t that where it all starts?

“I disagree with you. I think the key to all good running teams is cutting off the play on the back side. I think you have to establish that you’re gonna cut off that pursuit on the back side. This league is all about speed on defense, and you’ve got to not have those guys come over the top and make the play from the back side. I think you have to be able to cut the defense somewhere. The way we’ve designed our running game, each play is designed to cut the defense in two areas. That’s a part of the play that the running back understands where we’re trying to cut the defense, and that’s where we’re trying to hit the football; at least to start out with, and then we’ll go from there. I will say this: If you can’t handle the nose tackle in the running game, you can’t run the ball at any level [whether it’s] college, high school, little league. In the NFL, you’ve got to be able to handle the nose tackle, and that’s not always the center [doing that]. That could be the guard, also.”

Greg Olsen has been criticized about a perceived unwillingness to block. What’s been your experience with Olsen in blocking?

“I just was talking to [tight ends coach] Mike Debord a minute ago. We’re gonna do some drills with the tackles and tight ends on Tuesday, get together, and clean a few things up. We were just talking about Greg and how he’s approached the offseason, how he’s really trying to improve his footwork, improve his base, improve his balance. So he has been willing. We’re very pleased with where Greg is right now. He’s a pro and we’re very pleased that he’s accepted the fact that he needs to block better. He’s gone after it.”

Michael C. Wright covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com.

That is the one thing that really has not been discussed much , is the impact of Tice. I never knew of Tice mincing words or one to exagerate players abilities. For him to say Louis and Asiata are pushing for playing time is something Iam really not used to seeing from a Bears coaching staff. If by all chances this is true maybe JA will get some reprieve on drafting of OL>

How refreshing to hear an Oline coach NOT SAY all his players are doing well and that the fans don't know what they are talking about.

I am really glad to see both Tice and Martz focus in on the details of execution. Not just from a "we gotta run this play right" approach but rather the details of how receivers make their cuts, QB throwing fundamentals, blocking fundamentals, etc. I think these aspects have been lacking in the past and this will pay off for us as the season progresses. Fundamentals don't guarantee success but you don't have success without fundamentals.

"We want to be more forward. We want to be taking the line of scrimmage and having a more positive step towards the line of scrimmage. [We want] to try to eliminate any type of bucket step or drop step".

I could not agree more with this statement from Tice. I want our OL to fire off the ball and move forward; not the backstepping we watched the last few seasons.

Last few seasons? I think we have been doing that sort of blocking technique for a long time.

"We want to be more forward. We want to be taking the line of scrimmage and having a more positive step towards the line of scrimmage. [We want] to try to eliminate any type of bucket step or drop step".

I could not agree more with this statement from Tice. I want our OL to fire off the ball and move forward; not the backstepping we watched the last few seasons.

So often we read about how its all about the players, but IMHO, it is times like this that really point out the coaching.

Tice talks about how you have to keep your hand up, or you drop your shoulder, and when they happens, you get beat. What is shocking is not him talking about this, but talking about it like it was a problem. It seems like a very basic blocking principle, but one that wasn't dealt with previously.

I have wanted to deal with the OL for a while now, both in terms of personnel and coaching. While we didn't get the infusion of personnel changes I would have liked to see this past offseason, we did get the coaching change, and that could be as big of an upgrade.

How refreshing to hear an Oline coach NOT SAY all his players are doing well and that the fans don't know what they are talking about.

I am really glad to see both Tice and Martz focus in on the details of execution. Not just from a "we gotta run this play right" approach but rather the details of how receivers make their cuts, QB throwing fundamentals, blocking fundamentals, etc. I think these aspects have been lacking in the past and this will pay off for us as the season progresses. Fundamentals don't guarantee success but you don't have success without fundamentals.

Did he say they are pushing for playing time? I saw where he said they are doing well in development, and could be ready to play at this level sooner than expected, but I am not sure that means they are in the mix for a starting job this year. Its always good to read positive things about youth, but I just wonder how far along they are.

That is the one thing that really has not been discussed much , is the impact of Tice. I never knew of Tice mincing words or one to exagerate players abilities. For him to say Louis and Asiata are pushing for playing time is something Iam really not used to seeing from a Bears coaching staff. If by all chances this is true maybe JA will get some reprieve on drafting of OL>

I am in agreement too! Last season it was said to be one of the biggest problems Omiyale had; he struggled adjusting to making a drop step before moving forward. It's an assumption on my part but if that was true because he had never done that before then he should be getting back to what he used to do and hopefully he'll be a better run blocker using Tice's technique.

The good old bucket step. I was pissed when they went to that bucket step/zone blocking bullshit.

Man, how long has it been since we went to that crap? Did it start with Juaron or Wanny?

I played OT in school. I loved firing off the snap and dominating my man before he had a chance to react. I love pancakes, LOL.

This Pussy Footing blocking scheme we use to run drove me nuts. Once I found out Tice is "old school" I was happy!

I don't know how long we have been using that technique.

If I had to guess when we started it, I would say with Jauron, around 1999. Wanny tried to use a more power OL with Weigman at center, Big Cat, etc. Jauron came in and they began to shift to an athletic OL. That was the year we sign Blake Brockemeyer who was considered mobile and athletic, but lacking in power. We drafted Kreutz the previous year, but we started him over Weigman in 1999 as we were moving to the finese style. I realize it may be hard to think of Kreutz as finese today, but that is what he was utilizing leverage and angles.

By the time of Angelo and Lovie, the transition was complete as saw the loss of more power OL like Big Cat and Villarial adding players like Tait, Tucker, Gandy and others who were considered more athletic.

What I am curious to see is, how our current personnel works in a more power, blast off the ball system. Make no mistake, I am thrilled with the system change, but I am also interested to see just how some of our players play in such a system. Williams was considered a finese LT lacking power. Kreutz is under-sized to begin with, and you have to wonder if he can get it done in such a scheme, especially as he has spent his entire career using a very different blocking technique. Garza doesn't seem to be overly powerful. This technique could also work against Beekman, which could be a big reason why Tice is talking about some of the younger OL like Louis and that other guy, who I think have more power. This technique could really help Omiyale, who was considered a powerful guy when we added him.

Anyway, I LOVE that we are moving to a different blocking system, and love that we have a legit OL coach for a change, but at the same time, I also wonder if we have the personnel in place to fit such a system. Also, OL is a unit that often takes time to develop chemistry, and we were going to have our hands full in that area simply with all the new faces at new places, and now we are adding a drastically different system. I just wonder how soon, if at all, we will see the results we hope to see.

The good old bucket step. I was pissed when they went to that bucket step/zone blocking bullshit.

Man, how long has it been since we went to that crap? Did it start with Juaron or Wanny?

I played OT in school. I loved firing off the snap and dominating my man before he had a chance to react. I love pancakes, LOL.

This Pussy Footing blocking scheme we use to run drove me nuts. Once I found out Tice is "old school" I was happy!

I'm not sold on him as an OL coach. He's a good guy and I like him because of that, but I'm not sure all the talk isn't anything more than hype, ala Marinelli(sp.), but Marinelli was more proven.

He hasn't been an offensive line coach in nearly 10 years, 2001. He only did so for 4 years, (97-2001).

If he was considered a good offensive line coach around the league, then I don't understand why he didn't find employment as something better than assistant head coach/ te coach in that time.

I like what he is saying, but I want to see it in action.

Agreed.

We've honestly heard so much talk these past years after the failed SB, that I no longer trust anything until I see it. It all sure sounds good. But it's all about deeds, not words.

I'm not sold on him as an OL coach. He's a good guy and I like him because of that, but I'm not sure all the talk isn't anything more than hype, ala Marinelli(sp.), but Marinelli was more proven.

He hasn't been an offensive line coach in nearly 10 years, 2001. He only did so for 4 years, (97-2001).

If he was considered a good offensive line coach around the league, then I don't understand why he didn't find employment as something better than assistant head coach/ te coach in that time.

I totally understand what you are saying, and I am not one to normally drink the koolaid, but this is how I look at it.

IMHO, while personnel has w/o a question been an issue along the OL, I have screamed for years that coaching has been a huge part of the problem as well. Tice is very well thought of in terms of OL, and even if he is not some OL genius, he is a big upgrade over what we had.

I understand the comparison with Marinelli, but here is the difference I would point out. While Marinelli took over the DL, he was still only part of a VERY flawed system in which Lovie was running as the DC. He was still confined to work the DL w/in the system Lovie forced on the team. I think the situation with Tice is different. Make no mistake, I am not fully sold on Martz' system, but at the same time, I think he will have more freedom to work with the OL.

At the end of the day, I look at it like this. Tice is w/ little quesiton an upgrade over the past OL coaching. Further, we are going to move from a poor blocking technique to one I have wanted for some time. Finally, while our OL is not loaded with talent, I think we have talent to work with. On the DL, everyone hoped Marinelli could work a miracle w/ the likes of Anderson, Brown and Wale, and I always questioned how realistic that was. On the OL, Tice has a top 15 pick to work with and develop at LT. Omiyale was a bust as an OG, but should have never been moved there in the first place, and is now back outside where he should have been to start with. LG is still a big question, but we at least have young talent to work with. Finally, while you want talent along the OL, I think you can get by better with solid technique and chemistry, while the DL goes no where w/o elite talent.

So I have sipped the koolaid with regard to the OL a tad, but I think there is reason to do so.

I totally understand what you are saying, and I am not one to normally drink the koolaid, but this is how I look at it.

IMHO, while personnel has w/o a question been an issue along the OL, I have screamed for years that coaching has been a huge part of the problem as well. Tice is very well thought of in terms of OL, and even if he is not some OL genius, he is a big upgrade over what we had.

I understand the comparison with Marinelli, but here is the difference I would point out. While Marinelli took over the DL, he was still only part of a VERY flawed system in which Lovie was running as the DC. He was still confined to work the DL w/in the system Lovie forced on the team. I think the situation with Tice is different. Make no mistake, I am not fully sold on Martz' system, but at the same time, I think he will have more freedom to work with the OL.

At the end of the day, I look at it like this. Tice is w/ little quesiton an upgrade over the past OL coaching. Further, we are going to move from a poor blocking technique to one I have wanted for some time. Finally, while our OL is not loaded with talent, I think we have talent to work with. On the DL, everyone hoped Marinelli could work a miracle w/ the likes of Anderson, Brown and Wale, and I always questioned how realistic that was. On the OL, Tice has a top 15 pick to work with and develop at LT. Omiyale was a bust as an OG, but should have never been moved there in the first place, and is now back outside where he should have been to start with. LG is still a big question, but we at least have young talent to work with. Finally, while you want talent along the OL, I think you can get by better with solid technique and chemistry, while the DL goes no where w/o elite talent.

So I have sipped the koolaid with regard to the OL a tad, but I think there is reason to do so.

I'm not trying to pee on anyones cheerio's or take away their Kool Aid. I'm glad to see people that have some, because it's about impossible for me to right now.

I want to see a running game, but I just don't think the talent there on the Oline. Russ Grimm is probably the most well known OL coach but the cards have been pretty low in rushing yards the last couple years, bottom 5 this year and dead last the year before.

It also bothers me that all of the Bears coaches peaked like 10 years ago.

First, I think you need to take a closer look at Az and Grimm. You say they were bottom 5 in rushing this year, but was that due to poor rushing or lack of attempts. Wells had nearly 800 yards and 4.5 ypc. Hightower 600 yards with a 4.2 avg. They were able to run the ball, but choose to throw it instead. Before this year, they had the washed up Edge James, so how much is the fault of the OL and how much is lacking a RB.

Second, I get the "peaked 10 years ago", but something to consider. So often a coach does well at one level, is promoted, then fails. That doesn't mean he wasn't a good coach at the previous level. How often do fans talk about how great our ST coach is and how he should be promoted. What happens if that happens and he fails. Does that mean he would not again be a good STs coach? I was not for the idea of Tice as an OC, but as a OL coach, I liked the move.

IMHO, the bigger concern to our having a run game is Martz. I wonder if we won't be similar to Az in that we could have an effective run game, but one that simply isn't given a ton of attempts due to Martz loving to pass so much.

Remember, I am the one usually pissing on everyone's koolaid, and I have not gotten drunk on it this year. I still have HUGE concerns about this team, but the OL is an area I have some hope. Not confidence by any means, but hope, which is a HUGE change for me.

I'm not trying to pee on anyones cheerio's or take away their Kool Aid. I'm glad to see people that have some, because it's about impossible for me to right now.

I want to see a running game, but I just don't think the talent there on the Oline. Russ Grimm is probably the most well known OL coach but the cards have been pretty low in rushing yards the last couple years, bottom 5 this year and dead last the year before.

Remember, I am the one usually pissing on everyone's koolaid, and I have not gotten drunk on it this year. I still have HUGE concerns about this team, but the OL is an area I have some hope. Not confidence by any means, but hope, which is a HUGE change for me.

Who could forget! LOL

I too am optomistic, but cautiously so. I'm sipping kool aide, but slowly.

Who could forget! LOL

I too am optomistic, but cautiously so. I'm sipping kool aide, but slowly.

The OLine does not worry me extremely...there are many more important concerns IMO. How is Martz's system going to work in its first year? How is Cutler going to look? Is the DLine going to generate a pass rush, can our secondary be effective? Can our coaching come up to first class standard? Those, and other, questions will worry me more....

You might want to have a chat with Kurt Warner about that. After his 4th or 5th game as a starter he went to Whisenhunt and pushed to open up the offense with more passing. Whisenhunt agreed and the Cards went to the Superbowl. After that miracle they weren't going to change strategy last year. This year is a totally different story because their QBs aren't very good and everyone agrees the Cards are going to focus on the run game behind Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower. You'll get your chance to see how well they block when everyone knows they are going to run.

Maybe, maybe not. They still averaged in the bottom half of the league with their 4.1 yards per carry this year, and were pretty pitiful in short yardage situations, when you need to run.

Either way, there wasn't a dramatic automatic improvement in their line after the addition of the most well known OL coach in the league. I'm not saying he is a bad coach, just that a coach can only do so much with the players he has.

Tice was a TE in the league for 14 or 15 years, then became a TE coach for a year for the Vikings, then promoted to OL coach and coached it for 4 or 5 years on a team with alot of great players on offense. Then he gets the head coaching gig, after that the only job he can find is as a TE coach for a buddy of his he used to play with on the Vikings.

He might be a good OL coach I Just find it hard to consider him a guy that will make a dramatic impact that turns the players on this line nto good players. It's not like he was a highly sought after, OL mastermind of a coach, that has been doing it for 20 years.He did it on an extremely talent team, with great players, 10 years ago.

Lord knows this team needs to run. Martz tendency to pass and Cutler's tendency scares me enough. Like a Bronco's fan said the other day. The Bears got the better end of the trade. All the Bronco's got was orton and 3 picks, while the Bears got cutler and 27 picks.

- I still simply disagree about Az. It was my understanding that their OL have in fact considerably improved in the time since Grimm was hired. Their OL was dreadful, and while it can be debated just how good they are today, I think few would argue they have improved, and some would argue they have improved a lot. Maybe one of our Bear fans in Az can offer some input.

- You talk about how Tice dangled out there, but isn't that pretty much what usually happens when a coach bombs? When a coach bombs as a HC, you often see them taking a step back, nor just in position, but often overall. Some take a year off while they do some media work, or they hook up with a friend to coach at a lower level. I think it is pretty typical.

Look, I am not saying Tice is a saviour. Not even close. Do I think we are going to suddenly find a bunch of players along our OL making the pro bowl this year? No. But again, I don't think we have to only look at extremes. Can Tice improve our OL? I would argue yes, and I think there are plenty of reasons to believe that will be so.

(a) I think we will enter the season with a better group than we did last year. Williams is an upgrade over Pace. Omiyale is a question mark, but (1) if he doesn't look good in camp, we have Shaffer to fall back on and (2) Williams was so bad at RT, below average play would still be an upgrade. Kreutz played injured last year, and should be improved after the surgery. LG is up in the air, but whoever starts, can they actually be as bad as Omiyale was? So while I am not pretending we have a slew of pro bowlers, I do believe our starting 5 this year will be better than last year.

(B) I have screamed for years how poor our OL coaching has been. Tice may not be a saviour, but like with the player changes, it is hard to phathom he could be as inept as our last OL coach.

© System. I just hated our previous system of blocking, and feel this one, particularly in terms of run blocking, is better.

(d) Non-OL players should also contribute to the improved play. Forte was flat out awful last year in terms of blocking, but we added a very good blocking RB in Taylor. We added a TE who is essentially a 6th OL as blocking is his specialty. Further, as we talk about Tice along the OL, he is also working with Olsen's blocking, and as you said, he has loads of experience with TEs. So the addition of a blocking TE (Manu) and potential improved blocking from Olsen give the run and pass blocking a big boost.

Sure, it's possible our OL sucks again, but I think there is ample reason to believe we will be improved this year. That doesn't mean we will be a top 10 OL, but simply improved.

Maybe, maybe not. They still averaged in the bottom half of the league with their 4.1 yards per carry this year, and were pretty pitiful in short yardage situations, when you need to run.

Either way, there wasn't a dramatic automatic improvement in their line after the addition of the most well known OL coach in the league. I'm not saying he is a bad coach, just that a coach can only do so much with the players he has.

Tice was a TE in the league for 14 or 15 years, then became a TE coach for a year for the Vikings, then promoted to OL coach and coached it for 4 or 5 years on a team with alot of great players on offense. Then he gets the head coaching gig, after that the only job he can find is as a TE coach for a buddy of his he used to play with on the Vikings.

He might be a good OL coach I Just find it hard to consider him a guy that will make a dramatic impact that turns the players on this line nto good players. It's not like he was a highly sought after, OL mastermind of a coach, that has been doing it for 20 years.He did it on an extremely talent team, with great players, 10 years ago.

Lord knows this team needs to run. Martz tendency to pass and Cutler's tendency scares me enough. Like a Bronco's fan said the other day. The Bears got the better end of the trade. All the Bronco's got was orton and 3 picks, while the Bears got cutler and 27 picks.

Let's say this about Russ Grimm, he got far more out of Mike Gandy at LT than we did. While I kept thinking every season they'd dump Gandy he stuck around and actually played "good" (I know it's bad english). He's not what anyone wants at LT but he was servicable under Grimm's tutelage. Consider that he was blocking for Warner who often took deep drops or held onto the ball longer than the original drop called for, plus Warner wasn't fleet of foot.