Coach of the Year

CrackerDog

I know there are some huge Lovie haters here and, I myself, go nuts at some of his in-game management decisions. With that said, this team isn't big on talent anywhere but ST's and the last time I looked they were 11-4 and might secure a bye for the first round of the playoffs this weekend when and if they SWEEP the NFC North. This is something no team has done in a long, long time...

I wouldn't have thought of this but for the fact that someone mentioned Lovie on Mike and Mike yesterday as a strong contender for COTY honors. When you think about the coaching staff he's put together around him, the way he's managed all of those egos, the way he's brought Martz around to understanding what this team can/cannot do, it's hard not to give him credit for what he's obviously good at.

So, take it for what it's worth, Lovie won't ever win this board over for some of the things he's lousy at (time management, rah rah speeches, etc.) but you have to admit, given the significant issues this team has had to overcome this year, exceeding my wildest expectations, he's earned and deserves, at a minimum, a big attaboy.

Question now becomes what do the Bears do with his contract? It'll be an interesting off season.

Shades of Jauron...that's all I can think of. A coach who most dislike comes back in his contract year and the team pulls it together when things matter most, resulting in a dubious COY honor. Yes, I'm a Lovie hater. But I don't mind him as much when he surrounds himself with coaching talent (i.e. Martz, Tice, Marinelli). What I wish for, however, is a defensive mind that is outside of Lovie's wheel-house, one who comes from a different coaching family tree.

As for the "not big on talent" talk, I don't agree. There is a ton of talent on this team.

Contract? I predict an extension, which will be unfortunate because it will be an affirmation for Lovie telling him that nothing really needs to be changed. When, in fact, that isn't the truth.

Contract? I predict an extension, which will be unfortunate because it will be an affirmation for Lovie telling him that nothing really needs to be changed. When, in fact, that isn't the truth.

I think an extension is likely, but not certain at this point, because of the labor disputes. If that is settled early, the Bears may start talking about an extension but might drag their feet until mid-season to see how it is going. However, if there's a substantial portion of the season lost, the Bears are going to have to do something to make sure his contract doesn't run out.

Apples and oranges when comparing Jauron and Smith. And unfair on almost every count. The only similarity is they're both nice guys. That's it. Smith took this team to the Superbowl with Rex at QB. Say what you want about the Cover 2 but it continues to produce even with an aging group of LB's. Obviously having Peppers up there is more important than anything any coach is doing for the Bears right now...

But this team has been weak at OL for years and this year it looked like the Jeanie was finally out of the bottle. Then *Poof* the problem basically disappeared. The line isn't great now but they're doing much better at protecting Cutler and the running game just put up nice numbers against the JETS. Understand?

This team has little talent at WR and what they have was developed by these coaches.

This team has a mediocre to good RB, not great.

The DB's on this team looked to be a weakness going into the season. The Cover 2 helps them, IMO, look better than they are, by not singling them up too often. Peanut is practically a grandfather! :)

No, they aren't loaded with talent and they had what most thought was a killer schedule heading into the season. They beat the Packers and Vikings to the top of the division and most "experts" would say both of those teams seem to have more talent than the Bears pretty much at every position on the field outside LB and ST's.

I'm not going to waste a lot of time defending Lovie to all the haters. I did that for Angelo a few years back and now he's not exactly my favorite GM. Bringing in Cutler and Peppers were big recent wins but his drafting continues to be poor in the early rounds (when we have picks) and his ignoring the O Line has endangered our big arm. No, I'm not in love with Lovie either. He's not the fire-breather I prefer. But he's been successful with average talent and he's taken this team further than any other coach since Ditka. I think he deserves kudos for that and I'm big enough to say "Job well done." when it's obviously deserved.

I think an extension is likely, but not certain at this point, because of the labor disputes. If that is settled early, the Bears may start talking about an extension but might drag their feet until mid-season to see how it is going. However, if there's a substantial portion of the season lost, the Bears are going to have to do something to make sure his contract doesn't run out.

I agree. I expect them to drag it into the season next year unless the Bears go further than expected in the playoffs or what you said.

Shades of Jauron...that's all I can think of. A coach who most dislike comes back in his contract year and the team pulls it together when things matter most, resulting in a dubious COY honor. Yes, I'm a Lovie hater. But I don't mind him as much when he surrounds himself with coaching talent (i.e. Martz, Tice, Marinelli). What I wish for, however, is a defensive mind that is outside of Lovie's wheel-house, one who comes from a different coaching family tree.

As for the "not big on talent" talk, I don't agree. There is a ton of talent on this team.

I don't see how you can make the comparison. This would be the third time in his coaching tenure that he led the Bears to the playoffs. One of those years, he led them to the superbowl. I'd say he is a heck of a lot better than Jauron and is probably one of the more underappreciated head coaches in the league.

I think the guy in KC deserves it but Lovie is up there. I hate to say it but he got shit to work this year. The light bulb came on

I don't know that there was any real "Lightbulb came on" moments other than the offense and O-line sitting down during the Bye and figuring out what they could count on the O-line to do in terms of playcalling.

Lovie's schemes are still the ones you'd expect from him, the difference this year is that they have the horses. Last year, they lost Urlacher in the first half of the season and Pisa just about as fast. This year, they've got those 2, and they added Peppers along the line. That alone was going to make this team better.

Lovie's schemes are still the ones you'd expect from him, the difference this year is that they have the horses. Last year, they lost Urlacher in the first half of the season and Pisa just about as fast. This year, they've got those 2, and they added Peppers along the line. That alone was going to make this team better.

No question, we've been very lucky as to injuries, both on our team as well as the teams we've faced.

I agree if Lovie wins the COY than he deserves it. I think most of the board realize the pressure this staff has been under and could not of predicted this season going as well as it has gone thus far.

In my opinion it is very important to Cutler & company for this coaching staff to remain intact especially Martz and Tice. If signing Smith to an extension is a way to do this than I could accept that even though it would be great to see something new from the defensive scheme.

Another point is that the players seem to like to play for Smith. Look, we all miss the rants and in your face style like Ditka but ask Samurai Mike how that worked out in Frisco? The league is different than the 90's as the more players make the less they will put up with an abrasive style coach. It is a lot easier to replace a coach than franchise players; refer to the Broncos situation.

I think he is in the running, but others like Spagnuolo - STL, Morris - TB, Haley - KC will be in the mix for their teams improvements and Belichick and Reid will probably be in there too.

Spagnuolo- will win division with 8-8 record (1-15 last year +7 game swing w/Bradford)

Morris- missed playoffs 9-6 (3-13 last year +6 or 7 depending on Week 17)

Haley- 10-5 Had division lead since Week 1 (4-12 last year +6 or 7)

Lovie- 12-4 We will beat Packers (7-9 last year +5, 1st round bye)

Haley, IMO, will win COY, but I think Timlin, PIT, will be in there as well starting the season 3-1 w/o Roethlisberger and winning the division and a bye.

I don't see how you can make the comparison. This would be the third time in his coaching tenure that he led the Bears to the playoffs. One of those years, he led them to the superbowl. I'd say he is a heck of a lot better than Jauron and is probably one of the more underappreciated head coaches in the league.

The comparison is merely because of the timeline.

Both did well but still heard grumblings.

Both did poorly and got people fired up, calling for their firing.

Both pulled it together in the year they were expected to be fired, were consequently rumored for the COY, and then lined up a sweet contract extension because of it.

I agree if Lovie wins the COY than he deserves it. I think most of the board realize the pressure this staff has been under and could not of predicted this season going as well as it has gone thus far.

In my opinion it is very important to Cutler & company for this coaching staff to remain intact especially Martz and Tice. If signing Smith to an extension is a way to do this than I could accept that even though it would be great to see something new from the defensive scheme.

Another point is that the players seem to like to play for Smith. Look, we all miss the rants and in your face style like Ditka but ask Samurai Mike how that worked out in Frisco? The league is different than the 90's as the more players make the less they will put up with an abrasive style coach. It is a lot easier to replace a coach than franchise players; refer to the Broncos situation.

Agreed with the first part. I'd love to see Martz and Tice stick around. I believe they have done better than any coach on the staff, excluding the always excellent special teams.

The second part, however, is a reflection of the players not the coaches. The Ditka/Singletary mold should still work, but the players are more pampered, richer, more selfish, less devoted, and more willing to throw a guy under the bus if he makes them work hard in practice. The like Lovie because he's a friend. Like most things in life, the best option is probably somewhere in the middle.

I've let up on the gas pedal regarding my dislike of Smith. I amprobably still in a the minority that our success is more due to health and having good coordinators. But, I'm more than willing to give Smith his credit. I blame him when things are bad as he is the leader of this club, so justly so, I need to give him credit when things are going well. I am worried it's just health, luck and coordinators...but I have a glimmer of hope that Smith has learned something through all this and had improved as a coach. How we fare in the playoffs will be telling...

I think he is certainly in the running for COY. Other mentioned like Haley, or Morris...could also be huge considerations. Even Andy Reid.

I hope they chill on contract talks. I'd like to see the labor deal play out before giving Smith a boomer contract. He is under contract after all... And when we do give him a new contract, I'd like to see a moderate extention with some poetnetial out clauses.

I am happy...but weary. But also hopeful.

I know there are some huge Lovie haters here and, I myself, go nuts at some of his in-game management decisions. With that said, this team isn't big on talent anywhere but ST's and the last time I looked they were 11-4 and might secure a bye for the first round of the playoffs this weekend when and if they SWEEP the NFC North. This is something no team has done in a long, long time...

I wouldn't have thought of this but for the fact that someone mentioned Lovie on Mike and Mike yesterday as a strong contender for COTY honors. When you think about the coaching staff he's put together around him, the way he's managed all of those egos, the way he's brought Martz around to understanding what this team can/cannot do, it's hard not to give him credit for what he's obviously good at.

So, take it for what it's worth, Lovie won't ever win this board over for some of the things he's lousy at (time management, rah rah speeches, etc.) but you have to admit, given the significant issues this team has had to overcome this year, exceeding my wildest expectations, he's earned and deserves, at a minimum, a big attaboy.

Question now becomes what do the Bears do with his contract? It'll be an interesting off season.

I've let up on the gas pedal regarding my dislike of Smith. I amprobably still in a the minority that our success is more due to health and having good coordinators. But, I'm more than willing to give Smith his credit. I blame him when things are bad as he is the leader of this club, so justly so, I need to give him credit when things are going well. I am worried it's just health, luck and coordinators...but I have a glimmer of hope that Smith has learned something through all this and had improved as a coach. How we fare in the playoffs will be telling...

I think he is certainly in the running for COY. Other mentioned like Haley, or Morris...could also be huge considerations. Even Andy Reid.

I hope they chill on contract talks. I'd like to see the labor deal play out before giving Smith a boomer contract. He is under contract after all... And when we do give him a new contract, I'd like to see a moderate extention with some poetnetial out clauses.

Welcome to the "Lovie"bus

:dabears

Spagnuolo- will win division with 8-8 record (1-15 last year +7 game swing w/Bradford)

Morris- missed playoffs 9-6 (3-13 last year +6 or 7 depending on Week 17)

Haley- 10-5 Had division lead since Week 1 (4-12 last year +6 or 7)

Lovie- 12-4 We will beat Packers (7-9 last year +5, 1st round bye)

Haley, IMO, will win COY, but I think Timlin, PIT, will be in there as well starting the season 3-1 w/o Roethlisberger and winning the division and a bye.

You hit on the nose, Haley is my first choice then Morris. Lovey, Belicheck, Timlin all have all pro talent on their perspective teams. Haley , Morris , and Spags started with little.

These young coaches had the best team turn around. I give them kudos.

Pretty much right with you on this one, although I might be more inclined to emphasise the importance of the coordinators more, whom I bet Lovie was forced to accept.

Please don't give Smith a bit contract.....at least certainly not yet.

I am still not a Lovie fan. I truly hope that they don't extend him early. I'm warming to the potential of the team and agree its success is primarily due to health and weakness of the teams we have faced. The one coach that has made me eat it is Martz. He has changed when I thought it not possible and am looking forward to year two of this staff and scheme.

I am still not a Lovie fan. I truly hope that they don't extend him early. I'm warming to the potential of the team and agree its success is primarily due to health and weakness of the teams we have faced. The one coach that has made me eat it is Martz. He has changed when I thought it not possible and am looking forward to year two of this staff and scheme.

Agree. I don't think we should extend Lovie, but please, keep the staff intact for another year with the system.

If we do extend Lovie, I would also look at putting that in line with Urlachers contract. Lovies defense revolves alot out of the ability of Urlacher to take away the middle of the field. I would shoot him a 2-3 year extension, take it or leave it.

Good thought. The two are tied together. When/If Urlacher retires/leaves, it will come as no surprise when the defense gets worse. [big shock :rolleyes: ] His importance in this scheme was evident in last year's stats.

I think it'll be Todd Haley personally although I think Lovie should be heavily considered. None of us thought the Bears would be where they are at now a couple of months ago when training camp began. Lovie saved the season for us right after the Bye when he supposedly told Martz to start running the ball more. He should have done in weeks before that but still, Martz obliged and now we are running a much more effective offense. It's funny how this offense has evolved over the course of the season. We went to being a pass heavy unproductive offense, to a ball control offense that ran the ball and completed short passes down field, to a balanced yet deep passing offense. I think that are players are finally getting the hang of this offensive system. Weeks ago Dilfer was talking about how this Bears team would lose in the playoffs because of their inability to stretch the field. And over the past few weeks Cutler has been money on long bombs to Knox, thus stretching the field. And because of it, we have become quite a dynamic offense. Forte is starting to pick up steam at the right time, he seems to be getting more holes to run through as well.

This offensive line has also improved quite a bit since the beginning of the year. We went from the worst offensive line in the history of the NFL to just a below average one and in some cases, average. It is still a huge weakness on our team but as we saw last week they can stop a rush heavy defense like the Jets. The Jets were getting hardly any pressure at all on Jay Cutler which allows for those plays down the field to develop. If they play like they did last week in the playoffs we are going to be tough to stop on offense.