I can't believe it!!!!

kledanhoj

So.. first let me say hey fellas.. it's been a while..

So I was reading an article on the tribune site and there was mention of Todd Collins being elevated back to #2 over Caleb Hanie..

I nearly lost my cheerios and had to find a place to vent!

I have never ever been so disgusted with a Bears coaching staff than I have with this one, and the Bears had some extreme losers at the helm over the past 18 years or so..

I'm no fan of Cutler, although I still can see why they would stick with him. However, Collins is an NFL reject that had about 1/2 a season of success in a 16 year career. To put him over Hanie AGAIN has nearly made me reconsider my allegiance to this franchise. It is truly being run by retards..

I'm flabbergasted and a little nauseous right now..

I'm sure I'll be there cheering this team on till the day I die but I'm not sure I'll ever see a SB victory before I go, and I'm only 42..

Chicago deserves better.. nuff said..

just had to rant!!!!!!

So.. first let me say hey fellas.. it's been a while..

So I was reading an article on the tribune site and there was mention of Todd Collins being elevated back to #2 over Caleb Hanie..

I nearly lost my cheerios and had to find a place to vent!

I have never ever been so disgusted with a Bears coaching staff than I have with this one, and the Bears had some extreme losers at the helm over the past 18 years or so..

I'm no fan of Cutler, although I still can see why they would stick with him. However, Collins is an NFL reject that had about 1/2 a season of success in a 16 year career. To put him over Hanie AGAIN has nearly made me reconsider my allegiance to this franchise. It is truly being run by retards..

I'm flabbergasted and a little nauseous right now..

I'm sure I'll be there cheering this team on till the day I die but I'm not sure I'll ever see a SB victory before I go, and I'm only 42..

Chicago deserves better.. nuff said..

just had to rant!!!!!!

Yep. Pray we don't need the no. 2 QB. You know Martz likes vets and he must have convinced Lovie that Collins is no the best choice. Crap. Lovie has got to go. He can't be head coach and let Martz have free rein. Watch, we'll have abouot 10 running plays tomorrow and Martz wil say that's what the Bills dictated.

Watch, we'll have abouot 10 running plays tomorrow and Martz wil say that's what the Bills dictated.

If that happens (and god knows it could) Martz needs to get fired before he gets on the plane. If Martz won't run the ball 20 or 25 times against the worst run defense since the '08 Lions, he's too stupid or stubborn to call plays in the NFL. The dude calls every play like it's the two-minute drill and he's down three scores.

If that happens (and god knows it could) Martz needs to get fired before he gets on the plane. If Martz won't run the ball 20 or 25 times against the worst run defense since the '08 Lions, he's too stupid or stubborn to call plays in the NFL. The dude calls every play like it's the two-minute drill and he's down three scores.

They shoulda sh!t canned him after the Giant game and just about every game after that.

Thats Martz for ya. Genius indeed.

We will see....I believe that Martz is a big upgrade from what we had before. There were lots of people crying and moaning about Turner last year...does anyone have the sense to realise that our O Line sucks and we are in the first year of a new offense? Or should we just keep blaming the coaching when we are unsuccessful and change coaches every year? What do you think, armchair QB's?

Shhhhh... there are some on this board that said we finally have a real NFL OC.

B)

That's the frustrating thing. Clearly Martz CAN BE smarter, more creative and less predictable than Turner was...he proved that in the Cowboys game and the Panthers game. But he goes right back to the air any time he thinks he's got the game in hand.

With Turner, it just seemed like he wasn't smart enough to call anything except "run inside, run off tackle, play action pass, punt." Whenever he tried to change up his gameplan, his adjustments were a joke. Remember the inside-out set with the TEs split wide and the receivers in the slot? Or all those incredibly obvious bubble screens to Hester? Using Olsen as a goal-line fullback, or running Wolfe up the gut? Every time Turner tried to change his predictable old gameplan, he came up with something stupid and ineffective.

That's what frustrates me so much watching Martz call plays. He clearly CAN switch up his gameplan, and when he has to get creative, his adjustments usually work, which is more than you could say for Turner. But if the game's in reach, he won't adjust, because he'd rather bomb it downfield on every single snap. He won't run when the Bears are leading. He won't run when they're down 3 and within field goal range. He won't call halfback screens or quick hitches when the pass protection sucks. The guy's clearly competent sometimes, but mostly his playcalling just has no relationship with reality. If Ron Turner needed 3 yards on 3rd down, he'd call a fullback dive and get 1, then punt. If Martz needs 3 yards on 3rd down, he calls a deep in/post combo and gets Cutler sacked. Turner's calls were too conservative, but Martz's calls are insanely aggressive, often when they don't need to be.

We will see....I believe that Martz is a big upgrade from what we had before. There were lots of people crying and moaning about Turner last year...does anyone have the sense to realise that our O Line sucks and we are in the first year of a new offense? Or should we just keep blaming the coaching when we are unsuccessful and change coaches every year? What do you think, armchair QB's?

Well, the oline sucked last year and Cutler was in the first year of Turner.

There is a reason Martz hasn't had success since the Rams years and its the same reason he was like the fourth choice to be OC here this offseason.

The worries were well documented when Martz was hired and we have not witnessed anything different.

Turnover prone offense matched with a turnover prone QB.

Sack prone offense with a bad offensive line.

Too big of an ego to adjust.

I expected this. The part I am most disappointed with is the technique coaching of Cutler. Martz was supposed to be a stickler for technique and I have not seen that.

I just hope that Martz starts to understand if he does not adjust then this might be his last stop in the NFL and gets it together to put together some wins.

Not clearly and not statistically.

Time is running out.....

We will see how the W and L's look...I personally see much reason for optimism.

The whole offense, not just Cutler, is adjusting to a new system this year. Let the new coaches, not least Tice, have a bit of time to work with what they have and make some additions, this could be a good team.

We will see how the W and L's look...I personally see much reason for optimism.

The whole offense, not just Cutler, is adjusting to a new system this year. Let the new coaches, not least Tice, have a bit of time to work with what they have and make some additions, this could be a good team.

Well, supposedly its playoffs or bust. The schedule gets alot tougher in the second half.

Well, supposedly its playoffs or bust. The schedule gets alot tougher in the second half.

Yeah, going 4-4 in the second half is about the best we can expect, I think. Could easily be more like 3-5 or 2-6.

As for Martz's offense, I think it's clearly still relevant in the NFL. If anything, it's getting more relevant as time goes on: the rules changes to protect quarterbacks and receivers just keep increasing the incentive to throw the ball.

That said, I think his offense is kind of like Lovie's defense - you need a couple of All-Pro-caliber players and a couple more Pro Bowlers in order to run it. Martz made his name when he had Orlando Pace, Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, and Marshall Faulk. Lovie and the rest of the Tampa-2 guys had Warren Sapp, Simeon Rice, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, and John Lynch. Their systems made the best use of their players' skills, for sure, but they each had a ridiculous collection of talent in the first place.

In my mind, the measure of a good coach isn't how he uses a borderline-Hall-of-Fame player, it's how he uses everybody else. That's what's so impressive about Bill Belichick: he keeps pulling guys out of nowhere and turning them into contributors. His scheme changes almost every year, because he's always adapting to the personnel he's got. I think that's the real reason that Martz was out of a job: Detroit and San Francisco made it pretty clear that he thinks he can run his same scheme regardless of the players he has.