Starting to get nervous with all these teams 7-3

Bears4Ever_34

Looking at all these NFC teams hovering around 7-3 is making me nervous, thinking that if we don't win our division, we have a good chance of missing the playoffs entirely. I hope this doesn't end up like the Patriots a few years ago when they went 11-5 and missed the playoffs. The Packers are looking invincible now, even with their injuries, that makes the final game of the season probably the determining factor on who makes the playoffs and who stays home. This makes the Eagles game a MUST win, and beating one of the Jets, Patriots, or Packers is a MUST as well. If we don't go atleast 4-2 in our last 6 games, we might be in trouble. Even then, I think the Packers probably end up 11-5 or 12-4 as well which is also why its important to hold the tiebreaker against them. What's your take?

Taking a look at each contending teams schedule.. RECORDS UPDATED: 12/28/10/ Color Code: Green = Win, Red = Loss

Bears (11-4): Eagles, @ Lions, Patriots, @ Vikings, Jets, @ Packers

Packers (9-6): @ Falcons, 49ers, @ Lions, Patriots, Giants, Bears

Falcons (12-3): Packers, @ Bucs, @ Panthers, @ Seahawks, Saints, Panthers

Saints (11-4): @ Cowboys, @ Bengals, Rams, @ Ravens, @ Falcons, Bucs

Giants (9-6): Jags, Redskins, @ Vikings, Eagles, @ Packers, @ Redskins

Eagles (10-5): @ Bears, Texans, @ Cowboys, @ Giants, Vikings, Cowboys

Bucs (9-6): @ Ravens, Falcons, @ Redskins, Lions, Seahawks, @ Saints

Beating Philly would start us off real nice because we still have two games left with Minny and Detroit but like I said, assuming we can take care of business on those two games we might still have to beat one, if not two of the Jets, Pats, and Packers. If we keep playing the way we have been we could end up 12-4 or 11-5.

The Packers have most of their big games at home so that sucks for us because it's tough to win in Lambeau. I think the Falcons can beat them and hopefully the Pack can lose both games to the Pats and Giants before we play them. I still see them finishing 12-4 or 11-5 and that last game will determine the division winner.

I think the Falcons pretty much won their division and they have a relatively easy schedule the rest of the way through after the Pack, if they beat the Bucs in their final meeting that would pretty much seal it for them I think. They get to play the Panthers twice and the Seahawks so those should all be W's. They'll finish around 13-3 or 12-4.

How the Saints are 7-3 I have no idea. But it is what it is. They have a few tough games left and they can't look past the Cowboys who have been playing well as of late. I don't think they can beat the Falcons, or the Ravens so their final game against the Bucs could be huge if they want to make the playoffs. I can see them finishing 11-5 or 10-6.

The Giants are a notoriously slow finishing team. They always get off to hot starts and then slowly fade away through winter. But seeing how they hold the tiebreaker against us, it's important for them to keep losing. They have some really tough games left to go and they have the lowest record among the NFC contenders. I could see them ending up 10-6 or 9-7.

As I alluded to before, the Eagles game for the Bears is huge. If we win that, the Eagles still have some tough games left with the Giants and two more against the Cowboys which they could end up losing atleast one of those. I see the Eagles finishing 11-5 or 10-6.

The Bucs are also one of those "Roll your eyes" teams that are surprisingly in contention. The NFC South is likely to have atleast one wildcard come out of it with 3 contending teams. The Bucs have the Ravens, Falcons, and Saints left as their only real challenging opponents. If they have a hiccup against the Seahawks though, that would most likely take them out of it because I don't believe the Bucs are for real. At the end of the day I see the Bucs finishing at 10-6 or 9-7.

Well to borrow an analogy, all that can be done is play one game at a time. One correction was that you noted you hoped the Pack would lose to both the Giants and Pats before the Bears played them. Unfortunatley the Bears have already lost to the Giants...can you say ouch? I know Cutler did.

Next, I actually watched last nights game (Eagles / Giants) with some encouragement. Although I was hoping the G-men would shut down Vick more I think the Bears are as capable, if not more, of doing just that. The rush will be there (although I give a slight edge to the Giants front line) where the difference is the Bears' linebacking core. Ive said it before that hands down they are the best unit in all the NFL right now. My former concern of the secondary has been tempered by the overall improvement there but specifically D. manning and the x-factor of Wright (if he can stay healthy). Tillman's coverage ability is dwindling (and that could become a problem) but he is still amiable contributer especially in causing turnovers. Jennings seems to be having issues too at his side but I think Safety help will be there to patch the hole. I like Jennings alot, just think he might be too small to cover big receivers. That and he appears to make more bad reads than good. Maybe Lovie will take him under his wing like he has done with others.

The offensive side is going to totally depend on Jay. Will the good or the bad one show? I'm not sure anymore that Forte is able to get close to 100 yd games consistently, which is needed especially this late in the year. Martz' playcalling has bucked his own trend of passing first and passing often and God knows he's trying to give Forte a chance...it just doesn't seem to be happening. In fact I am really encouraged that Martz, save the Giants game, has adapted the scheme during each game to get the best result he thinks can be made. That and the improved play of the line has helped considerably. Webb will prove to be the important link in this group, especially this Sunday. Will he looks like he is standing in cement or will he get the stance and defelction he needs for the outside rush you know is coming? Time will tell.

As far ad ST goes, Hester will break the return TD record this year....mark my words. And unless the opposition punts out of bounds each time he will get the Bears great field position.. Either way.

Ultimately I am positive in the growth of the team. While others like Minn, Dallas, Hou and SF are disintegrating i see Chicago positioning itself just right and at the right time.

I believe 10 wins gets you a playoff spot this year.

I see the Bears going at worst 9-7 and at best 11-5. So 10-6 seems reasonable. If they take care of business vs Minnesota and Detroit, then all they have to do is win 1 game against (PHI, NE, NYJ, and GB), and if they can't do that, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.

The Packers are actually playing at New England, so that is a loss. If the Falcons beat them this week, the Division and possibly the WC will come down to Week 17 in GB for both us and the Packers. 10 or 11 wins.

If the Falcons beat the Pack, I can see them going 13-3 with the only other tough game against NO. They are basically a lock unless they implode.

The Saints are kind of shaky and they have 4 road games left. I can see them going 10-6.

The loss to the Eagles was tough for the Giants and at 6-4 they are behind the power curve. They lost Smith (WR) and now lost Nicks (WR) for a couple of weeks. I see them finishing at 9-7 at best and missing the playoffs.

The Eagles are playing great with Vick, they are a completely different team with him as the QB. I see them going 11-5 or 12-4.

The Bus have a rough stretch coming up and will probably be out of the hunt after the next two weeks at 7-5. I figure they will end up at 9-7.

1. Atlanta 13-3

2. Philly 12-4

3. GB/CHI 11-5 (whoever wins Week 17)

4. NFC West Division winner 8-8

5. NO 10-6

6. CHI/GB 10-6 (whoever loses Week 17)

TB 9-7

NYG 9-7

Bears (7-3): Eagles, @ Lions, Patriots, @ Vikings, Jets, @ Packers

I say the following happens based on remaining schedule:

Packers 11-5 (lose 2/4 to Falcons, Pats, Giants, Bears)

Falcons 12-4 (lose 2/3 to Packers, Bucs, Saints)

Saints 11-5 (lose 2/3 to Ravens, Falcons, Bucs)

Bucs 10-6 (lose 3/4 to Ravens, Falcons, Redskins, Saints)

Eagles 12-4 (lose 1/2 to Bears, Giants)

Giants 9-7 (lose 3/4 to Jags, Eagles, Packers, Redskins)

That puts the Bears in the position of requiring 3 wins to make it into the playoffs.

Eagles - 50/50 game

Lions - win

Pats - loss

Vikings - win

Jets - 50/50 game

Packers - Deciding game

I think the Bears' playoff chances ride on the last game of the season.

Guest TerraTor

Being realistic, I have a hard time seeing us winning a playoff game. Even With how great the D is playing in spite of ineptitude of the offense, eventually teams will take advantage of our 3 and outs.

I think next season however could be great. Revamping the Oline and Interior Dline

To answer the original question, I agree with RME. All they have to do is beat 2 bad teams (MIN, DET) and win 1 against GB, NE, NYJ, and PHI, and I think they'll win atleast 1 of those. BTW- if the season ended now, they Bears would open up at home vs New Orleans.

The Bears might be a bad offensive team. The OL sucks. They have too many 3 and outs. Their QB is erratic. They're playing teams with injuries. The teams their beating aren't any good. They should've lost to Detroit week 1. Dallas sucks. Green Bay had 17 penalties.

Right?

But if you get in the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen. No one had the Giants in the Super Bowl yet alone beating the 18-0 Patriots. For another sports' comparison, tell that to the Cardinals of 2006. Didn't they finish with 84 or 85 wins and win it all?

To answer the original question, I agree with RME. All they have to do is beat 2 bad teams (MIN, DET) and win 1 against GB, NE, NYJ, and PHI, and I think they'll win atleast 1 of those. BTW- if the season ended now, they Bears would open up at home vs New Orleans.

The Bears might be a bad offensive team. The OL sucks. They have too many 3 and outs. Their QB is erratic. They're playing teams with injuries. The teams their beating aren't any good. They should've lost to Detroit week 1. Dallas sucks. Green Bay had 17 penalties.

Right?

But if you get in the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen. No one had the Giants in the Super Bowl yet alone beating the 18-0 Patriots. For another sports' comparison, tell that to the Cardinals of 2006. Didn't they finish with 84 or 85 wins and win it all?

Just beat the Eagles and this tteam will get alot more respect.

I agree as well, we are 7-3 and it could be argued that we should be much worse record wise and also argued that we should have a couple more wins. We haven't gotten respect other than our Defense because of who our wins came against and how we played in those games barely beating bad teams or loosing games that we should have won nearly losing games we should have won easily. We can argue till we're blue in the face or our fingers fall off lol but we are where we are at 7-3. By hook or crook the Bears have put themselves in a position where they can make a legit playoff push 10 games into the season. I didn't think this was possible at the start of the year honestly I wasn't sure what to expect. We've seen good, bad, and ugly out of our beloved. But what matters is what is happening now and what we do going forward. As with any sport you want your team to be getting i'ts groove on for that final push. If the Bears indeed are coming together and things are clicking this is the ideal time for that to be happening you want to be playing your best ball at the end of the season if that's the case for the Bears then at 7-3 they are in a position for that to pay off. Right now they just need to focus on beating Philly any way they can. Do that and some respect will come our way and at 8-3 we would have to stumble bad not to finish 10-6 or better. In a way the Bears are in position to control their own destiny.

As mentioned earlier once in the Playoffs all bets are off, we could get knocked out of the first round or make an improbable run. Either is possible. Just take it one game at a time.

Records have been updated ^^. I think I'm just going to keep this going the rest of the season so people can quickly take a look at how the playoffs are setting up.

With that said, we caught a big break by the Packers losing. We took care of our business and are now 2 games ahead of Green Bay. The Bucs losing is big as is the Eagles who we now hold the tiebreaker against. The only thing better would have been seeing the Saints and Giants lose to really give us an edge. So now there are 5 games left on the season and the Bears go to Detroit next week. We can't get ahead of ourselves and take this team lightly. They are playing decent football but just aren't winning. We need to go out and make a statement early like today and take care of business. The Bucs are really the only team I see next week that has a tough game on the schedule. The Falcons look like they will probably go 14-2 or 13-3 with the easiest schedule left between all of the contending teams.

Thanks for keeping it updated!

Records have been updated ^^. I think I'm just going to keep this going the rest of the season so people can quickly take a look at how the playoffs are setting up.

With that said, we caught a big break by the Packers losing. We took care of our business and are now 2 games ahead of Green Bay. The Bucs losing is big as is the Eagles who we now hold the tiebreaker against. The only thing better would have been seeing the Saints and Giants lose to really give us an edge. So now there are 5 games left on the season and the Bears go to Detroit next week. We can't get ahead of ourselves and take this team lightly. They are playing decent football but just aren't winning. We need to go out and make a statement early like today and take care of business. The Bucs are really the only team I see next week that has a tough game on the schedule. The Falcons look like they will probably go 14-2 or 13-3 with the easiest schedule left between all of the contending teams.

Standings have been updated. Falcons pull off a lucky win against Tampa Bay in the 4th to go to 10-2. To me, the more I watch Atlanta the more I hope the Bears play them because I don't think they are that good. There defense is pretty horrid and if you stop there running game Matt Ryan is not Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, or Tom Brady. Not scared of them at all.

So it's starting to look like atleast Tampa Bay is going to be one of the teams eliminated with another loss or two in the upcoming weeks. Didn't think they were going to get in anyways. Sucks that almost all the teams the Bears are competing with won today. Next week is huge against the Patriots. The other top two teams have a favorable matchup next week so It's important the Bears win next week. The Saints could have a tough one against St Louis and the Vikings are playing pretty well as of late so the Giants could have their hands full next week.

Standings have been updated. Falcons pull off a lucky win against Tampa Bay in the 4th to go to 10-2. To me, the more I watch Atlanta the more I hope the Bears play them because I don't think they are that good. There defense is pretty horrid and if you stop there running game Matt Ryan is not Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, or Tom Brady. Not scared of them at all.

So it's starting to look like atleast Tampa Bay is going to be one of the teams eliminated with another loss or two in the upcoming weeks. Didn't think they were going to get in anyways. Sucks that almost all the teams the Bears are competing with won today. Next week is huge against the Patriots. The other top two teams have a favorable matchup next week so It's important the Bears win next week. The Saints could have a tough one against St Louis and the Vikings are playing pretty well as of late so the Giants could have their hands full next week.

Thanks for the update. We're still in the driver seat and I think Detroit gives GB a run for their money next week.

Thanks for the update. We're still in the driver seat and I think Detroit gives GB a run for their money next week.

Detroit's been playing everybody in the division close all year - they're definitely not a joke any more. If Green Bay lost to them, that would be HUGE; as-is, the Packers are in much better shape than the Bears in terms of tiebreakers. It's looking more and more like Chicago's going to have to either finish a game ahead of the Pack or stay even with them and win in Week 17 at Lambeau.

Records have been updated again.

One thing I'm noticing is that the Bears pretty much have to win there division if they want to make the playoffs. New Orleans has one wildcard spot locked up and the Giants now have the same record we do so if it came down to it, they would have the tie breaker. Luckily next week the Giants and Eagles both play each other so one team is going to have 5 losses at the end of next week. Thankfully, with the Packers loss this means the Bears can lock up the division next week with a Packers loss and a Bears win. I would like the Bears to have a first round bye so hopefully the Eagles and Giants can choke down the stretch here and the Bears pick up some steam and can win there last 3 games and they might have a chance.

Good job on this, Bears4Ever.

I'm still optimistic. NE is the best team in football, and they won't have to meet up with the Bears again unless it's in Dallas. Yes, the Bears won't beat the local Pop Warner squad playing like they did yesterday, but not every team can be good every game. (IE: Pittsburgh barely getting by Buffalo, NE being tied with Detroit after 3, etc)

Records updated! And proud to say the Bears are now NFC North Champions! Feels good to knock off the Packers from winning the division. Now we control our own destiny to get that 1st round bye. If we win out we are the #2 seed. Hopefully the Eagles can lose a few more games to make it a little easier for us but we have to take care of our business first. Now we have two very winnable games in the last two weeks. Let's go Bears!

Records have been updated! With the Eagles loss the Bears grab the #2 seed in the NFC and will have a first round bye in the playoffs.

This was a very good idea for a thread. I was pretty close in the predictions, excluding the Falcons, but it's nice to know that the Bears have the playoffs wrapped up early and don't actually have to worry about the Packer game like I thought would happen.

Thanks for keeping it updated!