No Love from the "Experts"

adam

I disagree the slippery slope argument here is that much of a stretch. And yes, I realize how much the slipperly slope argument can be stretched. I remember back in school when I was on the debate team, every argument (and I do mean every) would somehow lead to nuclear war. It was ridiculous, but that is how the arguments went back then. Jaywalking would lead to nuclear destruction :)

To me though, the logic for not reaching the SB is simply a closer peg to not making the playoffs at all. If the argument is, as I read it (less with you) that it is pretty much a SB or bust rationale, then what is the point of making the playoffs at all if you are going to get bounced early?

Look, I get your argument about the SB loser jinx. For me though, I simply feel you strive to get as far and deep as you possibly can. If you look at the history of the NFL, there are only so many teams that have won the SB, and numerous who have never even reached it that far. Sure, it hurts to lose it, but to say you were not even good enough to get there is pretty bad as well.

At the end of the day, we simply disagree, and I think we can leave it at that. If this were the offseason, we could have fun debating the issue more, but right now, I think we have better things to discuss, like the greatness of Lovie Smith :)

Let me ask an easy question. Would you rather bo New Orleans at 1-0 in the Super Bowl or Buffalo 0-4 in the Super Bowl? If you answered N.O. than you more than likely would rather loose the nfc Champ. game (like me) than lose the super Bowl. Now I do want to make the playoffs every year,but I never want to loose the Super Bowl. I AM JUST SAYING I WOULD RATHER LOOSE THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP RATHER THAN GO TO THE S.B. AND LOOSE.................................

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I do not agree that your question leads to your answer.

Yes, I would choose NO because they won a SB rather than Buffalo, because they did not. But just because a team loses in the NFC Championship, that does not mean they will win the SB, nor does a SB loss mean a team will not win one thereafter.

You use Buffalo as an example. How about Phily? 3 years in a row they went to the NFC championship, and they lost every time. Then they won, and lost the SB.

Those championship losses sure didn't seem to help Phily.

I guess that is the thing here. Is there some sort of correlation you know of between losing the championship game and then winning the SB? Sure, there might be a couple examples, but enough to make it a rule? The only team I saw in the last ten years that lost the NFC championship game and went on to win the SB was NO, who lost the championship 3 years ago, and then won this SB this year. In the AFC, you have the Steelers and Colts, but to me, that is more about top tier franchises that were simply at that level for many years. Heck, the Steelers lost the SB in '96 and won in 2006. Is there a correlation.

I guess that is the thing for me. I don't buy the correlation. We are in the NFC. How many teams in the NFC that lost the Championship game went on to win the SB? NO did three years later. So what. Phily (3), Minny (2), GB, Atlanta, Carolina all lost in the championship game, and none have a lombardi since then to show for it.

So if there is not a correlation between losing the NFC championship and then winning the SB, I question the rationale for thinking it better to lose at that level rather than to simply do as good as your team possibly can, even if that means coming up short in the SB.

Would you rather be the Lions, who have NEVER been to the SB? I guess you can say they have never lost a SB, but I have a feeling if you pulled aside any Lion fan right now and asked, "Hey, even if you know you would lose, would you be happy if your team made it to the SB this year?" I am thinking 99 out of 100 would say hell yea they would take the SB appearance.

Let me ask an easy question. Would you rather bo New Orleans at 1-0 in the Super Bowl or Buffalo 0-4 in the Super Bowl? If you answered N.O. than you more than likely would rather loose the nfc Champ. game (like me) than lose the super Bowl. Now I do want to make the playoffs every year,but I never want to loose the Super Bowl. I AM JUST SAYING I WOULD RATHER LOOSE THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP RATHER THAN GO TO THE S.B. AND LOOSE.................................

I think it's a weird premise because it can only be viewed in hindsight. So to me, preferences are irrelevant because you can't change the past anyway.

In foresight, I want us to win as many games in the playoffs as possible.

Hoping to lose is a losers mentality so I won't be doing any of that ever.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner vim on a cruise to Alaska and get limited Internet. :P

I hear ya! On to the current season!

I disagree the slippery slope argument here is that much of a stretch. And yes, I realize how much the slipperly slope argument can be stretched. I remember back in school when I was on the debate team, every argument (and I do mean every) would somehow lead to nuclear war. It was ridiculous, but that is how the arguments went back then. Jaywalking would lead to nuclear destruction :)

To me though, the logic for not reaching the SB is simply a closer peg to not making the playoffs at all. If the argument is, as I read it (less with you) that it is pretty much a SB or bust rationale, then what is the point of making the playoffs at all if you are going to get bounced early?

Look, I get your argument about the SB loser jinx. For me though, I simply feel you strive to get as far and deep as you possibly can. If you look at the history of the NFL, there are only so many teams that have won the SB, and numerous who have never even reached it that far. Sure, it hurts to lose it, but to say you were not even good enough to get there is pretty bad as well.

At the end of the day, we simply disagree, and I think we can leave it at that. If this were the offseason, we could have fun debating the issue more, but right now, I think we have better things to discuss, like the greatness of Lovie Smith :)