Noots' Notes Game 11: 31-26 Win over Philadelphia

Noots

The Bears are 8-3 not 8-4.. Anyways.. I thought this was Cutler's best game he's ever played for the Bears. He was on target all night and made some big runs again that kept the chains moving. I love Martz's play calling right now and it's paying big dividends. I have not seen Forte run like that since his rookie days. This, also might have been Forte's best game as a Bear. He found a hole and made the quick move through the LOS and got some big runs for us.

The offensive line was both good and bad. Early in the first half, after we scored our first two TD's they really came unraveled and were the sole reason the Eagles were able to put some points on the board. They put our defense in bad situations. The biggest factor in today's game other than Cutler's performance was the defensive line. Man oh man did they play well. Melton, Idonije, and Peppers played fantastic and Tommie Harris finally made a big play that changed the game for us when it looked like the Eagles were about to take the lead. Just an overall well played game from all phases. For the people that want to gripe about how both of there CB's were out for today's game and we were lucky, that's total garbage. Nobody made excuses for the Bears when they lost 2 games without Briggs this year, two games that we had no business losing. I don't want to hear it.

1. I don't think Taylor deserves a horn. Each and every time he got the handoff there was a defensive player blowing up the play. Each time. I thought one time he might fumble because the DT was in as soon as Taylor got the ball.

2. The secondary deserves a lesser grade because they A] played too far back the entire game (I know the purpose, but it was still too much), and B] At least ONE of the safeties in the Cover-2 has to be there to dislodge the ball when Celek makes that TD catch.

I'm beginning to get that feeling that I did back in 06. It's oddly disturbing of how similar the season is shaping up. When bad Rex started to show up in the 2nd half of the season all of a sudden everybody started jumping off the Bears bandwagon and we became the underdogs going into the playoffs. There are still alot of doubters out there and you can bet they will surface again come playoff time, that is if we are even in them. There is something about the defense that feels different than the 06 team. Julius Peppers has really changed this defensive line into one of the best in the league. I feel like everytime a QB snaps the ball its only a matter of time before Peppers or another Dlineman get to him and force him to get rid of it. Yeah we had Mark Anderson back in 06 but nobody really double teamed him and his physical dominance pales in comparison to Peppers who is athletic enough to rush the quarterback, drop back into coverage, or chase down Michael Vick when he takes off running. His dominance is bringing out the best in Idonije and Henry Melton. We all know the Cover 2 relies heavily on getting pressure from the front 4, and when we don't have to blitz our linebackers all the time it allows Urlacher and Co. to sit back and watch the QB. We have past the first real test so far this year, now we have 3 more against the Pats, Jets, and Packers. If we beat the Patriots, that's about as good of a test as your going to get for the playoffs. The Jets don't worry me as much because I think the Bears can handle there offense pretty well, and if we can play offense like we did tonight we will be fine. The Packers scare me the most because their obviously in our division and we play them at Lambeau. I tell you what though, if our defense gets after it the way they did today, Aaron Rodgers is going to have a tough time getting his timing down to throw to his receivers. The Bears are the best takeaway team in the league and it's not by accident. We'll see how things play out over the last 5 games. Go Bears!

“As bad as we played, we lost by five and they know we’re a better team." Jason Peters.

Bitch please. Was that before, during, or after Peppers's dick hit you in the forehead?

Peters can go play hide and go F yourself. I'm sure Reid had a little talk with him afterwards. Something to the extent of "Don't give them any locker room material. We may play them again."

Peace :dabears

2. The secondary deserves a lesser grade because they A] played too far back the entire game (I know the purpose, but it was still too much), and B] At least ONE of the safeties in the Cover-2 has to be there to dislodge the ball when Celek makes that TD catch.

If we're talking about the same play....if Urlacher turns around he could have been earholed by that football. All he's gotta do is find the football on that play and he knocks it down or has a pick...and you want to blame the safeties? So does Urlacher have deep middle in that defense in name only? Is his job to just run down the middle of the field for the sport of it? Or should he play the god damned football? No, I'm not gonna blame the safeties on that play.

If we're talking about the same play....if Urlacher turns around he could have been earholed by that football. All he's gotta do is find the football on that play and he knocks it down or has a pick...and you want to blame the safeties? So does Urlacher have deep middle in that defense in name only? Is his job to just run down the middle of the field for the sport of it? Or should he play the god damned football? No, I'm not gonna blame the safeties on that play.

Urlacher made a great play then the next one Maclin is celebrating in the end zone because Urlacher seemed clueless on that play. That flat footed response cost us 6. If he sticks his damn hand out, the play's broken up.

If Vick makes that 2nd TD pass any fatter, we keep them out of the end zone all together. I think the grades were fair

Yes, we're talking about the same play.

It's a known gap in the cover-2, but ultimately I think a safety has to be there. Expecting Urlacher to cover that far down field is a little much at times. But, you're right, if he had cover-corner instincts, he would have just turned his head and picked it off.

Yes, we're talking about the same play.

It's a known gap in the cover-2, but ultimately I think a safety has to be there. Expecting Urlacher to cover that far down field is a little much at times. But, you're right, if he had cover-corner instincts, he would have just turned his head and picked it off.

Isn't this the Brian Urlacher who has safety instincts? It's his responsibility to run down the middle and take that TE. That's the challenge of the cover two. He is supposed to do it better than anybody in the league. So yeah, I have a hard time overlooking all of that and assessing the blame on the safeties there. Believe me, they get plenty of blame and justly so. But that play, where the TE is just running up the middle of the field, to overlook Urlacher and cast it on someone else, is a bit myopic. And believe me, I love our #54 as much as the next navy and orange bleeding guy!!

Isn't this the Brian Urlacher who has safety instincts? It's his responsibility to run down the middle and take that TE. That's the challenge of the cover two. He is supposed to do it better than anybody in the league. So yeah, I have a hard time overlooking all of that and assessing the blame on the safeties there. Believe me, they get plenty of blame and justly so. But that play, where the TE is just running up the middle of the field, to overlook Urlacher and cast it on someone else, is a bit myopic. And believe me, I love our #54 as much as the next navy and orange bleeding guy!!

Speaking of Brian. I know this may be a wee off topic but something I really want to see Brian do in the coming weeks is make amends for that little "juke" Brady put on him a few years back in the open field. Punctuated by Bradys air punch after finally being stopped several yards later.

A redemption for that would nice indeed!

Speaking of Brian. I know this may be a wee off topic but something I really want to see Brian do in the coming weeks is make amends for that little "juke" Brady put on him a few years back in the open field. Punctuated by Bradys air punch after finally being stopped several yards later.

I'm not absolving Urlacher of blame, but some of it has to be on the safeties. He hasn't been a safety for several years, and he's not quite as fast as he once was. Cover-2 means the safeties are each responsible for their half, which means they meet in the middle. One of them should have been there a little sooner with Urlacher.

I'm not absolving Urlacher of blame, but some of it has to be on the safeties. He hasn't been a safety for several years, and he's not quite as fast as he once was. Cover-2 means the safeties are each responsible for their half, which means they meet in the middle. One of them should have been there a little sooner with Urlacher.

It's worth noting that the Iggles had more than a couple fairly big but not giant 15-20 yard completions in that area over the middle between urlacher and the safeties in the first half as well.

I thought it was interesting to hear Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick admit on his weekly radio show in Virginia Beach, Va., that the alignment of the Chicago Bears' safeties caught him by surprise.

"I've never seen them play that deep," said Vick. "That was very surprising to us. If we would have game-planned for that, we would have had a good strategy to take advantage of that. We still had a good game plan and we still put ourselves in position to go up in the football game. We just didn't capitalize."

Link