Midseason Draft thread

defiantgiant

We're at the halfway point now, and there are some pretty obvious holes in the Bears' roster. It's always possible that some of them will be filled by season's end: Chris Williams could learn to play guard, one of our receivers could make the jump to a legit #1, Tommie Harris could reemerge as a great interior pass-rusher. At this point, though, none of that seems too likely. So if the season were over next week, who would you want in the draft? Here's my ideal scenario.

1) Julio Jones, WR, Bama - Cutler needs a go-to guy. I didn't buy it before this season, but now I'm convinced. As good as he is, he's always going to force a couple of passes into coverage, so he needs a receiver who can make contested catches. Julio Jones is that receiver. If he's around when the Bears pick (which is possible) they've got to pull the trigger. He's great over the middle, a huge target in the red zone, and has a ridiculous vertical to go up for jump balls. Plus, he's harder to bring down than any other receiver in this year's draft, and he has a stiff-arm like T.O. or Brandon Marshall. This is a guy who could make Cutler look like a Pro Bowler again.

2) Marcus Cannon, OT/OG, TCU - Huge left tackle who'll probably have to move to the right or inside in the pros. Is surprisingly good in pass protection for a guy who goes 6'5" and 358 pounds. Is a total bulldozer in the run game. In Chicago, Cannon could move to left guard, kicking Chris Williams back out to tackle where he belongs. With a guy his size on the interior line, the Bears might be able to establish a running game again. Failing that, he could take Garza's spot at RG, if the staff feels like Williams/Omiyale/Garza can get it done at LG. Cannon and Webb would make for a hell of a road-grading right side. Either way, he'd give the Bears a lot more power up front and some good positional flexibility.

3) Marvin Austin, DT, UNC - Similar to Tampa's Mike Williams, Austin is a 1st-round talent who looks primed to freefall after getting kicked off the team for unspecified violations of team rules. Comes with concerns about his maturity and character off the field, as well as his instincts and consistency on the field. That said, if he falls all the way to the top of the 3rd, the Bears need to make a move and get him. Athletes like Austin don't come around that often. He has unreal speed and agility for a 6'2" 310-pound man, and he's powerful enough to play over the nose (although he'd be more valuable as an under-tackle in Chicago.) Needs to work on his technique in several areas: he can play too high, his spin move isn't exactly Dwight-Freeney-esque, and he sometimes doesn't seem to know where the play is going. Moving from UNC's read-and-react defense to a one-gap penetrating scheme should help with his mental errors, and Marinelli can train him up on his technique. The bottom line: Lovie's Tampa-2 needs a pocket-collapsing interior push to go with the edge rush from Peppers. Austin can definitely provide that.

4) Marcus Gilchrist, DB, Clemson - Peanut has been an awesome corner for years now, but he's starting to wear down. He may have another good season left, but he'll be 30 when the draft rolls around. Time to start developing somebody behind him. Gilchrist offers average size (5'11" 190) with well-above-average speed and athleticism, having been timed as fast as 4.38 in the 40. He's racked up a ton of tackles for Clemson (which is essential in the Tampa-2,) but he can also man-cover, which is important when the Bears go to one of their Cover-1 blitzes. On top of that, he's versatile - he has played corner, nickel back, and free safety at Clemson, and he returns kicks too. His best fit is in the NFL is probably at corner, where the ridiculous bumper crop of 1st-2nd round prospects this year will push him down in the draft. In an ordinary year, he might be a high 3rd-round pick.

5) Lawrence Wilson, OLB, UConn - he's a little undersized for most defenses, but not for the Tampa-2. Plus, he's been a tackling machine on the weak side for Connecticut. At a minimum, should be a valuable special teamer. At best, could potentially develop into Lance Briggs' successor.

6) Zane Taylor, C, Utah - Kreutz isn't going to last forever, and there's no clear replacement waiting in the wings, now that Beekman's off the team. Edwin Williams has some experience at center, but he's been pretty underwhelming when he's been on the field. Taylor could develop into a starting-quality center with some tutelage from Kreutz and Mike Tice. At 6'2" 300 pounds, he's not much bigger than Kreutz, but he's a lot stronger than his frame would seem to indicate (41 bench reps, squats 565.) He's tough and plays through the whistle, and he's a smart guy, too.

7) Robert Hughes, FB/RB, Notre Dame - he goes 5'11 and 245 pounds, and rotates in at halfback when he's not playing fullback. He could give the Bears a real lead blocker to help Forte (who generally does MUCH better running behind a fullback) and should be able to solve their short-yardage problem to boot. Plus, he's a local Chicago kid.

Here are my picks:

Round 1: Gabe Carini, LT, Wisconsin Carini is a big balanced LT and will relieve us of the Williams experiment. He is 6'8 320lbs.

Round 2: Armon Binns, WR, Cinncinnati Bins is a playmaker with good hands and a big WR at 6'4 200. He will bulk up as well.

Round 3: Sam Acho, DE, Texas The Bears need more pressure on the QB and Acho brings that. 6'3 260. He had 8 sacks last year and 5 so far in '10.

Round 4: Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech Bears need help on the corners. Carmichael has hands and speed. Has 10 picks in the last two years. 4.38 40-time.

Round 5: Chris Stewart, OG, Notre Dame Big Guard to take over. 6'5 351...Hate to have to cook for him.

Round 6: Quentin Davie, OLB, Northwestern All around linebacker. 15 Sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 5 picks. Plus he doesn't have to move his stuff too far from Evanston.

Unfortunately we have no 7th round pick because we took Unga in the supplemental draft. However, I say we pick up a 7th rounder pick somewhere so...

Round 7: Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU I agree with Kruetz' age making this pick a necessity. 6'3 305...and if you've seen any TCU games, he can protect the QB.

Are your picks in order of round?

Yeah, they are. The Bears gave up their 7th to get Unga, but they got a 7th from St. Louis for Kevin Payne. I think it could have conditionally turned into a 6th, but then he got hurt.

Let me also add that we are way too short on OL bodies in that draft.

Yeah, I thought about that once it was all done...I originally had Ben Ijalana from Villanova in the 3rd, instead of Marvin Austin. But given the choice between looking for a FA guard and still having no inside pass rush, I think I'd go with the former. If Tommie or Melton or somebody can get the job done, that pick is another guard for sure. Likewise, if DJ Moore or Josh Moore is the long-term developmental CB they're looking for, then that pick in the 4th could easily be another o-lineman.

I have no clue on who to draft at this point but I have thoughts about what position to draft. Mostly I'm talking about rounds 1--4 where you tend need takes a higher emphasis than the later rounds.

I don't think we will be focused on DE at all. With each game Izzy gets better and better and I expect he'll be a good starter opposite of Peppers next year. I expect he'll be that in the second half of our season. I also think Melton has shown some very positive signs of improvement in his pass rush. This is a former RB turned DE turned DT so he's still learning but the arrow is pointing up and so is his productivity this season. If there is an elite 3-techique DT available in Rd 1 I can see the Bears drafting him.

Set at LB for another year then they get serious about replacing Urlacher. Iwuh appears to be a soild backup for Briggs and Pisa plays well at SLB but Roach is a solid backup.

I might get laughed off the stage but I also don't think we'll look at the safety position as a high need. If Wright comes back and shows he's the guy at FS during the second half of the season then we stay with him, Manning, and Harris as our top 3 and Steltz rounding out the group. Again, perhaps a late rounder to compete for the 5th spot.

On defense that leaves CB and this should be in our top needs, rounds 1-3.

On offense:

We are set at RB with Forte and Taylor.

QB: Set with Hanie likely the solid number 2 next year.

WR: I could see us grabbing someone in Rd 1 IF they were an elite game changer but I suspect they won't be there when we pick.

TE: Set

That leaves Oline: I say we grab the best OG in Rd 1 and grab a good C in Rd 2 or 3 as appropriate for the players draft status and use the alternate pick to get more depth at CB.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see something close to this:

1. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Can play either T position.

2. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida - Can play either G position. (I'd be happy with Cannon as well)

3. Sione Fua, DT, Stanford - Fast, nasty, strong. (I'd be happy with Marvin Austin as well)

4. Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia - First round talent, may fall because of injury concerns and a deep class. (Alternate, Shareece Wright, USC)

5. Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise State - Remember that Angelo said the following, "As we do every year, we'll look at the defensive line. We'll always be looking for pass-rushers, regardless of what our needs are."

6. Zane Taylor, C, Utah - I actually like this pick, at this spot, a lot.

7. Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan - Brad Maynard simply is not as good as he once was. Zoltan is huge, kicks huge, and has a cool name.

UGH. PLEASE STOP WITH THIS WR IN THE FIRST ROUND NONSENSE. That would be freaking horrendous. Ignorant. I can't tell you how stupid that would be.

Is there a reason that it would be ignorant and horrendous? What position do you think they should pick in round 1?

EDIT:

For what it's worth, I'd like to see something close to this:

1. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Can play either T position.

2. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida - Can play either G position. (I'd be happy with Cannon as well)

3. Sione Fua, DT, Stanford - Fast, nasty, strong. (I'd be happy with Marvin Austin as well)

4. Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia - First round talent, may fall because of injury concerns and a deep class. (Alternate, Shareece Wright, USC)

5. Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise State - Remember that Angelo said the following, "As we do every year, we'll look at the defensive line. We'll always be looking for pass-rushers, regardless of what our needs are."

6. Zane Taylor, C, Utah - I actually like this pick, at this spot, a lot.

7. Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan - Brad Maynard simply is not as good as he once was. Zoltan is huge, kicks huge, and has a cool name.

Before this season started, this is exactly the draft I would have wanted to see. But even when the protection has held up this year, there have been so many miscues between Cutler and the receivers...I think he just needs a go-to guy. Plus, I'm not really thrilled with the crop of tackles this year. It seems like there are knocks on all of them, with the possible exception of Derrick Sherrod, who'll probably be gone by the time the Bears pick.

Meanwhile, it's a once-in-a-decade draft for wideouts. If the Bears are sitting at #15 or #16 overall, I could see them having to pick between a top-10-caliber wideout and a 2nd-round-caliber tackle. I'd rather take the receiver, keep Omiyale as a band-aid for the time being, and try to get either Williams or Webb to play up to their potential. In any case, an upgrade at guard (especially if we could get Pouncey - that guy's a beast) would make a world of difference.

Also, I've gotten to watch a bunch of UVa games, and it would be awesome if the Bears got Dowling. I don't know if he'd fall all the way to the fourth, even with the unbelievable depth at CB this year, but it'd be sick to get him. I think some team that plays a lot of press-man is going to snap that kid up.

Is there a reason that it would be ignorant and horrendous? What position do you think they should pick in round 1?

EDIT:

Before this season started, this is exactly the draft I would have wanted to see. But even when the protection has held up this year, there have been so many miscues between Cutler and the receivers...I think he just needs a go-to guy. Plus, I'm not really thrilled with the crop of tackles this year. It seems like there are knocks on all of them, with the possible exception of Derrick Sherrod, who'll probably be gone by the time the Bears pick.

Meanwhile, it's a once-in-a-decade draft for wideouts. If the Bears are sitting at #15 or #16 overall, I could see them having to pick between a top-10-caliber wideout and a 2nd-round-caliber tackle. I'd rather take the receiver, keep Omiyale as a band-aid for the time being, and try to get either Williams or Webb to play up to their potential. In any case, an upgrade at guard (especially if we could get Pouncey - that guy's a beast) would make a world of difference.

Also, I've gotten to watch a bunch of UVa games, and it would be awesome if the Bears got Dowling. I don't know if he'd fall all the way to the fourth, even with the unbelievable depth at CB this year, but it'd be sick to get him. I think some team that plays a lot of press-man is going to snap that kid up.

Fair enough. I happen to live in Alabama, have watched Alabama, and have even seen some HS Jones games. From what I have seen/heard/read, from people who are as die hard Tide fans as we are Bears fans, Julio Jones is not the guy we would want. He may be big, and he may fight for the ball, but he has average hands, is not the brightest player, and needs to polish his route running. Aside from that, the Bears have Hester, Knox, Bennett, Aromashodu, etc. to groom - all have talent and can be wildly successful if they get a chance - before another WR is considered.

To address your concerns, I'll say this:

Imagine you're a boxer. Your first few fights you've been hit a couple of times and done fairly well. But suddenly you're in against a guy who is swinging from all angles, you are taking a pounding, and you don't see the punches coming. That is Jay Cutler right now. He's gun shy. Period. His mechanics have gotten worse as the season has progressed; his first instinct after the initial route breaks down is to tuck the ball and think about running. This is all a result of the fact that he has been absolutely destroyed by the worst OL in the NFL, and possibly the worst line in NFL history. I simply can't fathom Omiyale for one more year as a band-aid, because he opens up enough to need stitches. There is nearly nothing positive about Omiyale, and he very well may be the worst offensive lineman in the NFL. When he's not making bonehead false start penalties, he's opening like the Red Sea or getting tossed around like a $1 hooker. He's garbage. And THAT FREAKING GUY is protecting the team's bell-cow.

Fair enough. I happen to live in Alabama, have watched Alabama, and have even seen some HS Jones games. From what I have seen/heard/read, from people who are as die hard Tide fans as we are Bears fans, Julio Jones is not the guy we would want. He may be big, and he may fight for the ball, but he has average hands, is not the brightest player, and needs to polish his route running. Aside from that, the Bears have Hester, Knox, Bennett, Aromashodu, etc. to groom - all have talent and can be wildly successful if they get a chance - before another WR is considered.

I've heard some of the knocks on Jones, and you basically named them all. Kinda inconsistent hands, not the brightest guy, doesn't run the best routes. They're definitely concerns, but those are basically the same problems that people had with Brandon Marshall. I see Jones as Marshall without the laundry list of character issues. However, if AJ Green or Michael Floyd or Jon Baldwin are around when the Bears pick, I could see going with one of them instead of Jones.

To address your concerns, I'll say this:

Imagine you're a boxer. Your first few fights you've been hit a couple of times and done fairly well. But suddenly you're in against a guy who is swinging from all angles, you are taking a pounding, and you don't see the punches coming. That is Jay Cutler right now. He's gun shy. Period. His mechanics have gotten worse as the season has progressed; his first instinct after the initial route breaks down is to tuck the ball and think about running. This is all a result of the fact that he has been absolutely destroyed by the worst OL in the NFL, and possibly the worst line in NFL history.

Oh dude, I totally agree. In a lot of games, Cutler absolutely looked like a quarterback who's staring at the rush, not looking downfield. He's anticipating getting hit, because he usually will. But I think a LOT of that has to do with Martz's offense. He wasn't sacked NEARLY this much last season, behind a line that was at least as bad as the one we've got now. Omiyale is not good, but Pace was the worst left tackle I've ever seen. And Cutler only took 35 sacks all last season, compared to 28 sacks through 7 games this year.

I think the difference is movement. Turner, for all his faults, let Cutler roll out of the pocket and escape the rush. Martz keeps him in the pocket WAY too much. And, surprise surprise, when Martz remembers that bootlegs exist (like in the Dallas and Buffalo games,) Cutler does way better. Cutler's really mobile, and just from watching him, you can tell that he's more comfortable when he knows he can get away. Look at the game against Buffalo. It's not just that he didn't get sacked as much: you could see that he wasn't feeling the pressure or making bad decisions.

I think if you let Cutler buy time with his feet and give him a go-to WR, he's not going to get rattled by the rush as much. If you add in some checkdowns to Olsen and Forte, so much the better. If we could get all that in place, there's only so much harm Omiyale could do. Sure, the guy's mediocre on his best day, but it'd be possible to live with him for another year, while we wait for a draft with some better tackles in it. And who knows, maybe Webb or Williams will actually develop under Tice, and we can just replace Omiyale with them.

Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida is a joke. The guy cant even snap in shotgun. The worst center in the SEC by far.

Also you guys are silly with your first 2 picks. You guys know J.A will trade the 1st 2 rounds picks away for probably Mark Anderson.

Um....you do realize the oddity in that post, don't you?

That Julio Jones, WR, Alabama is a joke. The guy can't even come up and make the tackle.

Pouncey is an OG who will plow the opponent. I don't care if he happens to have a secondary skill that allows him to slide over to C.

But you're probably right on the last thing. Angelo will probably trade away the picks.

Oh dude, I totally agree. In a lot of games, Cutler absolutely looked like a quarterback who's staring at the rush, not looking downfield. He's anticipating getting hit, because he usually will. But I think a LOT of that has to do with Martz's offense. He wasn't sacked NEARLY this much last season, behind a line that was at least as bad as the one we've got now. Omiyale is not good, but Pace was the worst left tackle I've ever seen. And Cutler only took 35 sacks all last season, compared to 28 sacks through 7 games this year.

I think the difference is movement. Turner, for all his faults, let Cutler roll out of the pocket and escape the rush. Martz keeps him in the pocket WAY too much. And, surprise surprise, when Martz remembers that bootlegs exist (like in the Dallas and Buffalo games,) Cutler does way better. Cutler's really mobile, and just from watching him, you can tell that he's more comfortable when he knows he can get away. Look at the game against Buffalo. It's not just that he didn't get sacked as much: you could see that he wasn't feeling the pressure or making bad decisions.

I think if you let Cutler buy time with his feet and give him a go-to WR, he's not going to get rattled by the rush as much. If you add in some checkdowns to Olsen and Forte, so much the better. If we could get all that in place, there's only so much harm Omiyale could do. Sure, the guy's mediocre on his best day, but it'd be possible to live with him for another year, while we wait for a draft with some better tackles in it. And who knows, maybe Webb or Williams will actually develop under Tice, and we can just replace Omiyale with them.

There isn't one thing in this entire post that says, "Bears need a new go-to WR." Now, it may say the Bears need a new OC, several new OLinemen, a new HC, or maybe even a therapist for Cutler, but none of that says "draft a WR in Rd. 1."

There isn't one thing in this entire post that says, "Bears need a new go-to WR." Now, it may say the Bears need a new OC, several new OLinemen, a new HC, or maybe even a therapist for Cutler, but none of that says "draft a WR in Rd. 1."

We need o-line because if cutler doesn't have time, he can't get the ball to the go-to-guy. Right on Jason.

We need o-line because if cutler doesn't have time, he can't get the ball to the go-to-guy. Right on Jason.

I mean, it seems like common sense to me. Wanna know why Cleveland is suddenly looking good, and Peyton Friggin Hillis looks like a stud?

Joe Thomas - 1st round

Eric Steinbach - 2nd round

Alex Mack - 1st round

Floyd Womack - Originally drafted 4th round, solild veteran

John St. Claire - Remember him? Originally drafted 3rd round, solid veteran

And I bet if the stats are out there, the Browns run towards the Thomas/Steinbach side more than they do the other side.

Um....you do realize the oddity in that post, don't you?

That Julio Jones, WR, Alabama is a joke. The guy can't even come up and make the tackle.

Pouncey is an OG who will plow the opponent. I don't care if he happens to have a secondary skill that allows him to slide over to C.

But you're probably right on the last thing. Angelo will probably trade away the picks.

You're confusing him with his brother. Reason one left early and other stayed behind in college. He was moved to defense cause he was a liability as o lineman. He couldn't even hack it on the dine so they moved him to o again. He's still stinking it up...so go ahead and revise your draft again. He is in no way worthy of draft pick. You want a lineman, go look at rodney hudsun from fsu. He's been practicing center at practice since he knows that will be his position in the pros.

You're confusing him with his brother. Reason one left early and other stayed behind in college. He was moved to defense cause he was a liability as o lineman. He couldn't even hack it on the dine so they moved him to o again. He's still stinking it up...so go ahead and revise your draft again. He is in no way worthy of draft pick. You want a lineman, go look at rodney hudsun from fsu. He's been practicing center at practice since he knows that will be his position in the pros.

Um...Are you sure you're not confused?

His brother, Maurkice, was a first round draft pick last year. This year, Maurice, is a highly regarded OL prospect, and some consider him one of the best, if not THE best, Center prospect in the draft. I happen to think he was better at OG. The reason he moved to DL was because a bunch of guys got injured, not because he sucked. Dude is a beast, and will be good or great in the pros at either OG or C.

Julio Jones has all the talent in the world, however, he drops way too many passes and is way too inconsistent.

---Sign Logan Mankins (5 years, $38m) in the offseason.

---Trade Tommie Harris and a 4th round pick to San Diego for their 2nd round pick (pay half of Tommie's salary).

1. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU

2. Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami

2. Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh

3. Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

5. Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina

6. Ryan Pugh, C, Auburn

7. Antoine Carter, DE, Auburn

I wasn't trying to offer that as support for the argument that the Bears need a first-round receiver. I was trying to say that there are ways to help Cutler out without getting a new left tackle. I still want Omiyale replaced, I'm just arguing that there are ways to get better protection for Cutler even with Omiyale in the lineup. If they can fix the scheme so Cutler isn't getting massacred, then I want to wait on drafting a tackle until a great left tackle comes along.

My argument for a first-round receiver is this: it's a position of need, along with tackle, and the top 5 receivers are WAY better than the top 5 tackles this year. There are a bunch of potential franchise receivers available this year, and I don't see a single franchise left tackle like Jake Long or Joe Thomas in this draft. Almost all the tackle prospects this year have knocks on them: they're either finesse guys like Chris Williams, raw athletes with bad technique, or too slow to stay at LT in the pros. My whole point is that I don't want to reach for one of those guys in the 1st. I'd rather take the blue-chip receiver, spend one season muddling along with Omiyale and making some schematic adjustments to help Cutler out, then draft a franchise left tackle next year. What are the odds that next year's draft has a receiver group this good, or a tackle group this bad?