Redemption or bust?

madlithuanian

I have a feeling this week will say a lot.

I figure it to be redemption or bust. Of course, much of how this will be perceived will be based on whether Cutler plays or not. Assuming he does play...this game could be prohpetic.

Here's my twisted logic on some scenarios...

1. We lose. If we lose, I think we're done for. It's the kind of loss that can send medicore teams snow-balling. (us last year, the Niners this year) The Panthers on paper are total garbage. We should win, and win big. The O line should improve, or at least block 1 out of 10 rushes unlike last weekend. Martz and staff must adjust and make things happen faster...and run the damn ball more often. Set up the freaking screen already.

2. We win...small. This tells us nothing. It pretty much says we did what is expected. We beat a team crummier than us. The record police will still be out telling us how we should have lost to Detroit, beat a ripe Dallas team, and that the Packers gave us the MNF game. We will have to wait another week to see how we respond before anythign truly telling appears.

3. We win...big. This bodes well. It does the expected by beating the Panthers and shows it was done handily. No controversial calls, no help from ref's, etc. With this scenario, there is a significant chance that some good things could be happeneing and could assume they learned from their NY mistake. Of course, some will still not be satisfied, and probably me included, but at least the arrow is clearly pointing upward. Anything other than this scenario is either doom or wait and see...

Everything wil hinge on Cutler. I'd love to see him kick some freaking ass. Maybe this past Giants game is a wake up call for the guys on O. Maybe they all thought, "Cutty's a tough SOB. he'll always bounce back,etc.." Maybe they realize now, they have to help him. BBF's can't whif on potential career ending sacks. Linemen want thier Rolexes. Maybe WR's try to comeback and help the damn QB when he's under durress. Maybe the staff devises a beter game plan. Maybe, just maybe, this is a fire that gets lit under their collective asses. If it isn't, we are in for a long and punishing season where we will continue to be the butt of virtually every joke in the NFL besides Singletary dropping trou...

My glass is still on the empty side, but there is at least some backwash left in it.

This is a very good post. Good job, Mad.

I'm really sick of the whole "they're 3-1 but got lucky, Dallas wasn't good, and GB had 18 penalties. They showed their true form vs NY" bullsh**. As long as they win @ Carolina, I'll be alright with it. By racking up W's, this means we're sitting pretty for a playoff seat, and anything can happen there (Giants vs Pats). In a perfect world, they destroy Carolina- Peppers gets 2 sacks, they force 4+ turnovers, Cutler gets sacked twice and throws for 270 yards and 2 TD's, Forte rushes for 100 yards, and they win by 30.

I'll be at the game, and since I'm 2-0 (Indianapolis and Seattle) seeing the Bears on the road since 2008, they'll win. No worries. ;)

Thanks. :cheers

I keep hearing on the radio that Cutler now looks doubtful and that Collins will be the guy. I'm hoping you bring your luck with you to that game regardless of who's under center!

This is a very good post. Good job, Mad.

I'm really sick of the whole "they're 3-1 but got lucky, Dallas wasn't good, and GB had 18 penalties. They showed their true form vs NY" bullsh**. As long as they win @ Carolina, I'll be alright with it. By racking up W's, this means we're sitting pretty for a playoff seat, and anything can happen there (Giants vs Pats). In a perfect world, they destroy Carolina- Peppers gets 2 sacks, they force 4+ turnovers, Cutler gets sacked twice and throws for 270 yards and 2 TD's, Forte rushes for 100 yards, and they win by 30.

I'll be at the game, and since I'm 2-0 (Indianapolis and Seattle) seeing the Bears on the road since 2008, they'll win. No worries. ;)