Jason Whitock on the non-catch (see #5)

madlithuanian

I think most seem to agree that, by rule, it was an incomplete pass, but at the same time, many question the rule itself.

At the end of the day, for me, the rule may not be a good one, but it isn't a new one either. Det is not the first team to get hosed by the rule (we have a couple times) and won't be the last.

Having not seen it, from the furor here I assumed that it was quite a close call. This is not the first person I have read since saying it was not a close call, it was clearly an incomplete pass....

I think most seem to agree that, by rule, it was an incomplete pass, but at the same time, many question the rule itself.

At the end of the day, for me, the rule may not be a good one, but it isn't a new one either. Det is not the first team to get hosed by the rule (we have a couple times) and won't be the last.

Read the article earlier and agree with him. Move on and give it up on this rule that has been with us for a while.

Sterling Sharpe said (and I quote loosely) "you're a professional, know the rules, make the catch"

Matt Forte said: "The officials came in during camp and made that a point of emphasis so I knew I had to hold onto the ball on my catch in the endzone."

The rule is designed to take subjectiveness out of the equation when officials make calls. Therefore it's a good rule. Occasionally we'll see a situation where a guy clearly catches a ball only to drop it or bobble it when he hits the ground. Incomplete. Just because Calvin Johnson created his own bobble does not change the fact he lost the ball in the act of going to the ground. The act of going to the ground is not the instant you hit the ground.

Sterling Sharpe said (and I quote loosely) "you're a professional, know the rules, make the catch"

Matt Forte said: "The officials came in during camp and made that a point of emphasis so I knew I had to hold onto the ball on my catch in the endzone."

The rule is designed to take subjectiveness out of the equation when officials make calls. Therefore it's a good rule. Occasionally we'll see a situation where a guy clearly catches a ball only to drop it or bobble it when he hits the ground. Incomplete. Just because Calvin Johnson created his own bobble does not change the fact he lost the ball in the act of going to the ground. The act of going to the ground is not the instant you hit the ground.

That was a great article.