Garza To LG and Louis at RG?

lemonej

The tribune is reporting that the Bears have moved starting RG Robeto Garza to LG and for the last few practices have had Lance Louis running at RG.

IMO Louis at TC when I was there looked very athletic even doing sommersaults as he hit the blocking dummies but I think this is based on his agressiveness because as I described in my TC post there was a skirmish between an OL and DL and he was the OL in the middle of it. All of this sounds like Bear speak but, if I can remember some of the guys Tice coached in Minny a lot of them started out unheralded and Louis fits the bill. If he could some how crack the starting line up it would be pure luck for JA as he was originally drafted as a TE then later projected as a OL.

The tribune is reporting that the Bears have moved starting RG Robeto Garza to LG and for the last few practices have had Lance Louis running at RG.

IMO Louis at TC when I was there looked very athletic even doing sommersaults as he hit the blocking dummies but I think this is based on his agressiveness because as I described in my TC post there was a skirmish between an OL and DL and he was the OL in the middle of it. All of this sounds like Bear speak but, if I can remember some of the guys Tice coached in Minny a lot of them started out unheralded and Louis fits the bill. If he could some how crack the starting line up it would be pure luck for JA as he was originally drafted as a TE then later projected as a OL.

Well the depth chart is out and has Garza and Left and Louis at R. Iam not sure what to think about this. I am so hoping that I will be in town for the game on Saturday.

To me, this is awesome news. If Loius is in fact our new RG, that means he beat out Garza for the job. While I don't think Garza is great, the staff liked him and he was one of the more entrenched veterans. Louis was not just handed the job, but earned it.

And I like Garza moving to LG. We will see if the left suits him better, but if not, we have others to play there. One thing I like is we now have a veteran to play alongside Williams, which I think could prove very beneficial.

I have complained for years about the poor OL coaching, and while the season has yet to even start, I am seeing/hearing so much "evidence" of just how bad our last OL coach was. Listen to the players, and they constantly talk about the 1,000 little things Tice goes over with them, like its new. Stuff as simple as dropping your arms or shoulders Tice picks up on and works with the players. Another thing is the development of young OL. In the past, Angelo has taken plenty of OL late in the draft, but it seemed like a wasted pick. Other teams can develop later round OL, but not us. Suddenly we have a new OL coach, and we now have young players showing promise and developing.

Yea, there is a long way to go, but it sure seems like a fresh start to me.

Lemon,

While you can take it with a grain of salt, the team is saying the saw Louis as an OL all along, but reported him initially in order to be able to tell undrafted rookie FAs they didn't draft any OL, thus thinking they would be able to offer the rookie FAs a better opportunity. Maybe its BS, but the offseason is all about games, so I wouldn't be surprised. Other than how they reported Louis initially, which created a lot of talk among fans, the team pretty much has always said he was OL.

To me, this is awesome news. If Loius is in fact our new RG, that means he beat out Garza for the job.

Actually I read in an interview with Tice fairly recently (can't seem to find the article, but i also didn't look super hard) that Garza was better suited for LG in this scheme because he was smaller and quicker. Tice said the LG had a lot of pulling assignments while the RG was generally a bigger more physical type of player. At least thats what I recalled reading anyway. hopefully it wasn't just a dream I had. If thats the case though I'll be sure to give my brain credit for the thoughts.

To me, this is awesome news. If Loius is in fact our new RG, that means he beat out Garza for the job. While I don't think Garza is great, the staff liked him and he was one of the more entrenched veterans. Louis was not just handed the job, but earned it.

And I like Garza moving to LG. We will see if the left suits him better, but if not, we have others to play there. One thing I like is we now have a veteran to play alongside Williams, which I think could prove very beneficial.

I have complained for years about the poor OL coaching, and while the season has yet to even start, I am seeing/hearing so much "evidence" of just how bad our last OL coach was. Listen to the players, and they constantly talk about the 1,000 little things Tice goes over with them, like its new. Stuff as simple as dropping your arms or shoulders Tice picks up on and works with the players. Another thing is the development of young OL. In the past, Angelo has taken plenty of OL late in the draft, but it seemed like a wasted pick. Other teams can develop later round OL, but not us. Suddenly we have a new OL coach, and we now have young players showing promise and developing.

Lemon,

While you can take it with a grain of salt, the team is saying the saw Louis as an OL all along, but reported him initially in order to be able to tell undrafted rookie FAs they didn't draft any OL, thus thinking they would be able to offer the rookie FAs a better opportunity. Maybe its BS, but the offseason is all about games, so I wouldn't be surprised. Other than how they reported Louis initially, which created a lot of talk among fans, the team pretty much has always said he was OL.

Nfo my comments were based on the Trib article that reported the shift of Garza to LG and Louis to RG its on their web site and I have said time and time again that I'm not savy enough to post the links but if you read the article it states that the Bears drafted him as a TE to make it seem to undrafted FAs that they would have a better chance to join the squad but a week later rescinded that assessment and called him an OL and BTW he played TE in college at San Diego State early on in his collegiate career. This is why the Bears thought they were able to sell their draft scenario along with Martz's penchant for liking big blocking TEs, no one would question if the Bears were trying to shift his position or not since that has been a normal thing this franchise has done for decades.

I just read OMiyale is back at RT...that worries me tremendously.

Lemon,

Huh? Omiyale has been at RT since the start of OTAs. In fact, the most recent reports I have read say he has been doing better. He hasn't been hit with the false start penalties of late, and his blocking seems to be improving as well.

I just read OMiyale is back at RT...that worries me tremendously.

Sorry, didn't have my cofee yet this morning Thanks for pointing that out! Although, generally speaking, Omiyale still worries me.

Huh? Omiyale has been at RT since the start of OTAs. In fact, the most recent reports I have read say he has been doing better. He hasn't been hit with the false start penalties of late, and his blocking seems to be improving as well.

I'm not sure there is a person who isn't worried about Omiyale, staff included.

Early reports out of camp talked a lot of struggles. He was getting flagged for false starts and simply getting beaten. In the last week though, I have heard numerous reports that give a bit of hope. One thing to remember is, while we have all talked about how RT is his natural position, he has not played RT before. He was a LT in college, and that is also where he played in Carolina when he filled in for an injured Gross. But he is a more natural OT than OG. He may need some time to adjust, but it is not nearly the adjustment of moving from OT to OG.

Anyway, he has not had a false start called against him in over a week. Per the staff, who had been pretty critical, he has been looking much better in terms of both pass and run blocking. His run blocking especially has looked improved.

We have quite a few ?s on the OL, and Omiyale leads the way, but it does appear there has been improvement and positive signs. Contrast this with last year when, despite nothing but poor reports, he was handed the starting OG position.

Sorry, didn't have my cofee yet this morning Thanks for pointing that out! Although, generally speaking, Omiyale still worries me.

I think that Louis emerging as a starter is reason for optimism, only surpassed by the optimism I now have after seeing Tice in action with the line. I was thrilled by what I saw of Tice working with the OL. He holds court with them, he teaches them like they're all rookies. And the veterans, guys like Garza and Kreutz, are paying attention and buying into it. He is preparing them. We don't have a ton of talent on this OL. Tice is tapping whatever is there, and he's molding into a unit that will support Mike Martz's offensive system.

I feel better about them today than I did a week ago.