Vikings claim WR Juaquin Iglesias off of Bears Practice Squad

balta1701-A

The Vikings have signed Iglesias off the practice squad of the Chicago Bears today, the Chicago Tribune first reported, the final day teams can make such a move.

Iglesias has been on the Bears’ practice squad for the entire season. He was active for only one game as a rookie. The Bears drafted Iglesias 99th overall in the third round in ’09. The Bears are now without their top two draft picks from that year as defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert was one of the club’s final cuts in September.

The Vikings could be headed for turnover at wide receiver in the offseason. Veteran Bernard Berrian could be released in the offseason. Sidney Rice will be an unrestricted free agent.

Link

That would actually be a good move on our part. I know last year I didn't want to focus on WR given all the other needs we had. This offseason it's a little different for me because I think we need to add a big WR to compliment Knox, Hester, and Bennett. Rice shouldn't command a huge payday seeing that he's only had one good season in 2009 with Favre and he'll have to answer questions about his injury/surgery. Besides, this team is ready to compete in the playoffs and adding a rookie WR likely won't help that much so focus the early draft pick on a spot that can help...OG, DT, CB. We need someone at WR who can contribute now.

Good luck to the kid. He was hyped pretty good coming out of college. Either he didn't take the next step or they ust felt he wasn't as good as the others. Like to see him do enough to play, but not to win the Queens any games. :whip

Another example of how bad JA's drafting skills are in evaluating talent.

You are going to strike out every now and again. He blew the Iglesias pick but hit with both Bennett and Knox. The Gilbert pick was horrible but Melton looks like a stud.

Peace :dabears

You are going to strike out every now and again. He blew the Iglesias pick but hit with both Bennett and Knox. The Gilbert pick was horrible but Melton looks like a stud.

But he strikes out more than not. Jarron Gilbert and Juaquin Iglesias were both top picks that year for us. Granted 3rd rounders, but come on, there are still great players that get drafted in the late round and that's what GM's get paid for.

But he strikes out more than not. Jarron Gilbert and Juaquin Iglesias were both top picks that year for us. Granted 3rd rounders, but come on, there are still great players that get drafted in the late round and that's what GM's get paid for.

Benett was a 3rd rounder the year before Iglesias. Gilbert was a 3rd rounder the same year Melton was taken in the 4th round. I believe Moore was taken in the 4th round along with Melton. Knox was a 5th rounder.

So for the 2009 draft, Iglesias and Gilbert (3rd rounders) are both gone. 4th rounders Melton and Moore make significant contributions along with Knox.

I agree, overall Angelo has a below average draft record especially in the top 3 rounds. My opinion, however, is the coaching staff has done a piss poor job developing talent until recently.

Vikings fans call him "Cindy" Rice because he gets hurt when the wind blows on him the wrong way. If the Bears consider going after him I hope they evaluate that aspect and get comfortable he'll be healthy for us before they give him big money.

As to JA, his abilities in the later rounds have very clearly helped him overcome his shortfalls in the early part of the draft. My biggest problem with JA these days is his arrogance in ignoring obvious problems at OL for years and years.

Every GM strikes out more often than not.

And I'm going to throw out there that it wasn't really a 3rd round pick. It was an untradeable supplemental pick at #99.

The third round technically ends with pick #96. Because it can't be packaged to move up, or traded down for more picks, I don't consider it a 3rd round pick because the value in the 3rd round is, in my mind, to be able to move up or down to get a player you really like.

Also, the WR position was addressed with Bennett the year before and Iglesias and Knox that year in a shotgun approach. I don't think it really matters which picks work out as long as you can hit on 2 out of 3.

And what gives with the Vikings going after Bears WR's year after year? I mean, it isn't like we've been stacked at the position and yet the Queens feel the need to pluck guys off the Bears year after year. Frankly, I'm not sure any of them has really produced for them and they continue to do it.

Ah well, Chester Taylor didn't exactly provide "Alan Page" value either.

That would be understandable if he wasn't striking out so badly at the top of the draft. The third round has been a disaster.

Tom S.

That would be understandable if he wasn't striking out so badly at the top of the draft. The third round has been a disaster.

Tom S.

The Bears haven't had a #1 pick in 2 years now. Out of their last 5 years, they have their current starting Guard (struggles noted), their leader in receiving touchdowns in 2008, 2009, and tied for it in 2010 (Olsen), Jay Cutler, and a pick they traded to Buffalo that wound up netting then Daniel Manning.