Oline

bowlingtwig

I have to say that despite what the stats say for yesterday that I am starting to see good things from this starting unit. I was glad that they decided to keep Lance Louis in there in to the 3rd. We saw some very good things from this unit like the beautiful blocks by Louis and Kruetz and Greg Olsen sealing his block as well to spring Forte for his 89 yd run. We also saw the bad. i.e. Chris Williams. Wimbley ate him up for dinner last night.

I have to say that despite what the stats say for yesterday that I am starting to see good things from this starting unit. I was glad that they decided to keep Lance Louis in there in to the 3rd. We saw some very good things from this unit like the beautiful blocks by Louis and Kruetz and Greg Olsen sealing his block as well to spring Forte for his 89 yd run. We also saw the bad. i.e. Chris Williams. Wimbley ate him up for dinner last night.

It's pretty bad when we are looking for good things to say about the OL. At this rate Cutler may not make it out of the pre-season. It takes a long time time for an OL to gell. Add to that, we have a new OL coach, new OC and an average to below talent pool on OL. It does not look good. I potentially see us at 2-4 to start the season. Don't get me started on the defense. We can only hope they are sandbagging for the beginning of the season.

It's pretty bad when we are looking for good things to say about the OL. At this rate Cutler may not make it out of the pre-season. It takes a long time time for an OL to gell. Add to that, we have a new OL coach, new OC and an average to below talent pool on OL. It does not look good. I potentially see us at 2-4 to start the season. Don't get me started on the defense. We can only hope they are sandbagging for the beginning of the season.

Yeah I agree. Cutler can not continue to take shots. The Defense is pathetic so far at least we have the talent on Defense and hopefully they will show up.

Yeah I agree. Cutler can not continue to take shots. The Defense is pathetic so far at least we have the talent on Defense and hopefully they will show up.

IMHO we need to put Shaffer at LG and just plain cut Garza. Garza can't block anyone and is always getting pushed backwards, maybe his knees are bad or something.

Dude...you gotta be kidding me. I understand glass half full, but you're borderline drunk on the koolaide. All the talk out of camp about the DL looking awesome was probably a lot more of the OL looking horrible than action by the DL. The first three snaps against the Raiders - an average DL - showed us that.

Snap #1: Caved in to and a run gets stuffed

Snap #2: Crushed up the middle for the sack

Snap #3: Dismissed on the edge for a sack

There is no doubt that Martz' offense puts the QB in more jeopardy, but the Bears' OL is one of the 5 worst in the NFL, and it showed. If Cutler gets hurt this year, the fact that it wasn't addressed in the draft is borderline criminal, and the Bears' front office could all be accomplices to assault charges.

One. I think most should have expected this line to be pretty poor early on, but the hope is they improve over time. New faces at new places, youth and a new system are going to make for some rough going early on.

Two. Something to also consider is, the staff is keeping players in one-on-one situations and not game planning so as to evaluate players. If this were a game, I think Tice would have likely provided Williams some support, but as he is trying to evaluate Williams, he left him alone. The bad is Cutler could get killed before the season begins, but the good is (hopefully) such weak performances will not necessarily carry over into the season.

The OL was always the top concern on offense, and continues to be. We just have to hope they can continue to develop and mesh together. Honestly, I am more worried about the D at this point. It has looked pretty dang bad, and there are far fewer excuses as we have a D loaded with veterans, many/most of which have played in this same system for some time.

...bad system.

NOt that these pre-season games mean the world, but I have to say I'm more on the concerned side than not.

The OL was always the top concern on offense, and continues to be. We just have to hope they can continue to develop and mesh together. Honestly, I am more worried about the D at this point. It has looked pretty dang bad, and there are far fewer excuses as we have a D loaded with veterans, many/most of which have played in this same system for some time.

Don't get me wrong. I am plenty concerned, especially when you combine an iffy OL with Martz' system. For whatever reason, I still simply have a level of hope.

On the defensive side, I have less hope.

...bad system.

NOt that these pre-season games mean the world, but I have to say I'm more on the concerned side than not.

Kind of my thoughts as well.

I have far more faith in Martz and Cutler than I do the masterminds behind our ever faltering defense...

Dang. Did I just say the Bears O is better than the D? Don't think I did...just more concerned.

Don't get me wrong. I am plenty concerned, especially when you combine an iffy OL with Martz' system. For whatever reason, I still simply have a level of hope.

On the defensive side, I have less hope.

I refuse to be cynical and write off the season....but

The Oline is a huge question mark and I would be very surprised if it improves greatly from last year. If we are to be successful, ie a winning record, it has to.

The D is a big question mark....

The Offence needs time to jell methinks.

I have a feeling we may be looking at an 8-8 type year with end of year reports of improvement and being close to the big one...see Wannsted "all of the pieces are in place."

I hope I am wrong.

I refuse to be cynical and write off the season....but

The Oline is a huge question mark and I would be very surprised if it improves greatly from last year. If we are to be successful, ie a winning record, it has to.

The D is a big question mark....

The Offence needs time to jell methinks.

I have a feeling we may be looking at an 8-8 type year with end of year reports of improvement and being close to the big one...see Wannsted "all of the pieces are in place."

I hope I am wrong.

You forgot to add... "Chris Williams is our left tackle." Lovie

It reminded of the days of Rex. LOL. I really am done with Lovie. Win or lose. I'm afraid it will be the latter.

I believe we will have a season, but either (a) the CBA is agreed on just before the season starts or (B) we miss some games before there is a new CBA. I don't believe we lose the entire season.

If the CBA is in doubt, I don't see the team making a move. Even if a new CBA is agreed on, it will likely be too late in the offseason to make any major coaching changes. Thus another year of Lovie.

Depends on if you count no season as a season.

Don't schedule a parade for the spring :)

Hey, you know how I feel about Lovie. I was in the minority saying we made the SB in spite of Lovie. I never liked the hire, and hated the extension. But at the same time, the reality is he will likely be here next year. I think it would take a Detroit like tanking for the owners to dump him w/ time left on his deal and the CBA still up in the air. Team isn't going to pay two coaches for a season that may not happen.

Dammit man! 2 people are lining up in the oust Smith camp, and you have to rain on my parade! ;)

Hey, you know how I feel about Lovie. I was in the minority saying we made the SB in spite of Lovie. I never liked the hire, and hated the extension. But at the same time, the reality is he will likely be here next year. I think it would take a Detroit like tanking for the owners to dump him w/ time left on his deal and the CBA still up in the air. Team isn't going to pay two coaches for a season that may not happen.

Kind of makes me wish the Bears would tank the season so we could get rid of Lovie....hahaha, just kidding! :unsure:

I know, I know...

But a man can dream! ...not about a Detroit downward spiral, but just a plain old pink slip!

Something tells me there will be a CBA at the 11th hour...

I think it will be a shortened season.

Despite TV revenue, many smaller market owners will feel the pinch w/o game day profits. At the same time, while players like Peppers will feel nothing at the loss of a game check, many many more will feel the sting big time. Though the minimum is more than most any on this board makes, players live as though they make 10 times as much, and when those checks are not in the mail, they will press the union to make a deal.

So while I would love to believe we have a full season, I fear it will take the loss of a couple games to really pressure both sides. Its one thing to know how much you will lose, and another thing when you open a mailbox and the check aint there.

I'm leaning towards season start date...

I could also see that. It's just too up in the air.

On a side note, I really hate the idea of the "expanded" season... I just see more injuries, more teams resting starters longer before the playoffs, a skewing of records...to name a few. Season ticket holders may think it's good, but I guarantee prices will go up for those 2 regular season games. Somehow shape or form, we fans always pay...

I think it will be a shortened season.

Despite TV revenue, many smaller market owners will feel the pinch w/o game day profits. At the same time, while players like Peppers will feel nothing at the loss of a game check, many many more will feel the sting big time. Though the minimum is more than most any on this board makes, players live as though they make 10 times as much, and when those checks are not in the mail, they will press the union to make a deal.

So while I would love to believe we have a full season, I fear it will take the loss of a couple games to really pressure both sides. Its one thing to know how much you will lose, and another thing when you open a mailbox and the check aint there.