Dilfer and the "Herd"

Alaskan Grizzly

Was listening a little to the "Herd" this morning. And of course Trent Dilfer made an appearance. (Colin is a big fan). They got to discussing the Bears. First thing Colin said is he thought the Bears were a "fraud". Asked Dilfer what he thought. Dilfer's reply was basically that he didn't believe in them. He did make one note that I found ironic. He felt the only real way that the Bears could even hope to make it into and through the playoffs (let alone Super Bowl) were if the Defense began to play off the chart. He felt that it mostly fell into the hands of Cutler being consistent and thusly why the team could not maintain it's momentum. They reviewed the remainder of the Bears schedule and not only did Colin say he thought the Bears would go 0-4 he thought the Jets were going to "destroy" the Bears. And Dilfer thought at best 1-3. Which got me to thinking about Dilfer and his statement.

I started to think about how he really isn't legit. I remember a few weeks ago when a few here were roasting over how Steve Young was burning the Bears and how ill received Young was for talking that way. No matter how wrong he might be, at least he can say he contributed to his SUper Bowl win and he is also in the Hall of Fame. What credibility does Dilfer have? He won a Super Bowl but only because of a dominant defense. How ironic. (Guess it takes "one to know one"). Beyond that he really never accomplished much. So I guess he falls into the category of another paid talking head that blows hot air? I know Colin is paid to antagonize people so that almost goes without saying.

The one positive was that Dilfer did know that he was making enemies with the Bear Nation. He said that each time he flies back to California he purposefully avoids flying through O'Hare mostly because of concerns about his comments of the Bears. Must be nice to have such a high opinion of yourself that anyone would recognize you let alone care.

In the meantime....keep up the great work Lovie and crew.

Guest TerraTor

Jets will kill bears the way the killed Lions and Bills.... oh wait

Its ok if east coast teams sqeeck by, but god forbid. And Im sure the chargers getting bitch slapped was just an oversight

ESPN is about as useful as a dick flavored lollipop

Cowherd is a bangwaggoning troller....

He likes who's popular (loves Brady, Manning, etc.) and will make bold statments against some fairly popular (ie. Bears, Ohio State, etc) teams just to get a rise out of people. He's probably right about 70% of the time and comes off like he's never wrong. He's a complete prick to anyone who disagrees with him on air regardless of how solid they make their points...

I listen to him while the Score is on commercial or if I'm tired of McNeil's act...which gets tired quickly. But at least it's Bears talk...

Was listening a little to the "Herd" this morning. And of course Trent Dilfer made an appearance. (Colin is a big fan). They got to discussing the Bears. First thing Colin said is he thought the Bears were a "fraud". Asked Dilfer what he thought. Dilfer's reply was basically that he didn't believe in them. He did make one note that I found ironic. He felt the only real way that the Bears could even hope to make it into and through the playoffs (let alone Super Bowl) were if the Defense began to play off the chart. He felt that it mostly fell into the hands of Cutler being consistent and thusly why the team could not maintain it's momentum. They reviewed the remainder of the Bears schedule and not only did Colin say he thought the Bears would go 0-4 he thought the Jets were going to "destroy" the Bears. And Dilfer thought at best 1-3. Which got me to thinking about Dilfer and his statement.

I started to think about how he really isn't legit. I remember a few weeks ago when a few here were roasting over how Steve Young was burning the Bears and how ill received Young was for talking that way. No matter how wrong he might be, at least he can say he contributed to his SUper Bowl win and he is also in the Hall of Fame. What credibility does Dilfer have? He won a Super Bowl but only because of a dominant defense. How ironic. (Guess it takes "one to know one"). Beyond that he really never accomplished much. So I guess he falls into the category of another paid talking head that blows hot air? I know Colin is paid to antagonize people so that almost goes without saying.

The one positive was that Dilfer did know that he was making enemies with the Bear Nation. He said that each time he flies back to California he purposefully avoids flying through O'Hare mostly because of concerns about his comments of the Bears. Must be nice to have such a high opinion of yourself that anyone would recognize you let alone care.

I EFFING LOATHE COLON COWHERD. He sucks. I don't care what Dilfer says, he's still not as bad as Cowherd.

I can't stand these two people. Two of the most clueless people I've seen on TV. Dilfer is just flat out ignorant. His reason for the Bears not making it is such a BS argument it's not even funny. He says the Bears can't win in the playoffs because they can't stretch the field and complete 3rd and 7's when it counts. I'm sorry, but why do you have to be able to constantly stretch the field in the playoffs? I've never heard him explain this. Then to say the Bears can't win playing control offense is just flat out ridiculous. I must have missed the rule that says the game changes in the playoffs and control style offense must throw down field.

I can't stand these two people. Two of the most clueless people I've seen on TV. Dilfer is just flat out ignorant. His reason for the Bears not making it is such a BS argument it's not even funny. He says the Bears can't win in the playoffs because they can't stretch the field and complete 3rd and 7's when it counts. I'm sorry, but why do you have to be able to constantly stretch the field in the playoffs? I've never heard him explain this. Then to say the Bears can't win playing control offense is just flat out ridiculous. I must have missed the rule that says the game changes in the playoffs and control style offense must throw down field.

The common logic in this is that without stretching the field, the defense can eventually squeeze into a smaller box and make the underneath and intermediate routes more difficult to complete, not to mention making the running game holes open less frequently and for shorter durations. It's actually a pretty sound concept. An offensive team MUST be able to provide the threat of a deep ball at the very least.

Right now the Bears have the QB for the deep ball, the WRs for the deep ball, but not the OL for it. Opponents have to know this, but I guess the threat is just enough that they're not completely squeezing in. IF they were, the short routes wouldn't be working as well.

It's hard to argue with the production, however slow and arduous it may be. The Bears offense is better overall since the bye because they are more balanced and control the clock some of the time. It's still frustrating as a fan to watch, because I think they are capable of so much more. I think the offensive skill positions are capable of putting up 40+ like the Pats last night. But with the OL flaws - and there is no mistaking that they have gotten ever so slightly better during the season - it's impossible for Martz to truly implement his high octane offense.

All Bears fans are happy for wins, but I'm not content yet. I think the glaring holes will get exploited at one point or another, and I hope it isn't a repeat of the year that Steve Smith tore the Bears a new A-hole in the playoffs.

I have been listening to Cowherd since his days in oregon. Whenever I hear someone's opinion about anything I check the reference. I don't ask single people parenting advice. I don't ask life long employees how to open a business. And I don't listen to people that have a past of super-bias have opinions. So when Colin, an admitted non-sports fan, spouts off his opinion on the bears I click off. He hates cutler and the bears so much that he even criticizes Cutler's dating life. Dilfer, the poster boy of not losing a superbowl rather than winning a super bowl, has no business judging. He and Tim Hasselback are ridiculous.

Dilfer's pretty consistently wrong about quarterbacks, which is kind of funny. He's incredibly critical of Cutler, meanwhile he touts Mark Sanchez as a top-10 quarterback, talks about how he doesn't understand why nobody gives Sanchez credit, etc. Here are some stat lines, Trent:

Cutler: 201/318 (63.2%) for 2545 yards (8.0 YPA), 17 TDs, 10 picks. 92.8 QB rating

Sanchez: 218/397 (54.9%) 2636 yards (6.6 YPA), 16 TDs, 11 picks, 77.4 QB rating

...and that's despite the fact that Sanchez gets phenomenal pass protection and his receivers are Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Jerricho Cotchery. Cutler's taken more than twice as many sacks, has a bunch of young receivers who are still developing, and he's outperforming Sanchez by a mile. Every time I hear Trent Dilfer give his opinion on a quarterback these days, I just tune him out.

The common logic in this is that without stretching the field, the defense can eventually squeeze into a smaller box and make the underneath and intermediate routes more difficult to complete, not to mention making the running game holes open less frequently and for shorter durations. It's actually a pretty sound concept. An offensive team MUST be able to provide the threat of a deep ball at the very least.

Right now the Bears have the QB for the deep ball, the WRs for the deep ball, but not the OL for it. Opponents have to know this, but I guess the threat is just enough that they're not completely squeezing in. IF they were, the short routes wouldn't be working as well.

It's hard to argue with the production, however slow and arduous it may be. The Bears offense is better overall since the bye because they are more balanced and control the clock some of the time. It's still frustrating as a fan to watch, because I think they are capable of so much more. I think the offensive skill positions are capable of putting up 40+ like the Pats last night. But with the OL flaws - and there is no mistaking that they have gotten ever so slightly better during the season - it's impossible for Martz to truly implement his high octane offense.

All Bears fans are happy for wins, but I'm not content yet. I think the glaring holes will get exploited at one point or another, and I hope it isn't a repeat of the year that Steve Smith tore the Bears a new A-hole in the playoffs.

yeah but my question is why do you have to do that? And why aren't opponents making the bears stretch the field now? The game doesn't change, and I see no reason why the Bears won't be able to continue doing what they have been doing since the Bye, even in the playoffs.

Also, I have never seen a QB criticized more than Cutler about INTs or bad judgment. If Peyton or Eli throw an INT or make a questionable throw, I hear things like "it was a great play by the defense" or "he was going for the win". Sanchez threw 3 INTs in 6 passes and all of them lead to NE TD's.

To be honest with you, our WR's are better suited for making the big play short and breaking it for TD's. I'd like to have a bigger more physical wideout that we can utilize on deep balls where Jay can throw it up in one on one coverage and our guy goes up and gets it. He can't do that now so the margin of error is much smaller as Knox/Hester need to be wide open and he needs to make a perfect pass.

They're both tools. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears went 0-4 the rest of the way. It also wouldn't surprise me if they won 2 or 3. This team is as good as the D and Cutler's decision making allows them to be. If Cutler takes the sack rather than tossing it up, even our glaring issues at O Line are diminished. If he doesn't fumble or get injured. The O Line seems to be run blocking well and that's better than nothing. If you can keep 'em honest with the run, hit the right number of passes and get turnovers on the D, you can win in this league. And usually, our ST's are better than our opponents too which gives us better field position and can lead to easier scores.

I'm not paying attention to the national media these days because they just irritate me. And Colin Cowhead isn't worth my time even when he isn't talking Bears. He's an idiot.

Schlerith has become a forgotten man now that guys like Dildo and Hasselbeck have come to the forefront. Steve Young annoys me to because he's so condescending. The way he speaks is so arrogant and he continues to dis Cutler despite his good performances in the past few weeks. Although he did say he can see the Bears in the superbowl if the defense carries them and Cutler takes less risks with the football. Dilfer gives us ZERO chance but his reasons are so hypocritical that you can't take him seriously.

I was thinking the exact same thing. When Peyton Manning throws 4 picks sixes in consecutive weeks the mother-ship as DP refers to ESPN as; are making excuses left and right in defense of Manning. No Bear QB that I am aware of has done this in recent years! That is down right atrocious play by Manning but that is the reality when your team is 1 dimensional on offense when you can not run the ball!

Maybe Jay's personalty brings some of this on himself but it is unfortunate that the talking heads can not at least acknowledge or give credit when it is earned. Jay is far from perfect but he is doing a much better job with his decisions and minimizing his mistakes. If the OL can do the same this team has a chance to contend.

I hope Martz keeps the balance on offense and Tice can get more out of the OL.

Also, I have never seen a QB criticized more than Cutler about INTs or bad judgment. If Peyton or Eli throw an INT or make a questionable throw, I hear things like "it was a great play by the defense" or "he was going for the win". Sanchez threw 3 INTs in 6 passes and all of them lead to NE TD's.

I can't understand why anyone cares what these goofballs say. Just worry about the team and how they play.

Peace :dabears

I agree. I am tired of wasting my energy on average has beens who run their mouths bashing players that have better ratings and less interceptions than the guy they constantly praise. It makes me sick. Well said, Connorbear!

Trent can suck a donkey's you know what!!!! I remember laughing about how bad he was when he played. I didnt realize he was drafted so high by Tampa. I would consider him a bust when looking at his stats. He may have won a superbowl but it had nothing to do with him. I think he hates Cutler because Cutler has a rocket arm and he couldnt throw a 10 yard out to save his life. Really at the end of the day Connnor is right who gives a shit what these douche bags say.