FF Keeper League Voting

nfoligno

Okay, there has been a lot of talk about how we will setup our league this year with regard to various things. I thought we could start a new/clean thread, and try to get some votes in. I did a bit searching, and found the old thread which had a lot of talking, and even some voting, and I think many of us forgot much of it. Take a scroll down memory lane for some fun,

http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?...art=#entry75522

The one thing it appears we voted on and settled was the number of keepers, and ONE was the winner with 6 votes. Damn. I really began to like the idea of two keepers for selfish reasons, but I stand by my vote as the draft is my favorite part of FF, and keeping too many simply dilutes the draft too much.

So, unless someone demands a new vote, and based on the last vote, we keep one player. After this, there was a lot of talk, but no formal vote, thus I think we really need to get this established as soon as possible. I'll list the issues. Please provide your vote. If you feel there are other issues, obviously share them. I am not saying this is the end all list, but simply think we need to start get some resolution.

One. What does an owner give up for his keeper. From reading through the comments, I think the majority opinion seemed to be giving up a round higher than when drafted. Drunk, Bowling, Papa and myself I am pretty sure voted that way. But there was never an official vote, and thus I think we need to get one on record. To try and keep it simple, I think the two most common choices were one round higher or the round taken.

Two. If you lose the same round as your keeper was drafted, are 1st rounder allowed? I believe if we give up a round earlier, by rule, 1st rounders are out, but if we vote to lose the same round as drafted, that would leave open the option of keeper 1st round players. I am very much against this, but again, while I think opinions were provided, no vote was made. This vote is moot if the prior vote is for round earlier than drafted.

Three. How long do we keep our keepers? I think the general opinion was for either one or two years, but no more. Unless someone has a problem with this, I say we keep the vote to one or two years (this does not count the original year). I vote one year.

Four. Draft Order. This appeared to be a topic of discussion last year, but was never resolved. I think I noted three different options. (a) Draft order is based on previous year standings, with worst drafting first, etc. (B) Draft order is simply a reverse of the previous year. Whoever drafted last last year drafts first this year. © Simply do a random order as was done last year.

For the record, I vote for the random draft order. I just don't understand the reason for giving a reward for teams that finished low, or punishing teams who did well. This is not the NFL where the league trys to help bad teams by adding talent to their teams. We start with new teams each year, thus the rationale is out the window. Further, I don't want to give anyone any reason to tank near the end of the year when they are out of it in order to secure a top pick the following year.

Five. Payout. I think I remember seeing 60/30/10, but as I was not in the money, I just don't really recall.

Six. Additional money contest. Just something we always had in my other league that I always liked. An additional payout (usually about equal to the entry fee or a tad above) for the team with the one week highest score. One of the things I like about this is it tends to keep teams in it at the end. You may be in last place, but one good week and you could win your money back.

Does that cover it? Probably not, but those are the issues I can think of off the top of my head. Please vote on the above, and add any further issues you may have.

1. I'll delegate my vote to the folks that played last year, but I see no problem w/ the round prior to the pick.

2. Same as 1, and I have no problem losing the round drafted.

3. I'll delegate again, but I like 1 year

4. Again, I'll delegate, but I do like reverse order of the prior years' standings. Odds are the winner probalby had a stud he's keeping, so a small disadvantage isn't bad. And I think as someone mentioned, the winner was the 8th or 9th draft slot, so picking first is no guarantee.

5. I'll completely delegate this one...your prososal sounds good to me.

6. I'll delegate again, but I do like odd opportunities to collect a little payout...

Okay, there has been a lot of talk about how we will setup our league this year with regard to various things. I thought we could start a new/clean thread, and try to get some votes in. I did a bit searching, and found the old thread which had a lot of talking, and even some voting, and I think many of us forgot much of it. Take a scroll down memory lane for some fun,

http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?...art=#entry75522

The one thing it appears we voted on and settled was the number of keepers, and ONE was the winner with 6 votes. Damn. I really began to like the idea of two keepers for selfish reasons, but I stand by my vote as the draft is my favorite part of FF, and keeping too many simply dilutes the draft too much.

So, unless someone demands a new vote, and based on the last vote, we keep one player. After this, there was a lot of talk, but no formal vote, thus I think we really need to get this established as soon as possible. I'll list the issues. Please provide your vote. If you feel there are other issues, obviously share them. I am not saying this is the end all list, but simply think we need to start get some resolution.

One. What does an owner give up for his keeper. From reading through the comments, I think the majority opinion seemed to be giving up a round higher than when drafted. Drunk, Bowling, Papa and myself I am pretty sure voted that way. But there was never an official vote, and thus I think we need to get one on record. To try and keep it simple, I think the two most common choices were one round higher or the round taken.

Two. If you lose the same round as your keeper was drafted, are 1st rounder allowed? I believe if we give up a round earlier, by rule, 1st rounders are out, but if we vote to lose the same round as drafted, that would leave open the option of keeper 1st round players. I am very much against this, but again, while I think opinions were provided, no vote was made. This vote is moot if the prior vote is for round earlier than drafted.

Three. How long do we keep our keepers? I think the general opinion was for either one or two years, but no more. Unless someone has a problem with this, I say we keep the vote to one or two years (this does not count the original year). I vote one year.

Four. Draft Order. This appeared to be a topic of discussion last year, but was never resolved. I think I noted three different options. (a) Draft order is based on previous year standings, with worst drafting first, etc. (B) Draft order is simply a reverse of the previous year. Whoever drafted last last year drafts first this year. © Simply do a random order as was done last year.

For the record, I vote for the random draft order. I just don't understand the reason for giving a reward for teams that finished low, or punishing teams who did well. This is not the NFL where the league trys to help bad teams by adding talent to their teams. We start with new teams each year, thus the rationale is out the window. Further, I don't want to give anyone any reason to tank near the end of the year when they are out of it in order to secure a top pick the following year.

Five. Payout. I think I remember seeing 60/30/10, but as I was not in the money, I just don't really recall.

Six. Additional money contest. Just something we always had in my other league that I always liked. An additional payout (usually about equal to the entry fee or a tad above) for the team with the one week highest score. One of the things I like about this is it tends to keep teams in it at the end. You may be in last place, but one good week and you could win your money back.

Does that cover it? Probably not, but those are the issues I can think of off the top of my head. Please vote on the above, and add any further issues you may have.

Mad. If you are in, and paying money to be in, I see no reason to delegate your vote. These votes are for the future, which you will be part of, and not the past.

So if I read your votes...

- You vote to lose the round prior to the original drafted round.

- You vote to keep a player for one year, not counting original drafted year.

- You vote to base draft order on prior years standings.

- You vote 60/30/10 split for payouts.

- You vote to add in a payout for one week high score winner, with payout set at entry fee.

Am I correct in your votes?

1. I'll delegate my vote to the folks that played last year, but I see no problem w/ the round prior to the pick.

2. Same as 1, and I have no problem losing the round drafted.

3. I'll delegate again, but I like 1 year

4. Again, I'll delegate, but I do like reverse order of the prior years' standings. Odds are the winner probalby had a stud he's keeping, so a small disadvantage isn't bad. And I think as someone mentioned, the winner was the 8th or 9th draft slot, so picking first is no guarantee.

5. I'll completely delegate this one...your prososal sounds good to me.

6. I'll delegate again, but I do like odd opportunities to collect a little payout...

Mad would you vote for 1 or 2 keepers?

keep any 1 player [ 2 ] [28.57%]

keep any 2 players [ 3 ] [42.86%]

see option 3 below [ 1 ] [14.29%]

see option 4 below [ 0 ] [0.00%]

other [ 1 ]

Wheres the 6 votes for 1??

The poll was the start of the thread, but I believe we went away from the poll itself pretty quickly as several options all had one keeper, but with different rules for each, which I pointed out. You have a number of people voting for one keeper, but with different rules, and the end result had the 2 keeper rule having a majority because of the split one keeper vote. Later in the discussion, we simplified it and voted based solely on one or two keepers. Toward the end of the thread, you posted,

2 keepers flea, pix, bowlingtwig (3)

1 keeper nfo, papabear,drunkbomber, nopper, stinger (5)

2 votes togo. What happens if it's a tie??

After that, Bradjock voted for one keeper, and then you posted,

well that makes 6 for 1 keeper, so majority rules & it's 1 keeper

Now we can vote on what way the keeper works

loose the pick where you draft them or 1 pick up & if we are stopping keepers in the 1st?

other [ 1 ]

Sounds good!

Although I'm going to shift the first one and would rather see you lose the same round you drafted a guy in so people could keep their 1st round picks..especially given you only get them for a max of one more year as a keeper.

Does that make senese?

Mad. If you are in, and paying money to be in, I see no reason to delegate your vote. These votes are for the future, which you will be part of, and not the past.

So if I read your votes...

- You vote to lose the round prior to the original drafted round.

- You vote to keep a player for one year, not counting original drafted year.

- You vote to base draft order on prior years standings.

- You vote 60/30/10 split for payouts.

- You vote to add in a payout for one week high score winner, with payout set at entry fee.

Am I correct in your votes?

I peresonally would vote for 2, but if it's been decided on 1, I'm good with that.

other [ 1 ]

This seems a lot different than what I understood "keeper leagues" to be. The major difference being you kept the majority of the team save two or three players. Then you negotiate where your upcoming picks go based on the "value" of that player amd especially if there is a trade valuation. Anyhow, it would seem the majority like this proposal and I too am willing to try out this "keeper" idea.

As far as players kept, I say two.

I think one round higher or round taken for that "kept" player sounds fair which, as you mentioned, cancels out the next idea of whether the first round pick is given up. I say yes.

Not so sure I agree with how long you should keep your players. Not really a big fan of putting a number on it as that kind of goes away from the idea of "keeper" league. But again, if majority rules.

Draft order sounds perfect. Makes sense.

And the last points (5 and 6) sound pretty reasonable to me.

Count me in as interested.

Alaskan,

Were you in the league last year?

This seems a lot different than what I understood "keeper leagues" to be. The major difference being you kept the majority of the team save two or three players. Then you negotiate where your upcoming picks go based on the "value" of that player amd especially if there is a trade valuation. Anyhow, it would seem the majority like this proposal and I too am willing to try out this "keeper" idea.

As far as players kept, I say two.

I think one round higher or round taken for that "kept" player sounds fair which, as you mentioned, cancels out the next idea of whether the first round pick is given up. I say yes.

Not so sure I agree with how long you should keep your players. Not really a big fan of putting a number on it as that kind of goes away from the idea of "keeper" league. But again, if majority rules.

Draft order sounds perfect. Makes sense.

And the last points (5 and 6) sound pretty reasonable to me.

Count me in as interested.

Are we voting or are we discussing what we've already voted on? I'm confused.

I vote for one keeper since I don't have any keepers worth a damn . . . although Chester Taylor might become the 1999 Marshall Faulk :cheers

Just give me the rules and I'll be ready to :bringit

I hesitate to say, as I don't want to sound like the judge and jury, but to me, we have already voted on 1 keeper, and are now voting on other aspects of the keeper rules.

I understand the "just give me the rule" thought process, but please share your votes on the various issues listed. The biggest key issues (I think) are how we do the draft order and what an owner gives up if he keeps a player.

Are we voting or are we discussing what we've already voted on? I'm confused.

I vote for one keeper since I don't have any keepers worth a damn . . . although Chester Taylor might become the 1999 Marshall Faulk :cheers

Just give me the rules and I'll be ready to :bringit

drunk, the problem with the vote was it split up the 1 keeper votes with various stipulation. Once the question was simplified in discussion between 1 or 2 keepers, 1 keeper got 6 votes.

Look, if the league wants 2 keepers, so be it. I have 3 or 4 players I like for keeper, but this was discussed and voted on already and 1 keeper was the end result.

The poll results are for 2 keepers.

LOL, I know I am not playing this year and maybe I should keep my mouth shut but this is looking more and more like last year where we drafted and played the season without really knowing what the keeper rules would be and ended the playoffs not even knowing how the prize money was going to be divided up.

LOL, I know I am not playing this year and maybe I should keep my mouth shut but this is looking more and more like last year where we drafted and played the season without really knowing what the keeper rules would be and ended the playoffs not even knowing how the prize money was going to be divided up.

I think J.A might be the commish

Damn good point as always Pix. As aforementioned, I'm like Robbie Gould, I'll get it done in the wind, the rain, or in a stadium . . . just tell me what the conditions are . . . then unlike Robbie I'll miss :headbang

Maybe we should revote with a big damn poll?

Damn good point as always Pix. As aforementioned, I'm like Robbie Gould, I'll get it done in the wind, the rain, or in a stadium . . . just tell me what the conditions are . . . then unlike Robbie I'll miss :headbang

I perfer one keeper, so it keeps the draft fresh and more interesting.

I think you should be able to keep the keeper for the year you picked him and the next year. Otherwise, why have a keeper league, might as well just draft.

I perfer losing the round you picked the keeper in to be skipped. If we do the round before, it eliminates the first round and most of the teams have there best player picked in that round if they are any good.

What ever we do with the money, just make sure it gets posted now instead of leaving it open.

I bet your diamond in the rough players is some kid from a small school with a history of injuries, some character issues, and who doesn't have a true position, but is one hell of an athlete.

no...if I was JA, I would of traded that pick...wait, im trading it now....dang, im turing into JA.....I do have some diamond in rough picks in store

Brad, just vote.

Pix doesn't have to because he choose not to be in the league this year. Mad is taking his team.

The sooner everyone puts in their vote, the sooner we can move past this BS.

While I'll go with the majority I don't like 1 keeper ya may as well just run a normal league

One keeper is more the norm for this type of thing. I have 4 I would like to keep, so I am favor of having 4 keepers and then that would make us a very unique league. the problem is the draft would suck. So to clear everything up, lets just let the league members have there say and be done with it. I am voting for 4 keepers, but my next vote is for ONE,