Cutdowns coming

flea

Trade bait: Roster cuts from 80 to 75 are due Tuesday and teams are beginning to call around to see what might be available.

A league source said the Bears have informed other clubs that running back Garrett Wolfe and safety Al Afalava could be traded. That doesn't mean they will be or they're destined to be released, but the fishing line has been cast. Wolfe is in competition with Kahlil Bell for the third running back job.

Bell has been staying after practice to get extra special teams work in this week. The third running back must be a four-phase special teams contributor and Wolfe has been a good one.

"It's definitely a different type of challenge, trying to learn all the positions and do all four phases," Bell said. "I feel like I'm a football player and I can make the adjustment. I think I've stepped up to that challenge."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-08...a-bears-release

Matt Leinart is likely on the trading block, not that the Bears should be interested. lol

I'm ready to start discussing the final roster:

I think Jarron Gilbert gets cut and that pisses me off. While it's the right call given his total lack of productivity it's another wasted 3rd Rd pick. That's killing this team, but you all know that. Gilbert's competition, Wootton, hasn't shown much either but as rookie his arrow, athleticism, and attitude are all pointing up.

Brian Iwuh has quietly moved into the backup WLB spot behind Briggs and nobody else is listed behind him. I know he was brought in for his special teams ability but it appears he's giving us far more than that. Meanwhile, Tim Shaw is buried behind Roach/Tino so his shot at making the roster appears to be solely as a special teams ace.

The entire DB situation is a mess, and not for a good reason. What seems very clear is that Major Wright is going to be starting for us at FS. Maybe he's not ready in game 1 but once that finger is healed he's out there. Behind him and Chris Harris (and perhaps Steltz) there's a lot of question marks.

Oline: Beekman hasn't looked good at all. For that matter it's hard to even come up with 5 guys who have looked good enough to make the roster let alone figure out the backups. We know Shaffer will be there and likely Asiata, Beekman (based on past experience and an utter lack of competition).

Surely Greg Olsen will get us a serviceable CB or safety or o lineman. Come on, we aren't gonna use him anyway so why not. Hell, let me put together a list of all tradeble players

Urlacher

Tillman

Olsen

Harris

Wolfe

Hester

Those guy can surely get us some picks. Of course, we will need a GM worth a crap to make the deals and evaluate the talent but we do have some tradeable guys here. There alot of teams looking for help. Us being one of them but our help needs to come in the form of a new regime and these players can help somebody TODAY without putting such an incredible burden on us so we can maximize what we get for them. I'll bet there are 4-5 second rd picks right there.

Surely Greg Olsen will get us a serviceable CB or safety or o lineman. Come on, we aren't gonna use him anyway so why not. Hell, let me put together a list of all tradeble players

Urlacher

Tillman

Olsen

Harris

Wolfe

Hester

Those guy can surely get us some picks. Of course, we will need a GM worth a crap to make the deals and evaluate the talent but we do have some tradeable guys here. There alot of teams looking for help. Us being one of them but our help needs to come in the form of a new regime and these players can help somebody TODAY without putting such an incredible burden on us so we can maximize what we get for them. I'll bet there are 4-5 second rd picks right there.

MY GOD, you aren't suggesting that God Urlacher be traded are you? Head for the hills, you are about to be pilloried around these parts. As for me, the sooner he went the better if we could get a decent player/pick for him. He is well past his prime and a loud mouthed lout.

I would hate to let go of Harris or Tillman....and Wolfe, but feel we have little chose with him. I doubt we could get much for Harris....I would not mind Olsen going as we have too many TE's anyway, as long as we could get a decent player or pick for him. I would not let go of Hester unless we were getting big compensation.

Exactly what do you think we can get for these players?

Olsen couldn't net a 2nd, and he may be the most tradable on this list due to potential/age/contract.

Urlacher is near the end of his career, coming off season ending surgery, and went down again in the preseason. Then there is also his contact. Urlacher is near untradable, not because I worship him, but his value in a trade is near non-existent. Even if a team liked him, they wouldn't want him with his contract.

Tillman. See Urlacher. Injury prone, and was justed publically demoted to #2 CB behind a still unproven kid. Another bigger contract too.

Harris- I assume you mean Tommie, not our newly acquired S. Harris has not really played well for several years, has been benched once each of the last two seasons, injury prone and has a large contract. Again, see Urlacher.

Wolfe - Maybe you get a team to cough up a 7th, but this is someone who may be cut. Your not going to get much for him.

Hester. Lets see. He has a WR contract, but do you really think another team loves him as a WR? Even as a returner, he has not done that well for two years.

Sorry, it isn't that I am such of fan of these players that I can't stand the idea of trading them, but simply question the trade value of any of them. Right now, their value in the market will not bring jack, but at the same time, it is still possible several of these players can provide very good play on the field. It isn't so much that their are crap, just that their trade value is crap.

Urlacher

Tillman

Olsen

Harris

Wolfe

Hester

MY GOD, you aren't suggesting that God Urlacher be traded are you? Head for the hills, you are about to be pilloried around these parts. As for me, the sooner he went the better if we could get a decent player/pick for him. He is well past his prime and a loud mouthed lout.

Let me ask you this: Are the Bears better without #54? Are you saying you want Hunter in the starting lineup against Detroit? Granted, we'd shed his 9 million salary (I THINK that's what it is) but we couldn't use it to immediately improve the team.

It's September and the only thing I give a damn about is winning now.

Let me ask you this: Are the Bears better without #54? Are you saying you want Hunter in the starting lineup against Detroit? Granted, we'd shed his 9 million salary (I THINK that's what it is) but we couldn't use it to immediately improve the team.

Haha, I knew that would get some Url lovers out of the closet.....

I would be happy to see him go, as I said before. Url is not a difference maker anymore and his act is old IMO....

Put Pisa in the middle, Briggs and Roach on the outside. Don't tell me that scares you. There's NOTHING special about our MLB position that Pisa couldn't handle. Don't say he's brittle because Urlacher is just as brittle. I don't buy the line we can't get a second for Urlacher. Money or no money, I would still bet we could at least get a second. Harris and Hester could each easily net us a 2 or 3. I'm betting a 2 for Harris and a 3 for Hester. Hester's contract is laced with incentives. THAT is the only way he makes WR money. Olsen would be more coveted outside of Chicago and has gotten great press, I have no doubt we'd get a 2. Harris' contract is not back breaking either.

Urlacher WAS untradable. He's not anymore. He hasn't been a force in a couple yrs. This system has seen to that. I believe he would jump at the chance to be in a system more friendly to him, (even to the point of reworking his contract) maybe as the finishing touch to a defense needing a LB.

Exactly what do you think we can get for these players?

Olsen couldn't net a 2nd, and he may be the most tradable on this list due to potential/age/contract.

Urlacher is near the end of his career, coming off season ending surgery, and went down again in the preseason. Then there is also his contact. Urlacher is near untradable, not because I worship him, but his value in a trade is near non-existent. Even if a team liked him, they wouldn't want him with his contract.

Tillman. See Urlacher. Injury prone, and was justed publically demoted to #2 CB behind a still unproven kid. Another bigger contract too.

Harris- I assume you mean Tommie, not our newly acquired S. Harris has not really played well for several years, has been benched once each of the last two seasons, injury prone and has a large contract. Again, see Urlacher.

Wolfe - Maybe you get a team to cough up a 7th, but this is someone who may be cut. Your not going to get much for him.

Hester. Lets see. He has a WR contract, but do you really think another team loves him as a WR? Even as a returner, he has not done that well for two years.

Sorry, it isn't that I am such of fan of these players that I can't stand the idea of trading them, but simply question the trade value of any of them. Right now, their value in the market will not bring jack, but at the same time, it is still possible several of these players can provide very good play on the field. It isn't so much that their are crap, just that their trade value is crap.

But that 9 Million unpaid to Urlacher could be used to justify the financials of firing Lovie...paying his remaining salary....and hiring another coach. (maybe a good one this time)

In this uncapped year its a great time to dump players for money purposes. Signing bonuses go against this year (no cap)...and the unspent money can be used for other things.

Same for Tommie Harris' 10 Million.

Put Pisa in the middle, Briggs and Roach on the outside. Don't tell me that scares you. There's NOTHING special about our MLB position that Pisa couldn't handle. Don't say he's brittle because Urlacher is just as brittle. I don't buy the line we can't get a second for Urlacher. Money or no money, I would still bet we could at least get a second. Harris and Hester could each easily net us a 2 or 3. I'm betting a 2 for Harris and a 3 for Hester. Hester's contract is laced with incentives. THAT is the only way he makes WR money. Olsen would be more coveted outside of Chicago and has gotten great press, I have no doubt we'd get a 2. Harris' contract is not back breaking either.

Urlacher WAS untradable. He's not anymore. He hasn't been a force in a couple yrs. This system has seen to that. I believe he would jump at the chance to be in a system more friendly to him, (even to the point of reworking his contract) maybe as the finishing touch to a defense needing a LB.

I think he is saying he is untradable because nobody wants him or his contract. He is not saying that we shouldn't trade him.

Anything ridding us of Cancer Smith is money well spent/saved!

My heart still tugs for BU...but the emptiness of losing BU would easily be filled with the overwhelming gushing of joy with seeing Smith finally gone! ;)

But that 9 Million unpaid to Urlacher could be used to justify the financials of firing Lovie...paying his remaining salary....and hiring another coach. (maybe a good one this time)

In this uncapped year its a great time to dump players for money purposes. Signing bonuses go against this year (no cap)...and the unspent money can be used for other things.

Same for Tommie Harris' 10 Million.

Correct. Think stock market. You do not want to sell low, and that is where Urlacher's stock is. I would argue his value on the field is greater than his market value at this point, due to his injury history/ age and contract. I am sure there are teams would who like to have him, but not with the contract that would come with a trade.

Seriously, most guys on that list might net a 5th or lower. You really think that benefits the team?

It isn't that I am against trading much of anyone on the team. Its a matter of being smart about it. You don't just give a player away that would otherwise contribute, and with their market values, that is what you would be doing.

I think he is saying he is untradable because nobody wants him or his contract. He is not saying that we shouldn't trade him.

Correct. Think stock market. You do not want to sell low, and that is where Urlacher's stock is. I would argue his value on the field is greater than his market value at this point, due to his injury history/ age and contract. I am sure there are teams would who like to have him, but not with the contract that would come with a trade.

Seriously, most guys on that list might net a 5th or lower. You really think that benefits the team?

It isn't that I am against trading much of anyone on the team. Its a matter of being smart about it. You don't just give a player away that would otherwise contribute, and with their market values, that is what you would be doing.

I would go a round higher, but your right, the value isn't there.

I could see no one trading for Harris more than a 6th. He hasn't did much, and soon as he up for trade, people will know he is on the market soon.

Urlacher I could see getting a 4th from the right team in need.

Hester, I could see maybe a 3rd under the right situation, but most likely a 4th at most. It'd have to be a team in desperate need of a returner and WR's.

Tillman I could see easily get a 4th. He's not great in my eyes, but he seems to have a good rep in the league and respect. Teams always need CB's.

Wolfe, I couldn't see more than a 7th round conditional pick on him making that team's roster.

Olsen, I think the highest teams supposedly offered for him before the draft was a 5th. I'd say it'd probably be the same, if not lower, since those same teams drafted TE's.

I would go a round higher, but your right, the value isn't there.

I could see no one trading for Harris more than a 6th. He hasn't did much, and soon as he up for trade, people will know he is on the market soon.

Hester, I could see maybe a 3rd under the right situation, but most likely a 4th at most. It'd have to be a team in desperate need of a returner and WR's.

Tillman I could see easily get a 4th. He's not great in my eyes, but he seems to have a good rep in the league and respect. Teams always need CB's.

Wolfe, I couldn't see more than a 7th round conditional pick on him making that team's roster.

Olsen, I think the highest teams supposedly offered for him before the draft was a 5th. I'd say it'd probably be the same, if not lower, since those same teams drafted TE's.

You could probably go up a round on Tillman to the right team with playoff aspirations and secondary concerns. Both the Patriots and Vikings could be interested in him.

Honestly, I am not sure if we put Urlacher on the block that he would get one offer. Thing with Urlacher is the contract. Even without the cap, that is a lot of money to eat, and I just question whether a team would do it, especially with the injury issues.

Again, don't see it. What has he done as a return man in the last two years? Nothing. Hard enough to get teams to give up quality picks for a good/great return man, but for one who hasn't done well in several years?

Tillman was just demoted by the team. He has dealt with numerous injuries over the last few years. He is more a system player as he doesn't have the speed to play man, meaning the group of teams who "may" like him would be smaller.

Likely nothing as many expect him to be cut.

Actually think it possible we could get a 4th. He has played well, is still young, contact isn't bad. He is likely the most tradable of the bunch. Still wouldn't do it, but just talking trade value.

First round.

The Chicago Bears have cut second-year safety Al Afalava, while veteran Josh Bullocks appears to have made the final 53-man roster, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Cornerback Cornelius Brown, tight end Richard Angulo and linebacker Kelvin Smith also were cut, according to sources.

Honestly, I am not sure if we put Urlacher on the block that he would get one offer. Thing with Urlacher is the contract. Even without the cap, that is a lot of money to eat, and I just question whether a team would do it, especially with the injury issues.

Again, don't see it. What has he done as a return man in the last two years? Nothing. Hard enough to get teams to give up quality picks for a good/great return man, but for one who hasn't done well in several years?

Tillman was just demoted by the team. He has dealt with numerous injuries over the last few years. He is more a system player as he doesn't have the speed to play man, meaning the group of teams who "may" like him would be smaller.

Likely nothing as many expect him to be cut.

Actually think it possible we could get a 4th. He has played well, is still young, contact isn't bad. He is likely the most tradable of the bunch. Still wouldn't do it, but just talking trade value.

It was a big mistake to give BU that contract, especially the additional money recently, as he is clearly on the decline and is not worthy of icon money due to his complete lack character. We should have told him to leave if he wanted more money and looked for someone happy to pay him, we could have probably even had a draft pick in addition. Linebackers are a dime a dozen nowadays and we never would have suffered on the field without him, and off the field his absence would have been very positive.

Let's trade for Darelle Revis!! B)

Screw Revis. He held out originally to get the contract he has now and now he is holding and he said he is looking for a contract that is just beyond ridiculous. He has been a great shut down CB for a total of 1 yr. What makes me think that will continue to happen. and if he does continue to be a great shut down corner what makes me think after next yr he wont hold out again and try to get even a bigger contract. People talk about Url being ridiculous dont even get me started with cry baby revis.