NBR: Derek Anderson postgame

flea

That's just dummin' on Anderson's part. You basically said it...all he had to say was..."You know, I wish I could remember the joke. But given that we we were playing horribly and feeling bad about it, Deuce and I attempted some levity to try to bury our feelings of disgust in our playing. We probably should have saved for the locker room."

End of story...

I saw it. All he had to say was the guy said something funny and I cracked a smile. He wasn't laughing at the game so I don't see the big deal. The reporter took things too far and should have just given up after repeating it for the second time.

Having watched most of the Cards games this year I would say Anderson is typically pretty focused on the sidelines and this one shot is not the norm. We've had this discussion before about TV cameras and their 5 sec view of the bench. While facial expressions indicate a lot you cannot and should not read too much into it without getting the context. My daughter has met and talked with Deuce and his family many times. From what I know he's the type of person who is going to try to lift your spirits in tough times. I can't imagine he wasn't concerned about the team's poor play but when you know, like he did, most of that blame is going to be leveled at your QB would you try to pick up his spirits and help him relax before the next series, or do you just keep piling on? Do you leave him alone and isolated on the bench? I know there are many different answers (I have my preference) but none of us know what's already been tried with Anderson, what had already been said to him during the game, etc. Without that context I can't say what Deuce was doing was wrong...but John Gruden can.

There were plenty of camera shots of play on the field to show how uninspired the Cards were playing on both offense and defense and that was the real story.

Obviously Anderson handled the question very poorly and seeing his meltdown it's clear the pressure he's under. He knows this is likely the end of his career; for sure his chances at ever being a starter. Yet the Cardinals have no other answer on their bench. Max Hall is at best a backup QB and on top of that he's looking every bit a rookie. Behind him is a more talented thrower, John Skelton, who doesn't have the playbook down. The fact Whisenhunt kept Anderson in the game says a lot about his backups. Regardless, you'll be seeing one or both of the backups soon.

It's just the media blowing stuff out of proportion and that triggered Anderson's reaction. It's not like they were play wrestling or some childish BS. That is the problem with the media. They catch a glimpse of something and they spin it to be controversial. Then you have these D-Bag reporters trying to make a story out of nothing.

If Anderson passed for 400yds with no picks, and they were losing because Hightower fumbles, the media would have still shot from the hip trying to get a story. If it was Brady or Manning and they were down with the same stats, their would be no discussion.

I feel for Anderson because the pressure he's facing, but the blow up does not help his case at all.

Don't feel too sorry! He's probably made more than all of us on this board combined!

It's just the media blowing stuff out of proportion and that triggered Anderson's reaction. It's not like they were play wrestling or some childish BS. That is the problem with the media. They catch a glimpse of something and they spin it to be controversial. Then you have these D-Bag reporters trying to make a story out of nothing.

If Anderson passed for 400yds with no picks, and they were losing because Hightower fumbles, the media would have still shot from the hip trying to get a story. If it was Brady or Manning and they were down with the same stats, their would be no discussion.

I feel for Anderson because the pressure he's facing, but the blow up does not help his case at all.