Just heard on the Score...Hilly on IR

madlithuanian

More info from the Trib...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...ed-illness.html

By Brad Biggs

Bears linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer, who was forced to leave Sunday's opener against the Lions with an undisclosed illness, has been placed on season-ending injured reserve because of symptoms related to a concussion, according to NFL sources.

On Monday, coach Lovie Smith said the Bears still were evaluating Hillenmeyer's condition.

Hillenmeyer, 29, made multiple radio appearances Tuesday morning and said that he was feeling better.

Hillenmeyer also didn't travel to Cleveland for the final preseason game a week-and-a-half earlier because of what club officials said was an illness.

"Honestly, I am feeling better," Hillenmeyer, who declined to disclose the nature of the illness, told "The Mully & Hanley Show" on WSCR-AM 670. "I don't know exactly the details of all that. You know how Lovie (Smith) is about talking about anything health-related. We'll leave it at that."

Smith was no more forthcoming during his news conference Monday, leaving the issue somewhat open-ended.

"Right now, it's just an illness that he has that we're evaluating," Smith said.

It's not known whether the preseason illness is related to Sunday's issue.

Linebacker Nick Roach also was forced to leave Sunday's game with a pulled right hamstring a little more than two weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

Perhaps in anticipation they will need to consider adding a linebacker, the Bears worked out four free-agent linebackers at Halas Hall on Tuesday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Marcus Buggs (Vanderbilt), Blaze Soares (Hawaii), Nate Triplett (Minnesota) and Donovan Woods (Oklahoma State) all had tryouts.

They were just four of 11 players in for a tryout, though. The list also included five wide receivers: former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Michael Clayton, Keenan Burton, Onrea Jones, Juamorris Stewart and Rashaun Greer. To throw to the wide receivers, quarterbacks Tim Hiller (Western Michigan) and Matt Nichols (Eastern Washington) were also brought in, according to the source.

If the Bears want to re-sign Kevin Malast, who was with the team for the previous two preseasons, he's currently in St. Louis for a workout with the Rams, per another league source.

Stay tuned as this situation develops

The clowns on the Score were pondering if this was a union busting move...apparently Hilly is either THE rep or has close ties... They mentioned the Bears did similar with Duerson back in the day during the last strike. I'm not buying it, but it is interesting...

There is definitely more to this story. Even if it's a serious concussion you would think sitting on the bench for a month or 6 weeks would be enough.

well if it is a concussion depending on the degree, he may have to sit out the season, I hope he is ok, after hearing what that kid did in somewhere in NE kinda makes ya think.

Yeah...it's certainly true that there is a degree of concussion that would require a player to sit out the season...but I get the impression it's really, really hard to tell that early in the recovery process. We see it all the time...the guys who get serious concussions that actually cost them months of playing time (Westbrook, from baseball Morneau) never think they're going to be out with concussion symptoms for as long as they actually wind up being out for.

Does HH have a long history of serious concussions? That's the only situation that I'd think a concussion turns into an immediate IR trip for a guy for medical reasons.

This may be it for Hilly what Zaidman is speculating. If so, thank you Hilly for all the years of service, I hope you're ok!

Dido. Hilly showed pluck and really proved to be a serviceable pickup. Glad we swiped him from the Puckers! Good luck Hilly.