Had Detroit won that game...

selection7

I'd have to check to see for sure, but it occured to me how fragile our position maybe really is. Had Detroit been given the win on that end zone catch at the beginning of the season, we finish with the same record as GB, meaning GB probably wins the tiebreaker and we have to get a wildcard, which we would have lost to NO's better record and the Giants who destroyed us head-to-head. In other words, that one call was the difference in us missing the playoffs/Lovie maybe losing his job and our sitting pretty against the Seahawks in Round2. A game of inches indeed.

Again, I'd have to check to see for sure because in that scenario, but GB and the Bears would have the same record, same record within the division, same record head-to-head, but GB would have had a better record in the NFC, meaning they win the division and we're out...I think. There's a lot of levels to the tiebreaker rules.

I'd have to check to see for sure, but it occured to me how fragile our position maybe really is. Had Detroit been given the win on that end zone catch at the beginning of the season, we finish with the same record as GB, meaning GB probably wins the tiebreaker and we have to get a wildcard, which we would have lost to NO's better record and the Giants who destroyed us head-to-head. In other words, that one call was the difference in us missing the playoffs/Lovie maybe losing his job and our sitting pretty against the Seahawks in Round2. A game of inches indeed.

Again, I'd have to check to see for sure because in that scenario, but GB and the Bears would have the same record, same record within the division, same record head-to-head, but GB would have had a better record in the NFC, meaning they win the division and we're out...I think. There's a lot of levels to the tiebreaker rules.

But we won and we're in. What if worms had machine guns...birds wouldn't f**k with them.

But we won and we're in. What if worms had machine guns...birds wouldn't f**k with them.

Eh...my realization isn't unimportant I think, if that's what you're suggesting. One of the more interesting thoughts that comes out of it is how overly litmus test we are with evaluating a coach's success based on playoffs. Reality is, all a coach can do is help the team win...it's everybody else that will determine whether you make the playoffs. You could go 12-4 and miss the playoffs. It also underscores the parity in the NFL. It's one thing to have one play determine whether you barely get the wildcard, but it pretty much blows my mind that one play can be the difference in missing playoffs and getting a cushy first week bye with nothing to play for in game16. It feels like there's other things to take from it too that I haven't put my finger on. I think it adds some entertaining drama to the season, and I'm in favor of that. I wouldn't call it unfair. If anything, the Seahawks taking down the Saints will quiet those people who want to do away with division wins = automatic playoff bid.

In your situation we are fighting to make the playoffs in the last week against GB and they are not. So they pulled out all the stops and threw everything at us while we sat back and said maybe we'll play hard but we're not showing everything in case we meet again. We don't know what happens in that scenario.

If anything, the Seahawks taking down the Saints will quiet those people who want to do away with division wins = automatic playoff bid.

That may be but it definitely will light the fire under a lower seeded team with a better record having to play an away game. Maybe nothing changes, but do you think the outcome would've been different if the game were in NO?

Yeah, but you can't just change one event (especially in the first game of the season) and not have anything else affected. The entire course of the season would've been changed.

Yeah, but you can't just change one event (especially in the first game of the season) and not have anything else affected. The entire course of the season would've been changed.

Exactly. Maybe Martz changes up the game plan sooner and we beat NYG, Sea and Wash. Things happen for a reason. We won, we're in. That's that.

Exactly. Maybe Martz changes up the game plan sooner and we beat NYG, Sea and Wash. Things happen for a reason. We won, we're in. That's that.

And I thought I was anti-dramatic almost to a fault. :rolleyes: Ok, you're not impressed, I get it. Your point above is a good one though. Of course it's not as simple as I made it seem. That doesn't meam it wasn't an fascinating ovservation though...in my opinion.