Not to defend J. Russell, but....

nfoligno

Seriously? Codeine syrup?

Okay, one, there was actually an organized undercover investigation? arrested as part of an undercover narcotics investigation

Okay, do the police really have nothing better to do than organization undercover ops for codeine syrup. If the investigation was for more, then was the arrest for the syrup nothing more than trying to save face?

I don't know. I understand it is illegal to have perscriptions not in your name, but really? To me, this is simply not a big deal.

And as for the police talking about how some mix this syrup with sprite and call it "sip sip" or whatever, unless they have it mixed, I don't see how you can assume such.

Codeine syrup is not uncommon. Doctor gave it to me all the time if I had strept throat, or other throat/caugh issues.

Hey, I think Russell is a joke, but to me, this story is also a joke.

This is just one example of many where America has some serious prioritization issues...

Okay, one, there was actually an organized undercover investigation? arrested as part of an undercover narcotics investigation

Okay, do the police really have nothing better to do than organization undercover ops for codeine syrup. If the investigation was for more, then was the arrest for the syrup nothing more than trying to save face?

I don't know. I understand it is illegal to have perscriptions not in your name, but really? To me, this is simply not a big deal.

And as for the police talking about how some mix this syrup with sprite and call it "sip sip" or whatever, unless they have it mixed, I don't see how you can assume such.

Codeine syrup is not uncommon. Doctor gave it to me all the time if I had strept throat, or other throat/caugh issues.

This is just one example of many where America has some serious prioritization issues...

By "prioritization issues" I assume you mean "Jamarcus Russell would rather do drugs than work his fat ass into shape and learn the playbook well enough to make a strong enough impact that the Raiders didn't cut him."

It's not cocaine, but people have died from the drug's abuse.

Here's the wiki on the drug

This may seem minor to some, but starting low is how the cops work towards getting the big criminals who fund massive criminal activities, like Mike Vick.

No. I mean tax dollars are spent unwisely on numerous things. Policing cough syrup is one of them.

I have a feeling we probably differ in views on our "War on Drugs", but I'd be more than happy to debate it in the "Other Forum" where no one can take offense...and where it's non-Bear related.

By "prioritization issues" I assume you mean "Jamarcus Russell would rather do drugs than work his fat ass into shape and learn the playbook well enough to make a strong enough impact that the Raiders didn't cut him."

Here's the wiki on the drug

This may seem minor to some, but starting low is how the cops work towards getting the big criminals who fund massive criminal activities, like Mike Vick.

I think it was Pharma grade. Like the syrup they use to make the cough medicine.

Hey, I think few would argue with this. I am not defending Russell, but if I were to sit down and make a list of all the problems facing our nation, cough syrup would be pretty low on the list.

People can, and have, died for abusive amounts of most everything. Crap, take too much advil, and bad crap happens. While that article you mention gives some "people of interest" who have died from this, the issue is still a pretty dang small one.

So you are comparing cough syrup to dog fighting? I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but it is at the same time the implication.

I know this is totally not bear related, but it is a super slow time right now, so what the heck, right?

I know what the medicine is. I have it in my home, though I would have never thought to mix it to make a drink. Stuff is freaking awesome when you have a really bad cough that prevents you from sleeping. This stuff will hinder the cough, numb the throat, and best yet, knock you out so you can sleep. Really common and easy to get a doc to perscribe.

I think it was Pharma grade. Like the syrup they use to make the cough medicine.

Hey, I think few would argue with this. I am not defending Russell, but if I were to sit down and make a list of all the problems facing our nation, cough syrup would be pretty low on the list.

People can, and have, died for abusive amounts of most everything. Crap, take too much advil, and bad crap happens. While that article you mention gives some "people of interest" who have died from this, the issue is still a pretty dang small one.

So you are comparing cough syrup to dog fighting? I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but it is at the same time the implication.

I know this is totally not bear related, but it is a super slow time right now, so what the heck, right?

Agreed...it's slow. If someone has a problem with this, and would like the thread moved, I apologize beforehand. Admin...move it if someone complains.

1) Abuse of just about everything is bad. Agreed. The difference is, the abuse of what Russell abused is illegal. There is no ambiguity with this.

2) Am I comparing Russell's crime to Vick's crime? No. Am I comparing the concept of crime to the concept of crime? Obviously. He committed a crime. Where is the issue? Perhaps if crime were taken seriously in this country, then people would be afraid to do the little things (i.e. Russell), and cops could concentrate on big things (i.e. Vick). The problem is that various crimes, even big ones, are met with slaps on the wrist from the judicial system. So why change? Why not break the law if the penalty is so ridiculously minimal?

I know what the medicine is. I have it in my home, though I would have never thought to mix it to make a drink. Stuff is freaking awesome when you have a really bad cough that prevents you from sleeping. This stuff will hinder the cough, numb the throat, and best yet, knock you out so you can sleep. Really common and easy to get a doc to perscribe.

Nfo - I'm totally on the same page with you. One time in my 20s, I had bronchitis and they prescribed codeine cough syrup. Having trouble sleeping, I took the recommended dosage and did a couple of shots of Jim Beam. I ended up sitting in front of the TV watching Rocky and Bullwinkle - The Wassamata U vs. Taxidermy Tech episode (see, I made it football related for you) and laughed my ass off - which was great because it was the first time in days that I wasn't completely miserable. So, I could see making a drink out of it if I didn't realize that becoming addicted to an opium based med can turn into real problems with morphine or heroin if one is predisposed to that sort of addiction.

I also don't see it as a big deal - at least no bigger than other stuff and FAR less important or dangerous than crystal meth.

Oh, and, for the record, no one has ever died from an overdose of weed. That's the only thing I can think of though.

Nfo - I'm totally on the same page with you. One time in my 20s, I had bronchitis and they prescribed codeine cough syrup. Having trouble sleeping, I took the recommended dosage and did a couple of shots of Jim Beam. I ended up sitting in front of the TV watching Rocky and Bullwinkle - The Wassamata U vs. Taxidermy Tech episode (see, I made it football related for you) and laughed my ass off - which was great because it was the first time in days that I wasn't completely miserable. So, I could see making a drink out of it if I didn't realize that becoming addicted to an opium based med can turn into real problems with morphine or heroin if one is predisposed to that sort of addiction.

I also don't see it as a big deal - at least no bigger than other stuff and FAR less important or dangerous than crystal meth.

Oh, and, for the record, no one has ever died from an overdose of weed. That's the only thing I can think of though.

LT that is a hilarious story and reminds me of my days in Macomb on Western Ill's campus when one of the European named Flu bugs was running rampant on the campus and I went to the health center and got a prescription for codeine tablets and took those with some hot tea with Jack Daniels in it and slept like a baby and was fully recovered the next day. Unfortunately I didn't have Rocky and Bullwinkle to make me laugh but I was sleeping with a smile on my face.

cracking up at the stories.

In college, when the beer was gone, we would try just about anything in the house, including chugging Nyquil due to the alcohol in it. Sure, sip sip is a bit different, but only a bit IMHO.

Well after college, I had an ankle injury and had pain meds. Obviously you are not supposed to drink while on pain meds, but come on. No drinking? So after some scotch/pain med combo, I was feeling little pain. Unfortunately for me, the combo actually kept me awake rather than knocking me out, thus I too sat in front of the TV. As I recall, there was a Godfather marathon. Luckily, I think I finally fell asleep in the beginning of part 3.

LT that is a hilarious story and reminds me of my days in Macomb on Western Ill's campus when one of the European named Flu bugs was running rampant on the campus and I went to the health center and got a prescription for codeine tablets and took those with some hot tea with Jack Daniels in it and slept like a baby and was fully recovered the next day. Unfortunately I didn't have Rocky and Bullwinkle to make me laugh but I was sleeping with a smile on my face.

Nice thoughts, but at the same time, I think reality is a touch different.

Lets say he was in the car and they found him in possession. Fine. What kills me is the fact that they had an undercover operation to bust him for this. When you are talking about such an endevour, you are talking about spending time and resources few police departments have in abundance. So for me, when I think about the minimal level of this crime, I just have an issue with such an operation.

Agreed...it's slow. If someone has a problem with this, and would like the thread moved, I apologize beforehand. Admin...move it if someone complains.

1) Abuse of just about everything is bad. Agreed. The difference is, the abuse of what Russell abused is illegal. There is no ambiguity with this.

2) Am I comparing Russell's crime to Vick's crime? No. Am I comparing the concept of crime to the concept of crime? Obviously. He committed a crime. Where is the issue? Perhaps if crime were taken seriously in this country, then people would be afraid to do the little things (i.e. Russell), and cops could concentrate on big things (i.e. Vick). The problem is that various crimes, even big ones, are met with slaps on the wrist from the judicial system. So why change? Why not break the law if the penalty is so ridiculously minimal?

Man, I wanna party with you guys! ;)

cracking up at the stories.

In college, when the beer was gone, we would try just about anything in the house, including chugging Nyquil due to the alcohol in it. Sure, sip sip is a bit different, but only a bit IMHO.

Well after college, I had an ankle injury and had pain meds. Obviously you are not supposed to drink while on pain meds, but come on. No drinking? So after some scotch/pain med combo, I was feeling little pain. Unfortunately for me, the combo actually kept me awake rather than knocking me out, thus I too sat in front of the TV. As I recall, there was a Godfather marathon. Luckily, I think I finally fell asleep in the beginning of part 3.

I'd like to say the same as I'm hitting 40 in August, but I still have the mentality of a 18 year old! (At least on Sundays...)

Your about 15-20 years too late. Had plenty of fun in college, but these days, "partying" likely means watching a rented video with the wife.

Nice thoughts, but at the same time, I think reality is a touch different.

Lets say he was in the car and they found him in possession. Fine. What kills me is the fact that they had an undercover operation to bust him for this. When you are talking about such an endevour, you are talking about spending time and resources few police departments have in abundance. So for me, when I think about the minimal level of this crime, I just have an issue with such an operation.

You guys keep coming up with false equivalencies of "illegal" versus "should use police resources elsewhere."

I never said that police had the time or resources to spend on things like this. I agree that there are probably other crimes going on that deserve more attention. But what he did is nonetheless a crime. A crime is a crime is a crime. Don't like it? Contact your local, state, and federal representative to fight against what you think shouldn't be illegal.

Caveat: I have never abused any drugs, prescription or otherwise. I've never smoked a cigarette. I rarely drink, and when I do I go years without actually getting uncontrollably drunk. So I have a harder time empathizing with someone who was mixing an illegal substance with something else in order to make some sort of underground drug popularized by the hip hop community.

Seems to be the new fad...... From Footballguys.com daily newsletter.....

The Associated Press reports 'purple drank' has seen an increase in popularity over the last decade, and has now hit the NFL. Former Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell was arrested for possession of codeine syrup, a key ingredient in purple drank. The concoction: typically codeine and the antihistamine promethazine mixed with Sprite or 7Up and Jolly Ranchers or other hard candy. Former NFL player Marcellus Wiley doesn't believe consumption is widespread within the league, "but obviously I think it's picking up some steam. It doesn't have the negative connotation it should, the same negative connotation there is with crack cocaine or heroin," said Wiley, an ESPN analyst. "People think of this purple drank as kind of a cool thing. Because people think it's cool, it invades that mentality, invades that culture, without alerting people to the dangers of it."

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Russell is not the only NFL player to get in trouble over codeine. Packers DL Johnny Jolly is scheduled to go to trial later this month after getting arrested in 2008 allegedly for illegally possessing at least 200 grams of codeine. Hopefully these two cases help discourage other NFL players from using this illegal concoction.

Not sure what your ultimate point is on this matter....

You ,of course realize, that just because something is illegal, does not mean it's immoral or should be illegal? Treating blacks as equals was once illegal in this country. People fought against it, and did eventually make such laws illegal. But, those who broke that law before that, should be applauded, not jailed. If I were on a jury I would not find them guilty.

I am personally from the standpoint that people should have the freedom do do what they want as long as it does not impede on the freedoms of others. Someone can be an alcoholic and drink themselves to death. As long as that person doesn't get behind a wheel and endanger others, then that person should be able to do what they want. Sure, their action will hurt their families and friends emotionally. But, govt. should not legislate against people acting like a-holes or jerks. You may well disagree with that philosophy...many do.

You guys keep coming up with false equivalencies of "illegal" versus "should use police resources elsewhere."

I never said that police had the time or resources to spend on things like this. I agree that there are probably other crimes going on that deserve more attention. But what he did is nonetheless a crime. A crime is a crime is a crime. Don't like it? Contact your local, state, and federal representative to fight against what you think shouldn't be illegal.

Caveat: I have never abused any drugs, prescription or otherwise. I've never smoked a cigarette. I rarely drink, and when I do I go years without actually getting uncontrollably drunk. So I have a harder time empathizing with someone who was mixing an illegal substance with something else in order to make some sort of underground drug popularized by the hip hop community.

Not sure what your ultimate point is on this matter....

You ,of course realize, that just because something is illegal, does not mean it's immoral or should be illegal? Treating blacks as equals was once illegal in this country. People fought against it, and did eventually make such laws illegal. But, those who broke that law before that, should be applauded, not jailed. If I were on a jury I would not find them guilty.

I am personally from the standpoint that people should have the freedom do do what they want as long as it does not impede on the freedoms of others. Someone can be an alcoholic and drink themselves to death. As long as that person doesn't get behind a wheel and endanger others, then that person should be able to do what they want. Sure, their action will hurt their families and friends emotionally. But, govt. should not legislate against people acting like a-holes or jerks. You may well disagree with that philosophy...many do.

I agree with your initial point, and I mentioned as much since I said that if people didn't like it they could contact their various representatives. The fact remains, it's illegal. Therefore, nobody should complain too much about a law enforcement officer catching someone committing a crime.

This may surprise you, but I agree with the second point. The only problem is, it's like communism: it only works in theory. If some legislation is not in place, others WILL be hurt. Just look at the fight smokers are going through right now, and the way they completely disregard the feelings/desires/well interests of others. To be quite honest, this is something that is never-ending between people who do not, and will not agree. But my stance is that a crime is a crime, and until otherwise noted, I don't have a problem with this arrest. Russell is a complete effing idiot; he pissed away millions, and I have no sympathy whatsoever for a guy who was given EVERYTHING because he won the genetic lottery and couldn't manage to get his head out of his ass long enough to do the right thing...which he continues to avoid like it's the plague.

I agree with your initial point, and I mentioned as much since I said that if people didn't like it they could contact their various representatives. The fact remains, it's illegal. Therefore, nobody should complain too much about a law enforcement officer catching someone committing a crime.

This may surprise you, but I agree with the second point. The only problem is, it's like communism: it only works in theory. If some legislation is not in place, others WILL be hurt. Just look at the fight smokers are going through right now, and the way they completely disregard the feelings/desires/well interests of others. To be quite honest, this is something that is never-ending between people who do not, and will not agree. But my stance is that a crime is a crime, and until otherwise noted, I don't have a problem with this arrest. Russell is a complete effing idiot; he pissed away millions, and I have no sympathy whatsoever for a guy who was given EVERYTHING because he won the genetic lottery and couldn't manage to get his head out of his ass long enough to do the right thing...which he continues to avoid like it's the plague.

Exactly, a crime is a crime, no matter if you agree or not. If you are mentally able to understand the breaking of a law, then you have to do the time when you break it.

I've not came to a complete stop at a stop sign, had a license plate light out, parked past my meter, sped, and so on and so on. Everyone does, or has, and when you get caught, or when I did, no one shed a tear other than my wallet. I paid my fine and thought, dang you got me, and moved on. If he is doing something more serious, the same thing goes.

BTW, if it was up to me, every drug would be legal, they would be regulated by monthly limits via a personal card and pharmacy, and who ever dies off for being stupid does. It'd be less of my tax dollars spent on prisons, less thieves and violence and give stupid people a chance to kill themselves off. Cops and employers would need more leeway with under the influence laws. I'd be sitting back with my personal drug of choice, beer, which I'm responsible with it and don't want any drug, and laugh at the others that OD/ suicide on drug a, b or c. I have no sympathy for either. Ain't this too political for Bears talk btw?

(...advance ps - thanks for making this a fun and intelligent discussion!)

I completely agree that we shouldn't be surprised that law enforcement is going after this. However, what concerns me, besides the overall element of letting people do what they want in the privacy of their own homes, is that this could very well be an inroad to racist profiling by law enforcement. Many of our drug laws were set up with that premise in mind. Cannibis' name was changed to marijuana in order to reflect negatively on people of Latin decent. Many have argued that the tough laws on crack were set in place to incarcerate more minorites in urban cities. I'm not saying that this is indeed the case with this new cough medicine trend. But, I am weary.

I do agree that making such activity, at minimum, de-criminalized, is nice in theory and will have serious issues to see it in place. However, it still should be attempted. Will we see a rise in usage? Probably. But, I would imagine, like in the Netherlands, you get a spike and then a deflation over time. People with drug problems aren't criminals, they are (for lack of a better term) weak. They need help, not incarcertaion. This is why we live in incarceration nation. Someone gets nabbed for drug use, goes to jail, gets hardened, goes out and commits serious crimes or similar, then returns to jail. It's a vicious cycle. The smoking issue is an interesting one. Here in California, it was first tackled. I'm a bit torn. I'm fully opposed to smoking in public places, however, I'm torn in private. At home, it should obviously be allowed. But if I own a bar, and I want my patrons to be able to smoke, shouldn't that be my right? If someone doesn't want to work there or consume there, they have options to go elsewhere. I will say, as a non-smoker, besides the occassion victory cigar, I love dining with no smoke! But, there's something oddly missing when I go to a bar. I'm drinking, so right off the bat, I'm not in there for my health! Also, when I see a blues show (yes, the rare one in LA), something seems deathly wrong with not being in a smoke filled room! I'm just old and dumb on that one!

I agree about Russell. The guy is an idiot. I remember the farily recent skit from SNL Weekend Update where the reporters lambasted Michael Vick about his pot charge in the Miami airport (I think the segment was called "Really?"). How do these mega-millionaires not have a better cover? Here in LA, for years, it was known that rappers, Cypress Hill, would hire "roadies" basically to hold and transport all their weed, so in case they ever got nabbed, it'd only be for a tiny amount that they were just smoking. With the medical law in place, now they are free to be fried. In some way shape or form, how do some of these athletes not get a similar "roadie" to hold their crap or get a limo to drive them when they're drunk? It is ridiculous. You are right about if it is illegal it is illegal. Anyone caught doing it should expect reprecussions.

Probably...which is why earlier in the thread I made a recommendation to put this thread in a different forum. But, in all honesty, all the dialog on this has been intelligent and interesting. No one's name calling (other than Russell being an idiot!), and everyone's been respecting opposing views.

If only the world could get along so well! ;

So, maybe we can all agree that Bears fans are the smarteest fan base around regardless of the topic at hand! Thus, making it fitting on the Bears board!

Ain't this too political for Bears talk btw?