Next four games/playoffs

fudgeripple2000

I may be in the minority but I like our schedule going forward. It's tough, that won't change but the sequence is what I like.

New England--at chicago and after a blowout win I have the optimism that the pats will not be as sharp than if they had just been blown out. My concern is that what they beat the Jets with is what we used to beat the lions with. Over the middle routs in the zone. We have Urlacher to help that middle part of the cover two but if we don't tackle better than we are doomed. I still objectively feel like we have a great chance given that the bears have recently been playing at the level of their opponent.

At Minnesota--we'll see if we are dealing with Brett or Tavaris. Either way I like our chances.

New York Jets--if we follow the blueprint we have been using recently we should take care of the jets. Over the middle routs and running back dump offs with lots of pressure on Sanchez.

At Green Bay--Being objective I see us losing this game. In green bay and with the way they are playing.

I see us going 2-2 finishing 11-5.

Green Bay has in my opinion, a tougher schedule.

At Detroit

At New England

Giants

Bears

I see them finishing 2-2 also leaving them at 10-6.

At 11-5, we could very easily have the second seed. The first seed will most likely come out of the NFC south. We take the second due to our win over philly and giants finishing 3/4 games on the road.

It is hard for me to be as optimistic as you are. Jets are probably the most winnable game on our schedule and they have 9 wins for a reason. Pats are damn good and a road game against the Vikings who are playing much better will be tough. I think our game @ Green Bay is our toughest.

I also think we need 2 wins and that 1 probably won't be enough given what the other teams have done. If that 1 win was GB, than I'd say it probably would be enough.

Bears are going to have to earn this thing. Lets hope they do it :)

If Green Bay falls another game behind the Bears between now and Week 17, then we're pretty much home free. Other than that, it's going to be tough. If the Packers only manage to beat the Lions and Giants (which they probably should,) then the Bears need to either run the table or beat Green Bay at Lambeau in January.

To put it another way, if the Packers beat the Lions and Giants but lose to the Patriots, here are the five possible scenarios:

1) Bears beat Pats, Jets, Vikings

WEEK 17: CHI takes the division (better record) even if GB wins

2) Bears beat Pats and Jets, lose to Vikings

WEEK 17: if GB wins they take the division (tiebreakers - division record), if CHI wins they take the division (better record)

3) the Bears beat the Vikings and one of Pats/Jets, lose to the other of Pats/Jets

WEEK 17: if GB wins they take the division (tiebreakers - conference record), if CHI wins they take the division (better record)

4) the Bears lose any two games out of Pats, Jets, Vikings

WEEK 17: if GB wins they take the division (better record), if CHI wins they take the division (better record)

5) Bears lose all three games out of Pats, Jets, Vikings

WEEK 17: if GB wins they take the division (better record), if CHI wins they take the division (tiebreakers - head-to-head)

Basically, Green Bay just has to beat Detroit and New York and hope that Chicago can't run the table. Then that Week 17 game at Lambeau is a win-or-go-home for both teams.

The game this week and the last game of the season scare me the most. I don't think the Jets are that scary because they don't have a good quarterback and if we shut down there running game we can beat them. The Vikings game is a little scary just because we play them in Minnesota and they no longer have Chilly as a coach.. I still think it's going to come down to the Packers game on the last game of the season unless the Packers somehow lose two more games before we play them. If we win this week I think you can pretty much lock us in for the playoffs.

A couple things stood out in the Pats game. The Jets were constantly blitzing and the Patriots schemed to get players right behind the blitzing players. We don't blitz like that at all so we'll have LBs in better position to stop short inside routes.

Despite all the effort to get to Brady the Jets couldn't get there so either the Jets have bad pass rushers (I thought their effort and moves were weak) or the Patriots Oline is just outstanding. Throughout the season there have been teams that have gotten to Brady. I'm guessing we'll be able to get some pressure on him. Regardless Brady is a stud at getting rid of the ball. I look at this game the same as when we played the Eagles and how to contain the Eagles offense. Brady won't run like Vick but you need quick pressure on the QB so the ball comes out early and let the zone D flow to the ball and make the tackle. You need this to avoid the big plays. We're not going to shut these guys out but at least make them work for it and the tackling better be outstanding because these quick guys on the underneath routes can go upfield in a hurry. If we can't get to Brady with the front four we're in big trouble.

Patriots defense...I saw lots of big running gains so there's a reason the Patriots are ranked 19th in run defense. That ranking might be worse if teams weren't playing catch up in the 4th quarter. The Jets seemed to back off the running game, unfortunately Sanchez is not good enough of a QB to rely on him like they did. (I've never been that impressed by him.) Jets also dropped a lot of easy passes. We need to stick with our offensive formula and run first on these guys. Keep putting together long drives while Brady sits on the bench. Patriots are 31st in pass defense. Is it because teams are passing to keep up? Either way, they aren't stopping the run and they aren't stopping the pass. Nonetheless Belichik is the master at taking away that which you do best, I just don't know what that is on our offense. I expect lots of blitzes early on to test our Oline.

Overall we'll need our best offensive effort of the season to win this one. We're going to get opportunities to do that can we take advantage of them?

Let's run the table. I know that seems crazy to think but... we have

NE at Chicago on a short week after they beat the Jest silly. Pats are a cocky team, an overconfident pats team coming here on a short week is a good thing, that alone doesn't make this a win but many in the media, and many of us weren't sure what to expect from the Philly game at Chicago. And we dominated them. I feel like it's possible we can take this game.

At Minny this one scares me more than it did before chilly got canned. But Minny hasn't exactly beaten a couple of juggernauts in the Redskins and the Bills. I know we lost to Washington and barely beat the Bills but we are also playing much better now than we were when we faced those two teams.

Jets at Chicago after licking their wounds against the fish and a tough game against the Steelers. Their passing game doesn't scare me and we are good against the run. They are down to begging people off the street to come play safety for them after the Pats game they were down to two active safeties on their game day roster. I think their defense can be exploited by a balanced attack.

GB at Lambo this one should be interesting they have a tough schedule coming up Lions seem to be getting closer and closer to putting together a complete game, they travel to NE the week after the Bears host the pats and should we beat the pats at home they could take it out on the Packers, their last two are home games but against the Giant (who knows which giants team shows up), and then host the Bears.

I think it's possible for us to win out. The next three weeks can either make the GB game critical or inconsequential, either way we will know by kickoff more than likely if the GB game is a must win. The toughest games in this stretch look to be the NE and the GB games. Jets and Vikes don't scare me enough to panic.

I will say this much, I didn't think at this point in the season I'd be even thinking playoffs this year let alone that we could have a real shot at the #2 seed. No matter how far the Bears go this season and post season, this has been a fun season to watch this team mature. Now change and chicago bears can be used in the same sentence without drawing laughter or invoking anger.

ok, come on folks...

Bears v. Pats. Dont see the Bears beating the Patriots. The Bears dont have the secondary to cover all the weapons the Pats have. I expect a high scoring game, but the Pats win this one, by at least 14

Bears v. Minny. Bears will beat the Vikings easy. The vikings are done and yes, they played well last game, they are who they are. This team does not scare me at all...Bears by 10

Bears v. Jets. This will be a match-up that will provide a great game. Both defenses are similar, but the Bears have a better offense. Jets are good against non playoff teams, but struggle against truely good football teams. the Bears are a good team, and will win this game by a FG.

Bears v. Packers. Game of the year with playoff implications. Winner is in and loser is out. This is in GB, and Rodgers is playing fantastic right now. Dont know why, but Packers will roll in this one, taking it by 17 pts. No playoffs for the Bears...and they give the fans more reason to hate there existance.

ok, come on folks...

Bears v. Pats. Dont see the Bears beating the Patriots. The Bears dont have the secondary to cover all the weapons the Pats have. I expect a high scoring game, but the Pats win this one, by at least 14

Bears v. Minny. Bears will beat the Vikings easy. The vikings are done and yes, they played well last game, they are who they are. This team does not scare me at all...Bears by 10

Bears v. Jets. This will be a match-up that will provide a great game. Both defenses are similar, but the Bears have a better offense. Jets are good against non playoff teams, but struggle against truely good football teams. the Bears are a good team, and will win this game by a FG.

Bears v. Packers. Game of the year with playoff implications. Winner is in and loser is out. This is in GB, and Rodgers is playing fantastic right now. Dont know why, but Packers will roll in this one, taking it by 17 pts. No playoffs for the Bears...and they give the fans more reason to hate there existance.

From reading this, you have the Bears with a 2-2 record over their last 4 games. That makes them an 11-5 team. They are not missing the playoffs as an 11-5 team.

how so...i will need to go back and review the rest of the teams. The Pats were, i think, 11-5 and they did not make the playoffs, so its possible. from difiantgiant...3) the Bears beat the Vikings and one of Pats/Jets, lose to the other of Pats/Jets

WEEK 17: if GB wins they take the division (tiebreakers - conference record), if CHI wins they take the division (better record)

Here's my "two cents": for what it's worth.

First look at all the scores of all the games this year, wins AND losses. No blowouts, not even the ugliest loss at NYG. The only ones close were the wins against Mia and Car. That means the Bears are staying competitive, despite themselves in some cases. Remember last year and the debacles with Cinncinati and Baltimore? The team definitely did not look good in those games.

Next, the field has been and will be a factor. Almost all the home games have shown the visitors slipping or other similar issues at key moments. That gives the edge to Chicago, especially this weekend with NE.

And remember the hype at the beginning of the year about the chemistry (Martz / Cutler) and how formidable the schedule looked? And, I might add how many of you wanted for so many changes? Despite it all, the Bears are where they are. In a position to make the playoffs. Whodda thunk?

I strongly think the Bears will split the NE and NYJ games with a 1-1. As far as Minn and GB go, I'll have to see how things go when we reach that point. A lot can happen between now and then.

Two things are for sure for sure. My favorite team is the Bears. My next favorite team this weekend is the upwswinging Lions!

Here's my "two cents": for what it's worth.

First look at all the scores of all the games this year, wins AND losses. No blowouts, not even the ugliest loss at NYG. The only ones close were the wins against Mia and Car. That means the Bears are staying competitive, despite themselves in some cases. Remember last year and the debacles with Cinncinati and Baltimore? The team definitely did not look good in those games.

Next, the field has been and will be a factor. Almost all the home games have shown the visitors slipping or other similar issues at key moments. That gives the edge to Chicago, especially this weekend with NE.

And remember the hype at the beginning of the year about the chemistry (Martz / Cutler) and how formidable the schedule looked? And, I might add how many of you wanted for so many changes? Despite it all, the Bears are where they are. In a position to make the playoffs. Whodda thunk?

I strongly think the Bears will split the NE and NYJ games with a 1-1. As far as Minn and GB go, I'll have to see how things go when we reach that point. A lot can happen between now and then.

From reading this, you have the Bears with a 2-2 record over their last 4 games. That makes them an 11-5 team. They are not missing the playoffs as an 11-5 team.

In Boxer's scenario, there's at least one way that the Bears could go 11-5 and still miss the playoffs. If Chicago goes 2-2 the way he was suggesting, the Saints would only have to beat the Rams and Bucs to finish 11-5 and get a WC tiebreaker over Chicago (better conference record.) Assuming the Eagles can beat Dallas and Minnesota (which they definitely should,) then if:

1) Giants win against Minnesota, Washington, and Green Bay (Giants finish 11-5, have 9-3 conference record to Bears' 8-4)

2) Eagles beat Giants (Eagles take NFC East, putting Giants in WC hunt)

...then the Bears go home.

Basically, in Boxer's scenario, Bears fans need to hope that either:

1) the Giants beat the Eagles and win the NFC East (Eagles end up tied with Chicago at 11-5, Bears have the tiebreaker (common opponents)) or

2) the Giants lose to the Eagles and one other team (probably Green Bay) or

3) one of Saints/Eagles totally falls apart down the stretch (not likely, seeing as they have some cupcakes on the schedule)

Well, said. Me and Lith are drinking the Lion Kool-Aid today.

Yeah, as long as the Bears are winning, I'm kind of pulling for the Lions too. You always want the underdog to do well, and those dudes deserve some wins. Now that the Bears have swept, I'd like to see Detroit get a couple more wins before the season's over. That's a 6-10 or maybe even 7-9 team on paper, but they've just had a meat grinder schedule and some really unlucky injuries. They've had 9 games against potential playoff teams, depending on wild cards...that's an insanely tough slate for a rebuilding team.

Looking ahead to next year, it'd be pretty cool if the Bears won the division and the Lions got a wildcard spot. Send the Packers and Vikings home early, let Detroit get that playoff drought behind them, etc.

Eagles have more "weapons" than the Pats. Fail.

It's true - if this defense could stop Mike Vick and the Eagles, they've at least got a shot at beating New England. That said, Tom Brady is the kind of quarterback who usually carves up Lovie's defense - they've never been able to stop that dink-and-dunk passing attack, and he's better at it than anybody else. I think a lot's going to come down to the Bears' red zone defense - I expect the Pats to move the ball, but Chicago has a chance if they can mostly keep them out of the end zone.

Seriously...

I don't want them getting any more high draft picks either!

Yeah, as long as the Bears are winning, I'm kind of pulling for the Lions too. You always want the underdog to do well, and those dudes deserve some wins. Now that the Bears have swept, I'd like to see Detroit get a couple more wins before the season's over. That's a 6-10 or maybe even 7-9 team on paper, but they've just had a meat grinder schedule and some really unlucky injuries. They've had 9 games against potential playoff teams, depending on wild cards...that's an insanely tough slate for a rebuilding team.

Looking ahead to next year, it'd be pretty cool if the Bears won the division and the Lions got a wildcard spot. Send the Packers and Vikings home early, let Detroit get that playoff drought behind them, etc.

no they dont, not even close.

The comparisons end when you compare a HOF quarterback to a QB that's having a breakout season like Michael Vick. Then you throw in the Pats offensive line dominance against the Eagles Oline and the Patriots win. The Eagles would be able to put up points against the Pats though because they have some dynamic receivers but as far as offenses go, it's New England all the way.

A couple things stood out in the Pats game. The Jets were constantly blitzing and the Patriots schemed to get players right behind the blitzing players. We don't blitz like that at all so we'll have LBs in better position to stop short inside routes.

Despite all the effort to get to Brady the Jets couldn't get there so either the Jets have bad pass rushers (I thought their effort and moves were weak) or the Patriots Oline is just outstanding. Throughout the season there have been teams that have gotten to Brady. I'm guessing we'll be able to get some pressure on him. Regardless Brady is a stud at getting rid of the ball. I look at this game the same as when we played the Eagles and how to contain the Eagles offense. Brady won't run like Vick but you need quick pressure on the QB so the ball comes out early and let the zone D flow to the ball and make the tackle. You need this to avoid the big plays. We're not going to shut these guys out but at least make them work for it and the tackling better be outstanding because these quick guys on the underneath routes can go upfield in a hurry. If we can't get to Brady with the front four we're in big trouble.

Patriots defense...I saw lots of big running gains so there's a reason the Patriots are ranked 19th in run defense. That ranking might be worse if teams weren't playing catch up in the 4th quarter. The Jets seemed to back off the running game, unfortunately Sanchez is not good enough of a QB to rely on him like they did. (I've never been that impressed by him.) Jets also dropped a lot of easy passes. We need to stick with our offensive formula and run first on these guys. Keep putting together long drives while Brady sits on the bench. Patriots are 31st in pass defense. Is it because teams are passing to keep up? Either way, they aren't stopping the run and they aren't stopping the pass. Nonetheless Belichik is the master at taking away that which you do best, I just don't know what that is on our offense. I expect lots of blitzes early on to test our Oline.

Overall we'll need our best offensive effort of the season to win this one. We're going to get opportunities to do that can we take advantage of them?

I know hindsight is 20/20, and nobody predicted how bad it would be, but your post made me laugh for the following reasons:

1) You said, "We don't blitz like that at all so we'll have LBs in better position to stop short inside routes." - Uhhh...so much for that.

2) You said, "I'm guessing we'll be able to get some pressure on him." - Couldn't be further from the truth.

3) You said, "You need this to avoid the big plays." - Correct, too bad it didn't happen.

4) You said, "We're not going to shut these guys out but at least make them work for it and the tackling better be outstanding because these quick guys on the underneath routes can go upfield in a hurry." - Correct/Incorrect/Correct. The Bears surely didn't shut the Pats out, but they didn't exactly have to work for it either. As for the latter part, it sure did seem like every time Welker caught the ball he turned it up for 6-10 more.

5) You said, "I saw lots of big running gains so there's a reason the Patriots are ranked 19th in run defense." - Funny, but it's yet another game - what is that 13 now? - that the Bears' didn't have more than a handfull of decent running holes. Not surprising.

6) You said, "That ranking might be worse if teams weren't playing catch up in the 4th quarter." - DING DING DING!!

7) You said, "We need to stick with our offensive formula and run first on these guys. Keep putting together long drives while Brady sits on the bench." - That's easier said than done, especially when the OL never really lets the offense run consistently. And that whole "Brady on the bench" thing surely didn't happen.

8) You said, "Patriots are 31st in pass defense. Is it because teams are passing to keep up?" - DING DING DING!!

9) You said, "I expect lots of blitzes early on to test our Oline." - I didn't really see a ton of blitzes, but it was probably because the Pats got into the backfield at will.

10) You said, "Overall we'll need our best offensive effort of the season to win this one. We're going to get opportunities to do that can we take advantage of them?" - In the end it didn't really matter what offensive effort was given by the Bears. Sure, a better performance would have made the game look better, but it was the defense that was necessary. They were the ones that needed to step up to allow for a chance at success. Unfortunately, a Lovie Smith team will never abandon the cover-2, and it got exploited by a stud QB...just like I've been saying for numerous weeks. The cover-2 is horrible against teams who have all-star QBs (i.e. most of the teams that get into the playoffs).

No offense intended, but I just found your post to be incredibly wrong and incredibly insightful at the same time.

I know hindsight is 20/20, and nobody predicted how bad it would be, but your post made me laugh for the following reasons:

1) You said, "We don't blitz like that at all so we'll have LBs in better position to stop short inside routes." - Uhhh...so much for that.

2) You said, "I'm guessing we'll be able to get some pressure on him." - Couldn't be further from the truth.

3) You said, "You need this to avoid the big plays." - Correct, too bad it didn't happen.

4) You said, "We're not going to shut these guys out but at least make them work for it and the tackling better be outstanding because these quick guys on the underneath routes can go upfield in a hurry." - Correct/Incorrect/Correct. The Bears surely didn't shut the Pats out, but they didn't exactly have to work for it either. As for the latter part, it sure did seem like every time Welker caught the ball he turned it up for 6-10 more.

5) You said, "I saw lots of big running gains so there's a reason the Patriots are ranked 19th in run defense." - Funny, but it's yet another game - what is that 13 now? - that the Bears' didn't have more than a handfull of decent running holes. Not surprising.

6) You said, "That ranking might be worse if teams weren't playing catch up in the 4th quarter." - DING DING DING!!

7) You said, "We need to stick with our offensive formula and run first on these guys. Keep putting together long drives while Brady sits on the bench." - That's easier said than done, especially when the OL never really lets the offense run consistently. And that whole "Brady on the bench" thing surely didn't happen.

8) You said, "Patriots are 31st in pass defense. Is it because teams are passing to keep up?" - DING DING DING!!

9) You said, "I expect lots of blitzes early on to test our Oline." - I didn't really see a ton of blitzes, but it was probably because the Pats got into the backfield at will.

10) You said, "Overall we'll need our best offensive effort of the season to win this one. We're going to get opportunities to do that can we take advantage of them?" - In the end it didn't really matter what offensive effort was given by the Bears. Sure, a better performance would have made the game look better, but it was the defense that was necessary. They were the ones that needed to step up to allow for a chance at success. Unfortunately, a Lovie Smith team will never abandon the cover-2, and it got exploited by a stud QB...just like I've been saying for numerous weeks. The cover-2 is horrible against teams who have all-star QBs (i.e. most of the teams that get into the playoffs).

No offense intended, but I just found your post to be incredibly wrong and incredibly insightful at the same time.

Well at least we know someone was happy after that loss. Good for you man, you get to chest bump about the cover 2 some more.

Just an FYI gents, our cover 2 is dependent on a pass rush. In snow it is damn near impossible to generate much of a pass rush against a team running quick passes. In hindsight we should have blitzed a ton but that isn't the Bears style. Play the game in different conditions and it might be a different game.

Either way, I tip my cap to to the Pats. They are a great freakin football team. But you know what, the Pats once got their asses kicked by the Browns and it didn't end there season and I'm not writing off the Bears because of one bad loss. Shit happens.