Knox favoured target

flea

BOURBONNAIS — One week into training camp it would appear Jay Cutler has a new favorite target, or Mike Martz does anyway.

But the new offensive coordinator said it's just by chance that receiver Johnny Knox has been targeted considerably more times than the other options in the offense after nine practices. According to the Tribune's chart of 11-on-11 and seven-on-seven drills to this point, Knox has been targeted 55 times, 16 more than Devin Hester and Greg Olsen.

"We're installing right now and depending on the coverages the ball will go different places," Martz said. "Everything we script is just plays going in so it depends on what the defense is doing. Because of our defense, some of what we're doing, the weak side is going to get kind of emphasized."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Register with Chicago Tribune and receive free newsletters and alerts >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knox is operating on the weak side and one of the holes in the Cover-2 is the space between the weak-side linebacker and cornerback, a hole for a quick slant that Knox runs well.

"We're just out there taking what the defense gives us," Knox said. "It all depends on Jay's progression and read."

Devin Aromoashodu, who became a favorite target for Cutler late last season, is fourth with 32 passes his way and he has the highest percentage of catches on balls intended for him at 78.1.

Running backs Matt Forte and Chester Taylor are next and the work has been pretty evenly distributed between them.

Now with retired former star Isaac Bruce helping in camp, the hope is he can share some nuances of the offense with the young group. Bruce had nine 1,000-yard seasons in his career and was a main cog in the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf. The Bears don't have a 1,000-yard receiver on their roster. He said his goal is to help make the players more confident.

"I don't see much missing (here)," Bruce said. "I see guys who can make plays. You have a quarterback who can wing it. I always like that. You have guys on the outside who can make plays, who are fast and who can run routes without breaking down. When you have guys like that in this offense, it's always good."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5363372.story

As it mentions in the article, I am not sure it is so much a matter of Knox being Cutler's favorite target so much as Knox playing the position that most often hits the hole(s) of our defense.

Doesn't this say something about our defense too? Martz easily knows the holes in our D, and calls plays to hit those holes. You would think our DC would counter this, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll say this. While there are plenty of concerns about our offense, OL being the tops, the WRs are really having a solid showing. Knox is looking very good, as is Hester. DA has, per the article, the best pass/catch ratio of the group. Olsen is being used downfield, and looking good in the process. Man, if our OL can get it together, this could be one hell of an offense.

BOURBONNAIS — One week into training camp it would appear Jay Cutler has a new favorite target, or Mike Martz does anyway.

But the new offensive coordinator said it's just by chance that receiver Johnny Knox has been targeted considerably more times than the other options in the offense after nine practices. According to the Tribune's chart of 11-on-11 and seven-on-seven drills to this point, Knox has been targeted 55 times, 16 more than Devin Hester and Greg Olsen.

"We're installing right now and depending on the coverages the ball will go different places," Martz said. "Everything we script is just plays going in so it depends on what the defense is doing. Because of our defense, some of what we're doing, the weak side is going to get kind of emphasized."

Register with Chicago Tribune and receive free newsletters and alerts >>

Knox is operating on the weak side and one of the holes in the Cover-2 is the space between the weak-side linebacker and cornerback, a hole for a quick slant that Knox runs well.

"We're just out there taking what the defense gives us," Knox said. "It all depends on Jay's progression and read."

Devin Aromoashodu, who became a favorite target for Cutler late last season, is fourth with 32 passes his way and he has the highest percentage of catches on balls intended for him at 78.1.

Running backs Matt Forte and Chester Taylor are next and the work has been pretty evenly distributed between them.

Now with retired former star Isaac Bruce helping in camp, the hope is he can share some nuances of the offense with the young group. Bruce had nine 1,000-yard seasons in his career and was a main cog in the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf. The Bears don't have a 1,000-yard receiver on their roster. He said his goal is to help make the players more confident.

"I don't see much missing (here)," Bruce said. "I see guys who can make plays. You have a quarterback who can wing it. I always like that. You have guys on the outside who can make plays, who are fast and who can run routes without breaking down. When you have guys like that in this offense, it's always good."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5363372.story