Midseason Draft thread

defiantgiant

I wasn't trying to offer that as support for the argument that the Bears need a first-round receiver. I was trying to say that there are ways to help Cutler out without getting a new left tackle. I still want Omiyale replaced, I'm just arguing that there are ways to get better protection for Cutler even with Omiyale in the lineup. If they can fix the scheme so Cutler isn't getting massacred, then I want to wait on drafting a tackle until a great left tackle comes along.

My argument for a first-round receiver is this: it's a position of need, along with tackle, and the top 5 receivers are WAY better than the top 5 tackles this year. There are a bunch of potential franchise receivers available this year, and I don't see a single franchise left tackle like Jake Long or Joe Thomas in this draft. Almost all the tackle prospects this year have knocks on them: they're either finesse guys like Chris Williams, raw athletes with bad technique, or too slow to stay at LT in the pros. My whole point is that I don't want to reach for one of those guys in the 1st. I'd rather take the blue-chip receiver, spend one season muddling along with Omiyale and making some schematic adjustments to help Cutler out, then draft a franchise left tackle next year. What are the odds that next year's draft has a receiver group this good, or a tackle group this bad?

I agree. At the start, all I wanted was offensive linemen, and I think we all know how bad the Bears current OL is. However, this draft class is not very good. Anthony Castonzo, who many have going in the 20's, would be a mid-2nd in any other OT draft, and for that, I don't want the organization to take him just because the OL sucks. We can sign a 32-34 year old as a 1 or 2 year stopgap, then. But with guys like Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Michael Floyd all good WR's, I wouldn't care so much if they decided on a 1st round WR.

I agree. At the start, all I wanted was offensive linemen, and I think we all know how bad the Bears current OL is. However, this draft class is not very good. Anthony Castonzo, who many have going in the 20's, would be a mid-2nd in any other OT draft, and for that, I don't want the organization to take him just because the OL sucks. We can sign a 32-34 year old as a 1 or 2 year stopgap, then. But with guys like Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, AJ Green, and Michael Floyd all good WR's, I wouldn't care so much if they decided on a 1st round WR.

Yeah, I totally agree. Also, I especially wouldn't want Castonzo in Round 1. BC's got a great track record for o-linemen, but the knocks on Castonzo remind me too much of Chris Williams - finesse left tackle, not enough power for drive-blocking, vulnerable to the bull rush, etc. If we're looking for a guy like that, I'd rather give Williams another shot at LT and spend the pick getting help on the interior o-line, since it's pretty obvious that Williams isn't cut out to play guard.

Granted, Castonzo's fairly tall and he's lean for his frame, which makes it look like he could add some weight and strength in the pros, but I'd rather not gamble on that in the 1st round. If Castonzo fell into the 2nd and the coaching staff has totally lost faith in Williams, then I guess I wouldn't hate the pick. But I'd rather get a blue-chip guard like Mike Pouncey at that spot than take a tackle with some question marks like Castonzo.

Guest TerraTor
For what it's worth, I'd like to see something close to this:

1. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Can play either T position.

2. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida - Can play either G position. (I'd be happy with Cannon as well)

3. Sione Fua, DT, Stanford - Fast, nasty, strong. (I'd be happy with Marvin Austin as well)

4. Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia - First round talent, may fall because of injury concerns and a deep class. (Alternate, Shareece Wright, USC)

5. Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise State - Remember that Angelo said the following, "As we do every year, we'll look at the defensive line. We'll always be looking for pass-rushers, regardless of what our needs are."

6. Zane Taylor, C, Utah - I actually like this pick, at this spot, a lot.

7. Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan - Brad Maynard simply is not as good as he once was. Zoltan is huge, kicks huge, and has a cool name.

Love that DRAFT

I can say that if the Bears pick a first round WR, I'll be absolutely sick to my stomach. I still can't fathom it, and I can't believe any of you guys actually think it would be a good idea.

The only OT worth a 1st round grade is Joseph Barksdale and even he is only worth a late 1st. I do not want them to take some 2nd round guy in the middle of the 1st just because he's the best OT available. Even Pouncey might fall to the 2nd. If Castonzo is there along with a better DE, DT, or WR, I'd take the DE, DT, or WR.

I can say that if the Bears pick a first round WR, I'll be absolutely sick to my stomach. I still can't fathom it, and I can't believe any of you guys actually think it would be a good idea.

I just want the Bears to get the best player they can at one of the three or four positions where they need to improve: in my mind that's OL, WR, DT, CB. I'd be mad if they picked a tight end or a linebacker or something, but if Patrick Peterson fell to the Bears' spot, I'd be OK with picking him even though corner isn't the biggest need on the list.

Like BrianBear said, I don't want to reach for some mediocre tackle over a great WR. If both positions are needs, I'd always rather have a great prospect over a so-so player. On the other hand, if the best left tackle on the board when the Bears pick is at least as good as the best receiver, then I say get the tackle. But this year, I'm not sure that's likely to happen. The way the draft is shaping up, there are going to be a handful of great receiver prospects and a bunch of mediocre tackles.

I just want the Bears to get the best player they can at one of the three or four positions where they need to improve: in my mind that's OL, WR, DT, CB. I'd be mad if they picked a tight end or a linebacker or something, but if Patrick Peterson fell to the Bears' spot, I'd be OK with picking him even though corner isn't the biggest need on the list.

Like BrianBear said, I don't want to reach for some mediocre tackle over a great WR. If both positions are needs, I'd always rather have a great prospect over a so-so player. On the other hand, if the best left tackle on the board when the Bears pick is at least as good as the best receiver, then I say get the tackle. But this year, I'm not sure that's likely to happen. The way the draft is shaping up, there are going to be a handful of great receiver prospects and a bunch of mediocre tackles.

I completely agree with your post and I think you hit the key positions right in the head. Surprising that safety isnt' on the list but I like what Manning has done this season (sans his PI this past week) and Wright has shown some promise in his limited action. Chris Harris isn't great but he's solid and has made some nice plays.

When it comes to our corners, we could always use more, but you got to love the way we have found a new nickel back (Moore), but it is about time we start to look for a replacement for Charles Tillman. Plus if Bowman isn't going to eventually step up and play like the Bears have felt he can (once he's healthy) than we will need someone cause Tim Jennings isn't a legit starter.

I'd probably put our needs in order as: OT, DT, WR, CB. DT/WR/CB are all very close to each other because we lack an elite player at any of those spots.

I completely agree with your post and I think you hit the key positions right in the head. Surprising that safety isnt' on the list but I like what Manning has done this season (sans his PI this past week) and Wright has shown some promise in his limited action. Chris Harris isn't great but he's solid and has made some nice plays.

Yeah, my feelings exactly. It's really surprising, but the Bears have gotten decent play out of the safety spot. Manning appears to know what he's doing, which is a shock. Harris doesn't have the range he used to, but he's far from a disaster while Wright works on taking his starting spot.

When it comes to our corners, we could always use more, but you got to love the way we have found a new nickel back (Moore), but it is about time we start to look for a replacement for Charles Tillman. Plus if Bowman isn't going to eventually step up and play like the Bears have felt he can (once he's healthy) than we will need someone cause Tim Jennings isn't a legit starter.

I'd probably put our needs in order as: OT, DT, WR, CB. DT/WR/CB are all very close to each other because we lack an elite player at any of those spots.

Tillman is most of the reason why I think we could use a CB. Tillman is one of my favorite players, but he's on the decline and we don't have a good candidate to replace him as the #1 corner. On his best day, Jennings is serviceable as a #2, but that's about it. Bowman's injuries are a huge concern. Moore is a great nickel and should stay there. I've always liked Graham, but the coaching staff clearly thinks he belongs in a special teams/backup role. It's not nearly as big a need as OT or WR in my mind, but at some point in the next year or two we're going to need to find a replacement for Peanut.