RG James Marten

RT J'Marcus Webb

Wide receivers

No. 2 Rashied Davis and Devin Aromashodu

No. 3 Earl Bennett and Juaquin Iglesias

No. 2 RB Chester Taylor

No. 2 SS Craig Steltz

No. 2 FS Josh Bullocks and Major Wright

Other than the OL switch, which was already reported and discussed, I don't see many huge shocks here.

The one surprise to me was Clark at HB. The main reason that was a surprise for me is because I would have expected Manu to be the starting HB.

From Jeff Dickerson

Offense

WR Johnny Knox

LT Chris Williams

LG Roberto Garza

C. Olin Kreutz

RG Lance Louis

RT Frank Omiyale

TE Greg Olsen

QB Jay Cutler

WR Devin Hester

RB Matt Forte

HB Desmond Clark

Defense

DT Tommie Harris

NT Anthony Adams

LDE Mark Anderson/Israel Idonije

RDE Julius Peppers

WLB Lance Briggs

MLB Brian Urlacher

SLB Nick Roach/Pisa Tinoisamoa

LCB Zack Bowman

RCB Charles Tillman

FS Chris Harris

SS Danieal Manning

Other spots on the depth chart:

Second team offensive line

LT Kevin Shaffer

LG Johan Asiata

C Josh Beekman

RG James Marten

RT J'Marcus Webb

Wide receivers

No. 2 Rashied Davis and Devin Aromashodu

No. 3 Earl Bennett and Juaquin Iglesias

No. 2 RB Chester Taylor

No. 2 SS Craig Steltz

No. 2 FS Josh Bullocks and Major Wright

I read Manu is the backup TE. I know this is the first depth chart, and there will be plenty of changes, but this just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would Manu not be looked at for the HB spot?

Apparently Manu isn't even back-up HB i saw somewhere it was the FB from Cal

Behind Clark at H-back are Will Ta'ufo'ou, Eddie Williams and Harvey Unga

I read Manu is the backup TE. I know this is the first depth chart, and there will be plenty of changes, but this just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would Manu not be looked at for the HB spot?

Agree isn't that why we signed him????

Though I'm fine with anything that gives Will Ta'ufo'ou a shot at a roster spot

I hate to say this, but I don't want Ta'uf.... to make the roster. Nothing personal agaisnt him, but I simply hope we don't keep a FB this year.

We have 4 TEs on the roster, and I like all of them. At RB, Forte and Taylor are locks, obviously. After that, I like Unga and one of Wolfe or Bell (both won't make it).

If we keep a FB though, one of the above will have to go. I just don't think we can keep 4 TEs and 4 RBs unless we justify it by claiming one (or more) can play FB too.

Agree isn't that why we signed him????

Though I'm fine with anything that gives Will Ta'ufo'ou a shot at a roster spot

This is my opinion, and far from factual.

When Martz first came on, he talked about Hester being "scary good" and talked about him out of the slot, saying how similar he was to Az Hakim. Lovie was quick to counter that point and say Hester was a starter, and immediately after that, Martz referred to Hester as a starter. Thus I think Martz likes Hester in the slot, but Lovie has forced him do otherwise.

With that said,

(a) Hester appears to be having a great camp, and while he likely will never be a truly elite #1 WR, in this offense, he may better fit in the #1 WR role. He has excelled in camp, and this could truly be a breakout season for him.

(B) I have read nothing to base this on, but simply something I think we will see. When we have two WRs on the field, Hester will be one of them, likely with Knox opposite. When we add a 3rd WR (DA), Hester will move into the slot. By doing this, Lovie is happy because Hester is always on the field, but Martz gets to move Hester into the position he feels he best fits. Further, moving Hester will make life more difficult for defenses who may try to game plan against him.

Again, that is simply what I think will happen, but it would seem to make sense.

Are they really planning on using Hester as the #1 receiver again? I don't get why they wouldn't put him as the slot #3 receiver. That's by far his best chance to excel as a player. Aromashodu is our best WR and should be #1 with Knox on the opposite side and Earl Bennett as the #4.

Today's article in the Suntimes quoted Drake as saying they are going to make sure Hester is fresh for special teams. Seems clear they are now willing to pull him off the field for a snap or two and I think they have also said they will move him around to make it harder for defenses to key on him, or in other words put him in the slot. Whatever they have to do to massage the egos is fine by me just get the most productive WR group on the field.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear11.article

Drake said there's less pressure to overwork Hester at receiver. The team is confident in its depth at the position, particularly with another Devin emerging. Devin Aromashodu was the team's hottest receiver in the final quarter of last season and has had a strong start to training camp, despite the challenge of learning all three receiver positions.

''[Aromashodu] gets in there, and they split time,'' Drake said. ''We don't want that heavy burden put on [Hester].

''Because we have the luxury of having DA, it gives us the opportunity to keep Devin as fresh as we can.''