Devin Hester

jason

Watching the highlight video of all his returns, and listening to Joniak make the Gale Sayers comparison, got me to thinking...

Is Devin Hester already a HOF Candidate? He has literally changed the game. To me, his impact is similar to Lawrence Taylor's. Because of LT, teams now teach the tomahawk chop for the ball, and teams put a premium on LTs. The game changed as a result of his play.

Can't the same be said of Hester? Has the game not changed when the Bears play? I have never seen teams purposely kick out of bounds to avoid a punt returner. I have never seen teams essentially give their opponents a 60 yard field on every kick off because the pooch is preferable to taking chances with the kick returner. Devin Hester is worth, potentially, hundreds of yards per game.

I am biased of course, but I think he is not only a HOF Candidate, but a near lock.

I too am biasses, but I also think YES!

He impacts so much. Even more so than Ray Guy, who I think also deserves to be in....as well as Morten Anderson.

ST's are being ignored.

Watching the highlight video of all his returns, and listening to Joniak make the Gale Sayers comparison, got me to thinking...

Is Devin Hester already a HOF Candidate? He has literally changed the game. To me, his impact is similar to Lawrence Taylor's. Because of LT, teams now teach the tomahawk chop for the ball, and teams put a premium on LTs. The game changed as a result of his play.

Can't the same be said of Hester? Has the game not changed when the Bears play? I have never seen teams purposely kick out of bounds to avoid a punt returner. I have never seen teams essentially give their opponents a 60 yard field on every kick off because the pooch is preferable to taking chances with the kick returner. Devin Hester is worth, potentially, hundreds of yards per game.

I am biased of course, but I think he is not only a HOF Candidate, but a near lock.

Absolutely not, imho, at least not at this point of his career. He's a great returner and poor WR(in HoF context), as apposed to a great returner in Deion Sanders who also was one of the best CB's ever.

Only special teams player made it into the hall so far that didn't contribute at a hall of fame level on offense and defense. It was a kicker. Hester will probably have to do a lot over the next 5 years of his career to even be in consideration if you ask me.

At this point, I think it would take a change in what voters deem HoF worthy, a push to get special team players in, or a very weak ballot for him to be in consideration.

I would say based on the way the HOF voting goes, Devin will have a hard time getting into the hall even if he continues this trend for a few years. Ray Guy, the best punter of all time, is not in the HOF. Steve Tasker, considered by many the best ST player of all time, is not in the HOF. I would absolutely vote yes for Hester if his career were to end to day but I think he will have a problem with the rest of the voters.

Peace :dabears

Let's not forget, chicks dig the long ball. And in terms of football, that's flashy scoring. Unlike Tasker and Guy, who I also think deserve to be in, Hester scores. Makes a big difference...

I think Hester gets in before pretty much any ST player barring the voters dislodging craniums from rectums and getting Guy in...

I would say based on the way the HOF voting goes, Devin will have a hard time getting into the hall even if he continues this trend for a few years. Ray Guy, the best punter of all time, is not in the HOF. Steve Tasker, considered by many the best ST player of all time, is not in the HOF. I would absolutely vote yes for Hester if his career were to end to day but I think he will have a problem with the rest of the voters.

Peace :dabears

Let's not forget, chicks dig the long ball. And in terms of football, that's flashy scoring. Unlike Tasker and Guy, who I also think deserve to be in, Hester scores. Makes a big difference...

I think Hester gets in before pretty much any ST player barring the voters dislodging craniums from rectums and getting Guy in...

I totally agree. How many points has Ray Guy put up? Steve Tasker? Hester creates scoring opportunities every time he steps on the field as a returner. Whether he takes it himself or the opposition kicks it short or out of bounds to keep it away from him. He is our field position. He impacts the game more than any other facet of our team.

he's also effected the way teams look at the draft and their own return games. Teams have seen what impact Hester can have on the game when he is back there returning kicks. And are looking for guys like him for their return game. The NFL is a copy cat league one team finds a golden nugget and soon everyone's looking for one.