Throwing in the snow

jason

I didn't record the game, and I surely wasn't there, but I was wondering why the Bears couldn't throw the same way as the Patriots yesterday. What I mean is, I know Cutler is not Brady, but why wouldn't the 7-15 yard pass patterns be just as effective for the Bears as they were for the Patriots? Would not the Pats' defensive players slip just as the Bears' did? Don't they have to react just as much as the Bears' defense did?

Leading up to the game I heard two coaching strategies:

1) Bill Cowher said teams should blitz.

2) Multiple people said the short passing game had an advantage in the snow because reacting to a route is harder than executing a route.

It seems the Bears did neither. Hence, the ass-whipping occurred.

So, I already know why the Bears didn't blitz: a stubborn embrace of an antiquated, passive cover-2.

What I'm not totally sure about is why the Bears didn't have more short to intermediate crossing routes just like the Pats.

The problem with blitzing a team like the Pats is that it usually doesn't work. The Blitz can sometimes get to the QB, but even when it does, a good QB like Brady is just sitting there waiting for you to blitz, because it opens up the field for the pass. A couple plays that I recall before they cut away were completions on plays where either the Bears did a serious blitz, i.e. sending Bowman or the LB's, or plays where the LB's hung up on a play-fake. They both turned into solid, easy completions for Brady, because he got the ball out before the pressure could possibly get to him.

Maybe if they'd blitzed more, somehow they'd have turned things around, but I seriously doubt it. Brady is an MVP because he wants you to blitz him, and the times I specifically recall the Bears trying, Brady beat them.

The problem with blitzing a team like the Pats is that it usually doesn't work. The Blitz can sometimes get to the QB, but even when it does, a good QB like Brady is just sitting there waiting for you to blitz, because it opens up the field for the pass. A couple plays that I recall before they cut away were completions on plays where either the Bears did a serious blitz, i.e. sending Bowman or the LB's, or plays where the LB's hung up on a play-fake. They both turned into solid, easy completions for Brady, because he got the ball out before the pressure could possibly get to him.

Maybe if they'd blitzed more, somehow they'd have turned things around, but I seriously doubt it. Brady is an MVP because he wants you to blitz him, and the times I specifically recall the Bears trying, Brady beat them.

But wasn't Brady getting "solid, easy completions" when the Bears DIDN'T blitz as well?

The Jim Johnson, send the house, old Philadelphia Eagles defensive strategy may not have worked, but at least it's trying something instead of watching the defense get continually gutted with a butter knife.

But wasn't Brady getting "solid, easy completions" when the Bears DIDN'T blitz as well?

The Jim Johnson, send the house, old Philadelphia Eagles defensive strategy may not have worked, but at least it's trying something instead of watching the defense get continually gutted with a butter knife.

That's the issue though...sending extra people didn't get there, not sending extra people didn't get there...at some point, you have to say the players are just getting out-played.

There was nothing that could have been done coaching-wise once that game started to change things. It wasn't the scheme that killed the Bears yesterday. It was some combination of preparation and performance.

I could be totally wrong or missing something, but I think this team was bound to fail because it wasn't built for "Bear Weather". The offense was loosely built off the model of the greatest show on turf, which utilizes speed over size and preforming best in optimal conditions. A lot of that was negated due to the weather. The Patriots were able to use power to run over a smaller Bears defense and exploit the zone (as mentioned earlier it's harder to react.) It doesn't help when a bad line has to try to do their job when they can't keep their feet or when the QB is having an off day.

Guest TerraTor

we didnt start passing short, blitzing, etc. because that wasnt the game plan. And no matter what, Zombie wont change his plan whether the score is tied at half or 21-0 in the first quarter.

Why then do I recall seeing CB Blitzes and LB Blitzes happen?

Dont know if this is true as to why they didnt blitz but Tommy Harris(sire douche alot) said The bad weather affects the Bears defense more so then others because they are built around speed and it is hard to get traction in those conditions.

Dont know if this is true as to why they didnt blitz but Tommy Harris(sire douche alot) said The bad weather affects the Bears defense more so then others because they are built around speed and it is hard to get traction in those conditions.

whether or not that's true, doesn't mean that blitzes didn't happen. The ones that did happen, Brady just beat them.

yeah...you know my thoughts onour coaches!

The players came in too cocky I feel. These guys do need a beat down every now and then to keep them honest. They almost have as much swagger as the 85 team w/o the talent and heart to back it up...

Outcoached I got even before the game started, but outplayed to such an extent?!! WTF?!! I guess Url and Wooten were the only guys to show up yesterday.