If ya gotta win, win ugly

GrizzlyBear

We have been playing up and down to our competition since the bye. Thankfully we've won all those games despite some poor play. We should play better against New England next week. I'm really looking for the defense to step up this time. We haven't put a complete game together yet where the offense and defense has been clicking. I want to see that next week.

Cutler again has 116.9 QB Rating, His play is getting better each week. Great job,

Totally agree, his one real negative play was the sack fumble. But outside that over the last 5 weeks we are seeing the guy we thought we were getting in the trade. I think that there are two main reasons why.

#1. Martz has discovered this offensive concept called balance. He is not putting Jay back there in empty sets to drop back 7 steps down after down and and looking for the deep big play. The play calling now plays into the strengths of this talent we have on offense. Martz's play calling is putting Jay in a position to succeed rather than putting him in a position to fail. He's got a cannon for an arm but he also has a pair of weapons attached to his waist which we are seeing more use of. He's mobile, deceptively quick and can throw well on the run which makes him a Dangerous QB. Before the bye week we were using him like a statue pocket passer and he was getting his clock cleaned down after down.

#2. Jay is playing more under control and playing within himself. His decision making has been drastically better. Still has the occasional brain fart or tries to force a ball that shouldn't be thrown and at times will hold the ball too long. But you will have that with any QB. I think that #1 is part of this equation as he looks more comfortable because the play calling plays to his and his teammates strengths. He looks more like a player who trusts the system he's playing in than he did before.

#2. Jay is playing more under control and playing within himself. His decision making has been drastically better. Still has the occasional brain fart or tries to force a ball that shouldn't be thrown and at times will hold the ball too long. But you will have that with any QB. I think that #1 is part of this equation as he looks more comfortable because the play calling plays to his and his teammates strengths. He looks more like a player who trusts the system he's playing in than he did before.

I totally agree, Jay's been executing the system even when there's pressure on him, which is huge. I think a lot of it has to do with Martz carving out bigger roles for Olsen and Earl Bennett, especially in the red zone. They've been good safety valves, and Cutler's clearly comfortable checking down to them when there's pressure. Before the bye week, how many times did we see him get pressured, make about five reads without finding anybody, and then take a sack or throw a pick? Nowadays, that pressure gets through and he finds Bennett or Olsen or Forte, no big deal. Then Martz dials up a few quick-hitters or running plays, so Cutler's out of the fire for a little while. I think that's been huge for his confidence and his decision-making. He's still under siege out there, but he doesn't look rattled by it, which is crucial since the o-line is still allowing TONS of pressure. Martz has done a phenomenal job compensating for a god-awful o-line since the bye, and I think we're seeing the results from Cutler now.

Well said...

The D was the biggest disappointment. And they are the unit that I'm least concerned about. They'll right the ship. I was impressed by another smart day of playcalling. We ran, and ran well. Cutler played smart again.

Next week will be a big test. I don't expect a win, but I expect to try to either give Brady some trouble or try to match them blow for blow with the return game maybe making the difference.

Ill Take it, this was definately a dangerous game for the Bears. With New Englnad looming next week it woulda been very easy to be upset this game. Detroit is definately a dangerous team and the result was win, but it was ugly. ILL take it anyday. Go Bears.