Offensive play calling

jason

Was anyone else surprised by the consistency with which Martz had Cutler go back into deep drops the entire game? It seemed that a change should have been made considering the beating Cutler was taking and the frequency with which the Packers were blitzing, but it never really came like in the Cowboys game.

I understand why the run game didn't get more love - especially considering the horrendous run blocking - but I don't get why there weren't more short passes in the flats, a screen or three, and a couple quick slants.

Was anyone else surprised by the consistency with which Martz had Cutler go back into deep drops the entire game? It seemed that a change should have been made considering the beating Cutler was taking and the frequency with which the Packers were blitzing, but it never really came like in the Cowboys game.

I understand why the run game didn't get more love - especially considering the horrendous run blocking - but I don't get why there weren't more short passes in the flats, a screen or three, and a couple quick slants.

Part of that is that the Bears didn't have the ball much. Cutler took a shot or two, but even then, the worst of them were illegal hits.

The Bears were pretty regularly able to move the ball either way. They went with the large chunks in this game. The run blocking wasn't horrendous to me, the guys were actually able to get some legit yardage on the ground, although that slowed down in the 2nd half.

I think the answer is...the Packers were giving the Bears openings down the field, and Martz isn't the sort to pass them up, because those turn into points very rapidly.

Yeah I noticed that too. I was surprised that we didn't go to more slants and short passing routes to fend off the Packers blitzes but Martz stood pat with the long routes and actually for parts of the game the offensive line did a good job picking up the blitz and allowed Cutler time to throw. We still need to run alot more screens every game to keep the other teams pass rush in check. We got the Giants next week and we all know they can bring it just as well as the Cowboys and Packers except most of their pressure comes from there front 4. That makes for a great screen setup and I hope Martz can exploit it.

And it's about time Devin Aromashodu gets back in the starting lineup. I keep hearing he's having a hard time learning how to be a slot receiver. WTF? He's NOT a slot receiver. Surely Martz can't be that stupid. He's not built to be a slot receiver, he's an outside guy. Hester is the slot man. We are missing that big target as a receiver and I think Cutler needs him, especially in goaline situations and also on 3rd and shorts.

Yeah I noticed that too. I was surprised that we didn't go to more slants and short passing routes to fend off the Packers blitzes but Martz stood pat with the long routes and actually for parts of the game the offensive line did a good job picking up the blitz and allowed Cutler time to throw. We still need to run alot more screens every game to keep the other teams pass rush in check. We got the Giants next week and we all know they can bring it just as well as the Cowboys and Packers except most of their pressure comes from there front 4. That makes for a great screen setup and I hope Martz can exploit it.

And it's about time Devin Aromashodu gets back in the starting lineup. I keep hearing he's having a hard time learning how to be a slot receiver. WTF? He's NOT a slot receiver. Surely Martz can't be that stupid. He's not built to be a slot receiver, he's an outside guy. Hester is the slot man. We are missing that big target as a receiver and I think Cutler needs him, especially in goaline situations and also on 3rd and shorts.

The Devin A situation is looking like the typical scapegoat smelling issues ALA Corey Graham. I hope they will not now decide to just give up on him.

I don't know if it was the play calling or if it was Cutler's decision making but on several occassions the Bears seemed to have a one man route and Cutler kept trying to thread the needle between more than one defender. I remember Hester on one play and Knox and Bennett on several plays actually going up against more than one defender for a reception. This may be one of the things that they need to address in the film room.

About DA from what I've been hearing its not just his play in that game that has determined his recent fate but his lack of willingness to block has also put him in the dog house. That coupled with his lack of special teams play are why he is not being active.

DA dropped four passes against Detroit, including a TD. I remember the good old days when fans ripped Moose for dropping two. DA is in his 5th season so it's not like he's a rookie who is still getting a feel for the game. Maybe he needs to hit the weights a little harder so he can handle the shots over the middle?

I still think DA will be a key part of this offense but if Martz has told him the job involves running some routes over the middle from the slot then guess what, he needs to do that if he wants to play. No different from Olsen having to improve his blocking in order to play..and he did. Hester is smaller and he works out of the slot. Like other players on our roster DA shouldn't get handed a starting spot if he's not doing everything needed. Other players like Bennett might not do some things as well as DA but he can do all things well. Earn it.