Noots' Notes: Preseason edition (WR)

Noots

Great job Noots. My favorite part:

"If you were going to ask me who fits that mold best for the Bears, I’d say your starting receivers would be Earl Bennett and Devin Aromashodu. Earl Bennett was the Bears’ most consistent wide receiver last year. He doesn’t have great speed. He just runs excellent routes and catches just about everything. Further, he has a great knack for making the first guy miss after he makes a catch. Also in his favor is the relationship with Cutler from their days in college. Aromashodu was the Bears’ best receiver during the final month of the season."

Damn good points. I'm wondering if Earl Bennett has not been written off but he's just recovering. To here the media talk, he's the #6 WR.

I keep wondering how it will work when Cutler is asked to throw it to a spot and he hopes Hester will remember to go there.

Honestly, this is maybe the top aspect of our new offense that worries me. Cutler, due to both his arm and the schemes he plays, simply has not had to as often throw to a point, but rather to a player. In Martz' system, he will be throwing to empty air in expectation a player will fill that space. That is a big ? for me. Getting off the LOS clean, which affects timing, route running and knowing what route to run is not what our WRs have always done best. So many times I have seen our QBs (both Cutler and Orton) throw pics when the WR broke the wrong direction. It will only take a couple of these plays for Cutler to begin to loose confidence in the WRs/system, and when that happens, he will start holding the ball longer.

As for Bennett, he may be among the more consistent, but he is also likely the least athletic, which is why he is getting the step child treatment. Personally, I too think he falls on the depth chart.

Great job Noots. My favorite part:

"If you were going to ask me who fits that mold best for the Bears, I’d say your starting receivers would be Earl Bennett and Devin Aromashodu. Earl Bennett was the Bears’ most consistent wide receiver last year. He doesn’t have great speed. He just runs excellent routes and catches just about everything. Further, he has a great knack for making the first guy miss after he makes a catch. Also in his favor is the relationship with Cutler from their days in college. Aromashodu was the Bears’ best receiver during the final month of the season."

Damn good points. I'm wondering if Earl Bennett has not been written off but he's just recovering. To here the media talk, he's the #6 WR.

I keep wondering how it will work when Cutler is asked to throw it to a spot and he hopes Hester will remember to go there.