PFT Take on Awful Bears Offense

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...different-ways/

The Bears offense is awful in so many different ways

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 26, 2010 4:02 PM ET

"Halftime adjustments" is a generally overrated concept because coaches are making plenty of adjustments before and after halftime anyway.

Still, Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz may want to adjust whatever it is he's doing at the intermission. Chicago has been outscored 22-0 in the third quarter this year. Yep, not a single point.

"Believe me, we're working to correct that," Bears coach Lovie Smith said via the Chicago Sun-Times. "And we're getting closer. ... We're going to continue to work. I just think the odds say we're going to get that part taken care of."

Yes, the odds do say the Bears will score in the third quarter this year. Some other fun signs of the Bears offensive ineptitude:

1. The Bears failed on 28 straight third down conversion attempts before Jay Cutler completion to Devin Hester midway through the third quarter Sunday.

2. Chicago is converting 17.9% of third downs, less than half the league average. The next worst team is 25.3%.

3. The Bears turned the ball over five straight times against the Redskins, the first team to do that since the 2000 Rams. (Guess who was the coordinator.)

4. The Bears have allowed 31 sacks this year. The next closest team has allowed 21.

5. The Redskins said the Bears offense had a ridiculously easy tell for many of their plays on Sunday. Albert Haynesworth just watched to see which Bears offensive players were talking amongst themselves before the play. Of course.

Permalink 22 Comments Latest stories in: Chicago Bears, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Top Stories

Previous: Giants' Antrel Rolle: "We are the best team in the NFL"Next: Rosenhaus reels in Beanie Wells22 Responses to "The Bears offense is awful in so many different ways"

tig 0 bitties says:

October 26, 2010 4:13 PM

Wait i thought the bears were the best team in the NFC? at least thats what I was told by some of dem bears fans.

football genius says:

October 26, 2010 4:13 PM

Martz offense does not work in the NFL. Period.

NinerDynasty says:

October 26, 2010 4:15 PM

If this offense is awful, what would you categorize the niners offsense? LOL

steve2e says:

October 26, 2010 4:16 PM

Great match for the Vikings Offense.

Great news, Childress could get fired!

Fire Childress

seanx says:

October 26, 2010 4:17 PM

If someone blocked once in a while, they would be a lot better. Cutler may be a schmuck, but he is a decent player. When he isn't getting killed.

8 sacks in one half. 8. I would have quit.

NFLJunkie says:

October 26, 2010 4:18 PM

Still, Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz may want to adjust whatever it is he's doing at the intermission.

Mike Martz? Adjust? Does he even know what that word means?

jpnl says:

October 26, 2010 4:19 PM

"they have a reputation that's mostly built on luck 'cause the Bears still suck."

EVH12345 says:

October 26, 2010 4:23 PM

"2. Chicago is converting 17.9% of third downs, less than half the league average. The next worst team is 25.3%. "

So what's the league average?

SirSuperSouthern says:

October 26, 2010 4:31 PM

Every problem the Bears have on offense could easily be solved by running the ball more often. A lot more often. Which means they'll never figure it out...

laxcoach says:

October 26, 2010 4:32 PM

Will Martz ever get another NFL shot?

Detroit... sucked and was a malcontent who was vocal about wanting another HC job.

49ers... took over an offense on the upswing (after 1 year under Norv Turner) and they sucked. He was so bad that Singletary fired him and replaced him with someone just as bad who a) will run occassionally and B) won't get his QB killed every 4 plays.

Now the Bears. Good run offense when he gets there. Now? Nothing. The only running involves a QB running for his life.

The man is a QB killer on par with Steve Spurrier.

DeluxeReverb says:

October 26, 2010 4:32 PM

Don't forget about how the receivers run the wrong route or just give up on the route. Johnny Knox never knows what he is supposed to be doing.

Bears_Beets_Battlestar says:

October 26, 2010 4:33 PM

@ football genius.

His offense doesn't work in the NFL? Then how would you describe his offense winning the Super Bowl?

It certainly doesn't work with the group the Bears have now, but a general statement like that is just retarded.

garywizard says:

October 26, 2010 4:42 PM

The key to Mike Martz is that you have to give him some time ... Detroit would be a winner now if they had kept him around ...

You guys would fire everyone ...

NFLJunkie says:

October 26, 2010 4:43 PM

The Bears have a horrible offensive line and a bunch of below average receivers. I don't think this should all be pinned on Martz.

tony325 says:

October 26, 2010 4:52 PM

The man is a QB killer on par with Steve Spurrier.

I agree... The only reason Mike Martz got to where he is today is because of 1 guy...

We didn't realize at the time how good Kurt Warner was... He got rid of the ball with such a rhythm & the timing of "The Fastest Show on Turf" was so good, it hid all of Mike Martz's offensive flaws. His offense with less talent is now nothing better/worse than Steve Spurrier's.

sullijo says:

October 26, 2010 4:54 PM

Has anybody noticed that it appears that Cutler would rather hold the ball and take a sack vs. throw it away or risk an Int?

I think he doesn't want to hurt his own stats and wants to get everybody thinking that it's not him, it's the O-line.

His plan kept his INTs at only 4 last weekend....good job Jay!

heyguru says:

October 26, 2010 4:55 PM

I was watching the game and I saw Martz adjust twice. Once he just kind of rolled it on his own, but the other time he reached down with his left hand, grabbed his cup, and clearly scooted it left to right about 3/4 of an inch. The man came up smiling, so some truths are universal. Thankfully for him, he wasn't going vertical at the time...

Tim Couch says says:

October 26, 2010 4:56 PM

Their defense isn't far behind. Looks to me like 5-11 or 6-10.

18ALLDAY says:

October 26, 2010 4:56 PM

Even if the coordinator is bad and the play calling isn't he best you can overcome some of this with a good solid leader. Jay Cutler seems to concerned with how he looks than adapting, studying the defense while on the sideline, or showing any resembelance of a leader. All he does is strut onto the field twitching his shoulder like some d-bag. He reminds me of the overly obnoxious, too cool for school, athlete character in a bad teen movie who ends up getting replaced by the hardworking but dorky and less popular backup.

gurnblanston says:

October 26, 2010 4:57 PM

Martz caught lightning in a bottle with Kurt Warner. He worked his vodoo on a team Dick Vermeil sent through the fire, emerging with a talented, disciplined group. The records and the championship can never be taken away. But, as a head coach and a coordinator since that magical team, Martz is the same old story. Unbelievable pig-headedness in his approach is his signature. Cutler should get a mysterious ailment worthy of IR in an attempt to save himself from Martz and his career-killing offense.

Martz reminds me of that old Norv Turner quote, delivered after yet another humiliating Redskins loss, "What we do works." Turner has even out-Martzed Martz in turning the great fortune of overseeing a truly great team of truly great pieces (Turner riding Johnson, Aikman, Irvin, Smith, etc., to three titles; Martz riding Vermeil, Warner, Faulk, Holt, etc.) into a career of bamboozling desperate owners and general managers.

Good luck, Bear fan. Good luck, Charger fan. Good luck, whichever fan has to endure one of these guys in the future. Trust me, I feel your pain.

P.S. The above should in no way discourage Jerry Jones from hiring Norv Turner the minute he is let go by the Chargers. Hail!

4ever19 says:

October 26, 2010 4:59 PM

Martz's offense won't work because it has the worng QB. Cutler is this century's Jeff George - million dollar arm, 10 cent brain, 5 cent heart. Cutler just does not care. He picks up his check and checks his heart at the door.

Zaggs says:

October 26, 2010 5:02 PM

"4. The Bears have allowed 31 sacks this year. The next closest team has allowed 21"

To be fair almost half of those came from 1 game.