Speaking of possible ends....

Alaskan Grizzly

Heard a small blurb on the NBC pregame tonight about Fitzgerald possibly being done in Arizona after the season. I know Angelo tried for Boldin but maybe...just maybe???? Unfortunately it appears at this point to be mostly rumor and the below link (although outdated) thinks Minnesota makes the most sense :shakehead but I am ever the optimist.

http://panthersinthepros.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/149/

Heard a small blurb on the NBC pregame tonight about Fitzgerald possibly being done in Arizona after the season. I know Angelo tried for Boldin but maybe...just maybe???? Unfortunately it appears at this point to be mostly rumor and the below link (although outdated) thinks Minnesota makes the most sense :shakehead but I am ever the optimist.

http://panthersinthepros.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/149/

Minnesota won't make sense for any veterans after this season. Not only will Favre be gone and Jackson be taking over, but they'll have a new coach and they'll be coming off an epic collapse/quitting on a season. Plus, management gambled a ton of money and picks and such on this season (3rd rounder for Randy Moss) to try to get over the hump, and they're probably somewhat overextended from that.

Everyone else has said what I would have, but I'd like to add that the Cardinals have glaring holes everywhere on the team. Maybe they'd take a poo-poo platter deal? That's what I call the fantasy football deal when you send something like the following:

Shaun Hill - QB

Chester Taylor - RB

Michael Crabtree - WR

FOR

Peyton Manning - QB

Maybe the Bears could package the poo-poo platter? Tommie Harris, one of the TEs, and Roberto Garza's rotting corpse for Fitz? I know it's unrealistic, but it might be worth a shot. Giving up a high draft pick, however, is out of the question.

I would do whatever I could, even if it meant a 1st. He is arguably the best WR in football. Greg Olsen OR Earl Bennett AND Tommie Harris and a 2nd for Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald-Knox-Hester-Aromashodu-Davis

Fitzgerald-Bennett-Knox-Hester-Aromashodu

There is no OL-man worth a 1st round pick anyway (which is beside the point since I have them sending a 2nd) besides Barksdale and Pouncey and they'll both likely be there in the 2nd. Take Barksdale in round 1 and sign Logan Mankins.

Omiyale-Mankins-Kreutz-Garza/Williams-Barksdale isn't a bad starting point for an OL. If that OL falters, look for a true LT in the 1st in 2012 and a new C in round 4 in 2011 or 2012.

It's an interesting thought if Arizona really wanted to deal him, but I'm sure they'd be asking for more compensation than Chicago could afford to part with. If they wouldn't take a 2nd for a 28-year-old Boldin, I shudder to think what they'd want for a 27-year-old Fitz. My guess is at LEAST a 1st and a 2nd, and there's no way Chicago could afford to give that up. It's a shame, because Fitzgerald is exactly the receiver I'd want for Cutler - if anybody could bail Jay out on those throws into coverage, it's him.

The other problem is that any team that trades for him would be picking up his contract - Fitz signed a 4-year, $40 million deal back in 2008, and I'm sure he's hit some escalators in his contract already. I don't know all the specifics, but that contract has some ridiculous stuff in it: for example, if his team gives him the franchise tag, they have to pay him $23 million for that one season.

Given the picks Angelo spent on Cutler and the cash he spent on Peppers and company, I'm not sure the Bears could afford Fitz either way you cut it.

It's an interesting thought if Arizona really wanted to deal him, but I'm sure they'd be asking for more compensation than Chicago could afford to part with. If they wouldn't take a 2nd for a 28-year-old Boldin, I shudder to think what they'd want for a 27-year-old Fitz. My guess is at LEAST a 1st and a 2nd, and there's no way Chicago could afford to give that up. It's a shame, because Fitzgerald is exactly the receiver I'd want for Cutler - if anybody could bail Jay out on those throws into coverage, it's him.

The other problem is that any team that trades for him would be picking up his contract - Fitz signed a 4-year, $40 million deal back in 2008, and I'm sure he's hit some escalators in his contract already. I don't know all the specifics, but that contract has some ridiculous stuff in it: for example, if his team gives him the franchise tag, they have to pay him $23 million for that one season.

Given the picks Angelo spent on Cutler and the cash he spent on Peppers and company, I'm not sure the Bears could afford Fitz either way you cut it.

The Bears are not hurting for money by any stretch of the imagination. If they want Fitzgerald, they can have him. If it meant cutting Taylor, T. Harris, and Manumaleuna after the year (which will probably happen anyways), they can have him.

They're in a tough spot here. If they deal Knox, they have no fast WR outside of Hester who will probably be almost fulltime KR/PR next year. If they deal Bennett, Cutler's pissed and they trade their best possession WR already. Also, trading Olsen may tick Cutler off as well. I would ask Cutler if he'd be in favor of Fitz, and he'll (hopefully) say yes. At that point, he'll have to make a decision to make on which buddy to have to watch leave.

Guys I would trade:

Chris Williams (sucks, but Arizona is rebuilding, might need a change of scenery)

Roberto Garza (mediocre guard but Arizona could take a flier)

Greg Olsen (I don't think he'll ever reach his full potential)

Caleb Hanie (Arizona doesn't have a QB for the future it seems and they might want Hanie back)

And yes, I WOULD trade the 1st round pick for 2011. Who else will Angelo honestly draft that will turn out to be a better player than Fitzgerald? Castonzo is similar to Williams was when he was coming out. Sign Mankins, draft a RT in the 2nd, and a C in round 4 or 5. Instant upgrades on the OL.

I'd love to have Fitzgerald but I'm just not keen on selling the farm to get him. We did that getting Cutler with all the picks we sent to Denver. We ALL have bitched about the draft and the things Angelo has done. If we can package Harris/Williams and maybe a 2nd round, I'd be fine with that. We can always trade down in the 1st round to get a replacement 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year. Since the OL pickings in the draft are fairly slim, we can get the best available lineman, and sign Mankins. This way we'll have two 1st round picks next year and can start reloading instead of rebuilding.

Agreed...

He's possibly the best WR in the biz...and whatever team that gets him will pay handsomely. I'm not sure we can afford it. We have too much need on the OL. I'd still like a good vet WR...but I fear we'd have to give up too much for Fitz.

I'd love to have Fitzgerald but I'm just not keen on selling the farm to get him. We did that getting Cutler with all the picks we sent to Denver. We ALL have bitched about the draft and the things Angelo has done. If we can package Harris/Williams and maybe a 2nd round, I'd be fine with that. We can always trade down in the 1st round to get a replacement 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year. Since the OL pickings in the draft are fairly slim, we can get the best available lineman, and sign Mankins. This way we'll have two 1st round picks next year and can start reloading instead of rebuilding.

Total BS. Fitz isn't going anywhere. The Cards have already reworked his contract twice for him and that last contract resulted in Boldin leaving town. Why would he be upset with Whisenhunt who got the Cards to the Superbowl? It's ridiculous conjecture. Now if in two or three years there is no progress on the QB situation I can see this but not now.

Total BS. Fitz isn't going anywhere. The Cards have already reworked his contract twice for him and that last contract resulted in Boldin leaving town. Why would he be upset with Whisenhunt who got the Cards to the Superbowl? It's ridiculous conjecture. Now if in two or three years there is no progress on the QB situation I can see this but not now.

Well first off, I did point out the link was outdated and I added that last night during pre-game Bob Costas was heard plugging a new NBC Sports app where you could read about the possibility of Fitz leaving Arizona. It's true The Whiz did get AZ to the Super Bowl and MuCH has changed since then, notably the QB situation and Boldins departure. The QB situation being the most tenuous because of the uncertainty and instability. There is no defined or future starter that stands out. Fitz is fast approaching 30 and has to be thinking about how many more chances does he have where he is currently.

And regardless of past performances, who here was (and in some cases still) ready to let Lovie walk despite going to the SB just 4 years ago?

Lastly and in regards to re-worked contracts: what say you about the fact that despite MCNabb just signing a néw 5 year deal with Wash he could still be let go by seasons end? That really doesn't mean much. Especially with the money situation with this and next year.

I'm just sayin'.

Apparently Fitz's contract contains a no-trade clause that he'd have to waive before the team could deal him. A no-trade clause is a thing the player's camp bargains for, as opposed to the team - my guess is that Fitz wants to stay put, unless he's had a major change of heart since they worked out his current deal. And apparently the Cardinals are intent on keeping him, too. I'd guess he stays out in Arizona.

Apparently Fitz's contract contains a no-trade clause that he'd have to waive before the team could deal him. A no-trade clause is a thing the player's camp bargains for, as opposed to the team - my guess is that Fitz wants to stay put, unless he's had a major change of heart since they worked out his current deal. And apparently the Cardinals are intent on keeping him, too. I'd guess he stays out in Arizona.

If there's a serious labor issue this year, following a down season, followed by perhaps another season of indifference...I could see that being enough for him to call it quits. He could be 4+ years removed from the super bowl before you know it.