Bears @ Lions, 12/5/10, 12:00 CT, FOX

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think Martz would be able to predict this and plan accordingly.

Terrible first possession.

Hopefully it gets better.

On the run play, there is nothing Martz could have done. The guys didn't block, period.

On the pass play jail break, there has to be an adjustment presnap when the opponent shows a massive blitz. That has very little to do with Martz. If he calls a pass from the snap, and Cutler sees 8 defensive players on the line of scrimmage, then an audible needs to happen.

On the run play, there is nothing Martz could have done. The guys didn't block, period.

On the pass play jail break, there has to be an adjustment presnap when the opponent shows a massive blitz. That has very little to do with Martz. If he calls a pass from the snap, and Cutler sees 8 defensive players on the line of scrimmage, then an audible needs to happen.

He can call some different plays. Getting Cutler in the shotgun would help him with the blitz. Like I said, its not a surprise that the line is bad and people are going to blitz on pass downs.

The line is not going to magically become a probowl one so plan accordingly.

He can call some different plays. Getting Cutler in the shotgun would help him with the blitz. Like I said, its not a surprise that the line is bad and people are going to blitz on pass downs.

The line is not going to magically become a probowl one so plan accordingly.

But he has to call SOME pass plays out of the orthodox formations. When those happen, the OL needs to do something, or Cutler needs to adjust presnap.

Your last line is the truth, however. I honestly think that the Bears should be in a max-protect on most pass plays and a jumbo package on most run plays. Who cares if the defense knows what's coming? At a certain point, we have to try and simply outplay the opponent instead of outsmart them. Outsmarting them may work at times, but it far too often leaves the offense vulnerable to a defense that is overall more talented.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Bears must dictate to the defense what they have to stop instead of the defense dictating what the Bears must do.

Martz is calling a brilliant game thus far.

-The 1/2 step drop and quick hit to Bennett came out of nowhere. I think the announcer almost swallowed his tongue.

-The skinny post to Bennett was great.

-The late-developing draw to Taylor was shocking.

-The counter-toss was genius...a play that has worked against the Bears numerous times, and for some reason the Bears never really used it. TD Forte.