Martz in '11

BearsFan1974

no way....the offense is too inconsistent and teams will need to see a whole season before giving him a chance

Good point but don't you think it is the personnel we have on the O-Line that has been the problem. Look at the numbers Jay has put up compared to last season. I think with the personnel we have and the way we are playing, teams in search of a HC will take a serious look at Martz.

Good point but don't you think it is the personnel we have on the O-Line that has been the problem. Look at the numbers Jay has put up compared to last season. I think with the personnel we have and the way we are playing, teams in search of a HC will take a serious look at Martz.

I don't know...his track record since leaving the Rams is pretty poor, and I think it's widely recognized that he had once-in-a-lifetime talent in St. Louis. On top of that, the guy has a reputation for being extremely difficult to work with. I think it'll take at least another solid season with the Bears before he's considered for head coaching jobs. If he can put in another good year as OC, though, then hopefully the Bears will be able to convince him to stay on long-term, like Dick LeBeau with the Steelers.

1. Chicago... I just don't think there's enough paper on him that would make owners forget about his miserable outing when he was a HC. I think 2 years with us with success and he'll be a hot commodity. If for some reason he does get and offer, then my guess would be a place with a strong passing game. Maybe Cincy? Palmer was once good... Maybe Houston if they oust Kubiak... Maybe Buffalo...

2. Assuming he goes...I wouldn't have the foggiest who they get. If we're successful, I could at least see people wanting to come here unlike last year!

With Martz making adujstments on the offense with a balanced attack, I believe he will be offered a head coaching job somehwere in the league. So to this board I pose the following two questions:

1. Where will he go coach?

2. Who will replace him as Bears OC?

I agree...

If he continues to do well for us, then I'd lke him to stick around for a while. It seems Smith is best when his coordinators are good... (Not really an earth shattering statement, I know!)

I don't know...his track record since leaving the Rams is pretty poor, and I think it's widely recognized that he had once-in-a-lifetime talent in St. Louis. On top of that, the guy has a reputation for being extremely difficult to work with. I think it'll take at least another solid season with the Bears before he's considered for head coaching jobs. If he can put in another good year as OC, though, then hopefully the Bears will be able to convince him to stay on long-term, like Dick LeBeau with the Steelers.

I agree...

If he continues to do well for us, then I'd lke him to stick around for a while. It seems Smith is best when his coordinators are good... (Not really an earth shattering statement, I know!)

Ditka was at his best when his coordinators were good. He had the most experienced coaching staff in the league when he was hired.

Peace :dabears

When left to himself,Martz will implode. I think he was reigned in by his coach or GM this year, as he has never shown the ability to change as much as he has. Imo - he stays.

Sounds like he was reined in by basically everybody. I can't find the article now, but I was reading that Lovie, Angelo, and Ted all talked to him during the bye week, asking him to please make some adjustments. Some anonymous team source said the tipping point was when Mike Tice sat him down and hashed out exactly what the o-line could and couldn't do. If that really happened, then Cutler needs to buy Tice a new car or something - the guy saved his season (not to mention his brain cells.)

At minimum, Cutty should buy Tice a new box of sharpened pencils!

Sounds like he was reined in by basically everybody. I can't find the article now, but I was reading that Lovie, Angelo, and Ted all talked to him during the bye week, asking him to please make some adjustments. Some anonymous team source said the tipping point was when Mike Tice sat him down and hashed out exactly what the o-line could and couldn't do. If that really happened, then Cutler needs to buy Tice a new car or something - the guy saved his season (not to mention his brain cells.)

So turning the Lions into a viable, dangerous, explosive offense is "pretty poor?"

Making Jon Kitna a reliable fantasy football star with over 4000yds passing is "pretty poor?"

Guiding a Chicago offense to mediocrity while having one of the worst OL's in NFL history is "pretty poor?"

While I agree with the rest of your post, I don't know about your analysis of his post-Rams success.