Optimism

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty optimistic after this game.

1. The LB's today were outstanding. Briggs and Urlacher were great, and Tinoisamoa was flying around, too.

2. It seems like Cutler and Martz really do get along.

3. The secondary played pretty well for the opportunities given. Sure, Stafford missed the 2nd half, but they had double-digits yards at halftime, too.

4. Forte looks very quick, even faster then he did in 2008.

5. The OL wasn't good and the WR's either had drops or ran the wrong routes, but I expect the OL to suck, and the WR's will improve. It was game #1. Obviously they have to limit the TO's.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty optimistic after this game.

1. The LB's today were outstanding. Briggs and Urlacher were great, and Tinoisamoa was flying around, too.

2. It seems like Cutler and Martz really do get along.

3. The secondary played pretty well for the opportunities given. Sure, Stafford missed the 2nd half, but they had double-digits yards at halftime, too.

4. Forte looks very quick, even faster then he did in 2008.

5. The OL wasn't good and the WR's either had drops or ran the wrong routes, but I expect the OL to suck, and the WR's will improve. It was game #1. Obviously they have to limit the TO's.

Your absolutely right. We had over 400 yards of offense and the D held lions to less than 200 total yards. If we limit the TO's and the coaching staff(LS) learns how to coach(i know i know) we could do alright.

The offense stepped up late and that was good but for the most part they have alot of work to do. Moving the ball they did well, but gave up too many turnovers, too many dropped passes and the goal line failure in the 4th was ridiculous and should never happen in professional football. With that said the defense was impressive. Julius Peppers came up huge for us on that sack/fumble, the linebackers were outstanding- both Urlacher and Briggs played like animals. We're going to need that next week against Dallas who's miles better than Detroit. I didn't notice the secondary much and that's a good thing. The sad part is that when it came down to crunch time the defense failed. Regardless of what the final score says, the Bears really lost this game but lucked out because of a terrible call. The thing I've never understood and never will is when it gets down to the 2 minute drill and a team is forced to throw the ball down the field, the common thing to do is to back up and basically invite a team to throw the ball for 15 yards over the middle whenever they please. It's so stupid! The feeling is, you don't want to give up the big play.. well when your defense has shut down Calvin Johnson for the entire game and the other QB hasn't thrown for over 100 yards in the game why would you change up what you're doing?

The offensive line played better than they did in preseason but it's no where near good enough to win against the above average to elite defenses in the NFL. The Cowboys defense is one of the best at getting pressure on the QB so Martz has to design alot of max protections to help protect Cutler from Demarcus Ware and Co. I saw our line get manhandled for most of the game in the running game. There were very few times when the OL got a push up front. I can't remember if one or two of Cutler's sacks were a result of him holding onto the ball for too long.

The Bears had 463 yards, which is the most since 1997? The 168 yards allowed was the best since 2006? So I believe the difference of 295 yards was the most in decades. Yards don't equate to wins, but it is promising to see on both sides of the ball. The defense also held the Lions to 10 drives with 10 yards or less. That is silly. Again yards don't mean much, but at least we showed we can move the ball.

People say it is only Detroit, but they are much improved and have some good players at many skill positions. Any time you hold Johnson to 4 catches and 45 yards, you are doing pretty good.

We also did something that we rarely do, win a game where we lose the TO battle. Detroit was lucky to be even in the game in the 4th. Based on some of the errors we could have been up by 20+ heading into the final frame.

So if we can clean up the drops, limit the TOs and penalties, I think we have a chance to surprise some people. After the train wreck of a preseason I was actually pleasantly surprised overall. Also, a bunch of teams on our schedule did not look too good, which is nice to see. Next up Dallas, who scored 7 pts against the Redskins.