National Anthem

jason

Can someone who was there enlighten me on what was going on during the National Anthem?

Instead of it being hyped up, I thought it was pretty disrespectful for people to cheer during the National Anthem. Either sing along or STFU.

Maybe someone can change my perspective on this based upon what was actually going on at Soldier Field.

Can someone who was there enlighten me on what was going on during the National Anthem?

Instead of it being hyped up, I thought it was pretty disrespectful for people to cheer during the National Anthem. Either sing along or STFU.

Maybe someone can change my perspective on this based upon what was actually going on at Soldier Field.

It's the same effect as when they sing the Anthem at the Blackhawks game (yesterday was the same singer as well - Jim Cornelios (sp)). I believe the tradition in Chicago dates back to the first Gulf War. There was a Blackhawks game the day after war was declared and the crowd went crazy. I actually think it is very cool and is a great show of pride in our country.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Peace :dabears

It's the same effect as when they sing the Anthem at the Blackhawks game (yesterday was the same singer as well - Jim Cornelios (sp)). I believe the tradition in Chicago dates back to the first Gulf War. There was a Blackhawks game the day after war was declared and the crowd went crazy. I actually think it is very cool and is a great show of pride in our country.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But were they singing along with the National Anthem or just yelling and screaming? I couldn't really tell. If it's the former, then I think it's a show of pride; if it's the latter, then it's disrespectful. In my opinion, it shows that they are getting more hyped up for the game, and losing perspective about why the Anthem is played in the first place.

But were they singing along with the National Anthem or just yelling and screaming? I couldn't really tell. If it's the former, then I think it's a show of pride; if it's the latter, then it's disrespectful. In my opinion, it shows that they are getting more hyped up for the game, and losing perspective about why the Anthem is played in the first place.

Here is an article I found on it. Dates back to 1985. You've been to several Bears games. Haven't you heard this before? I can remember the yelling and screaming at non-playoff games as well (national broadcast games) and what you are hearing is yelling and screaming - not singing. I usually clap and don't yell and scream.

It doesn't bother me. I get pissed when someone doesn't remove their hat.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2009/3/17/...y-over-cheering

I was there and it was actually really cool. As Jim got more and more into it the crowd got louder. I personally was singing along. There was a good amount of people cheering. I have been to Hawk games and they do it every night. I didnt find it disrespectful at all. The only thing i found disrespectful was the amount of people not taking their hats off. Every year it seems more and more people are doing it. I actually have had to tell older men to take their hats off.

I didnt find anything wrong with it. I hope Lee Debitch doesnt sing and they bring Jim back!!! It was awesome.

Here is an article I found on it. Dates back to 1985. You've been to several Bears games. Haven't you heard this before? I can remember the yelling and screaming at non-playoff games as well (national broadcast games) and what you are hearing is yelling and screaming - not singing. I usually clap and don't yell and scream.

I wrote my last post before i read yours, the hat issue is getting worse and worse each year. I agree with you!

I wrote my last post before i read yours, the hat issue is getting worse and worse each year. I agree with you!

The fans are cheering for the country. I love the fact that no matter what, we can all agree that the US is great. Regardless of political affiliation, or any other nit picky crap we do on a daily basis, we love America and support that and the troops. I am a troop overseas, and it sends chills down my spine every Hawks game and now the Bears game. Whether it's Wayne Messmer at the '91 NHL All-Star Game or the '11 NFC Divisional playoff, I take it as 20+ years of good old American Pride delivered the Chicago Way.

I've been to several games for several sports, and there is always a spattering of folks in the stadium doing their own thing. I have never, however, heard such loud cheering/noise during the National Anthem as I did during the past weekend's game. Some cheering, clapping, etc, not a roaring crowd. I just don't think it's appropriate. The article somewhat supports my point of view (i.e. hand on heart and/or at attention with salute if in uniform). I suppose it has to do with the my military upbringing and time while serving. The code referenced in the article you provided mentioned the hat - which also bothers me - but also that the hand should be over the heart. If you get pissed at the hat thing, I'd think you would follow the rest and not clap.

I view the National Anthem as a time to A] Pay respect to the country and all for which it stands, and, B] Pay respect to the singer and the song. In my opinion, it's not a time to cheer. The author's justification for the actions just seems weak to me. This line really irritated me:

The solution - I clap, whistle and yell my heart out. When I'm cheering I feel I'm part of the song rather than a simple observer of a moment.

So, in other words, whatever that guy wants...regardless of what thousands and millions of others have done in the past.

BTW, this entire thread started because I thought it was a bit louder than normal, and a Seahawk friend of mine called and asked me if the Chicago fans always do that. I told him it's normal to hear some (like any stadium), but not nearly to that level.

The fans are cheering for the country. I love the fact that no matter what, we can all agree that the US is great. Regardless of political affiliation, or any other nit picky crap we do on a daily basis, we love America and support that and the troops. I am a troop overseas, and it sends chills down my spine every Hawks game and now the Bears game. Whether it's Wayne Messmer at the '91 NHL All-Star Game or the '11 NFC Divisional playoff, I take it as 20+ years of good old American Pride delivered the Chicago Way.

Do you really think the fans are cheering for the country? As a member of the military, it kind of surprises me that you feel this way.

I've been to several games for several sports, and there is always a spattering of folks in the stadium doing their own thing. I have never, however, heard such loud cheering/noise during the National Anthem as I did during the past weekend's game. Some cheering, clapping, etc, not a roaring crowd. I just don't think it's appropriate. The article somewhat supports my point of view (i.e. hand on heart and/or at attention with salute if in uniform). I suppose it has to do with the my military upbringing and time while serving. The code referenced in the article you provided mentioned the hat - which also bothers me - but also that the hand should be over the heart. If you get pissed at the hat thing, I'd think you would follow the rest and not clap.

I view the National Anthem as a time to A] Pay respect to the country and all for which it stands, and, B] Pay respect to the singer and the song. In my opinion, it's not a time to cheer. The author's justification for the actions just seems weak to me. This line really irritated me:

The solution - I clap, whistle and yell my heart out. When I'm cheering I feel I'm part of the song rather than a simple observer of a moment.

So, in other words, whatever that guy wants...regardless of what thousands and millions of others have done in the past.

BTW, this entire thread started because I thought it was a bit louder than normal, and a Seahawk friend of mine called and asked me if the Chicago fans always do that. I told him it's normal to hear some (like any stadium), but not nearly to that level.

If you have ever been to a Blackhawks' game, it's even louder. Like someone stated in the post already, it started with the Blackhawks as a way to show patriotism. I don't think it's any different that flying a flag outside your home or a patriotic bumper sticker, or voting on AFN so an active duty Bear fan can see the game while serving overseas.

Do you really think the fans are cheering for the country? As a member of the military, it kind of surprises me that you feel this way.

I truly do. It's just a way to show patriotism. I actually enjoy it because it shows that we are getting support back home. I take it as cheering for me and my fellow brothers serving the greatest country on earth.

I truly do. It's just a way to show patriotism. I actually enjoy it because it shows that we are getting support back home. I take it as cheering for me and my fellow brothers serving the greatest country on earth.

Jason,

I can see your point about the crowd cheering for the game and not for the National Anthem. Me personally I get fired up when it is being sung because of what it means to me about this great country. I try to look at the good in this situation and that the fans are cheering for the song and not the game.

I actually wouldn't mind them bringing in Chris Daughtry I thought he did a good job with the anthem in the the 2006/07 NFC Championship game.

My biggest thing about the national anthem is I prefer it be sung straight without a lot of extra frills. Always felt it should be sung with seriousness and respect. Some people in my opinion butcher it and alter it. Maybe I'm too much of a purist. lol

I actually wouldn't mind them bringing in Chris Daughtry I thought he did a good job with the anthem in the the 2006/07 NFC Championship game.

My biggest thing about the national anthem is I prefer it be sung straight without a lot of extra frills. Always felt it should be sung with seriousness and respect. Some people in my opinion butcher it and alter it. Maybe I'm too much of a purist. lol

It's official...Lee Dewyze. Eccchhh

As deployed servicemember watching the game with about 200 others at 10pm at night in the middle of the desert, most thought it was pretty cool. If they were cheering for the game, they could do that anytime before the game starts, so by doing it during the anthem, they are cheering for the anthem and the support for the country. The Hawks have done this forever and it has never been seen as disrespectful. I personally would not be cheering during it, but I am also not offended by others doing it.

I also believe the only two requirements for civilians are to stand and remove hats to honor the flag. Nothing says they can't sing along or cheer.

Here is another article about it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl-308250

and link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BCPymjGI4...player_embedded

I guess I'm surprised by the answers in this thread. My experiences - and a quick, informal, unanimous office pool - are in direct opposition of what you guys have said here.

Jason

I served 23 years in the Army. At first I found it the same as you. But it is unique to Chicago sports. As a former Chicagoian I find the initial reason very cool. But after hearing it so many times, it does grow kinda old on ya.

Still gives me chills and I saw it live!!!

The anthem at a Hawks game is an amazing experience and not to be missed. The fans are absolutely cheering FOR the country and our servicemen. This has been a tradition for so long I can't believe a Chicago fan would question it. It doesn't typically happen at Bears games but they brought in the same singer they use at the Hawks games and it really brought the house down. My sister was at the game and said it was outstanding and then the fireworks and flyover made it all that much more.

This is part of being a Chicago fan now. Back in the day, I felt the same way Jason does but I came around once I understood the whole thing.

I flippin' hate De-Waste...

But I hope the fans do not boo before he sings (or whatever his screaching is called). The Natl (ESPN) press will have a field day with it as "boorish Bears fans boo Idol guy..." Forget the singer, think of the song.

I honestly wish we could get him back too...or have Buddy Guy play it on guitar. Something better! De-Waste is simply a Fox move to plug American Idol. But, if it is, take the high road Bears fans...

I was there and it was actually really cool. As Jim got more and more into it the crowd got louder. I personally was singing along. There was a good amount of people cheering. I have been to Hawk games and they do it every night. I didnt find it disrespectful at all. The only thing i found disrespectful was the amount of people not taking their hats off. Every year it seems more and more people are doing it. I actually have had to tell older men to take their hats off.

I didnt find anything wrong with it. I hope Lee Debitch doesnt sing and they bring Jim back!!! It was awesome.

You take on this seems to be very positive and genuine. I wasn't sure how it is perceived, but you're take has me thinking positive as well.

It's time to dwell on the good...and leave the bad and ugly to the Packers.

I really wouldn't care either way. It's a stadium, there is no way to control thousands of people in a building. There going to do what they want. For example, I heard during the CBS broadcast of the Pats Jets game you could hear someone as plain as day yell "F.UCK YOU CROMARTIE!" while the National Anthem was going on. Now THAT is disrespectful.

I look at this in two distinct ways. First and foremost this is the song for our Country that we have all learned and expect are various events that we attend. It stands about who the People of the United States are and shows more about our Freedom that we all enjoy thanks to our military. Second it is a way of basically announcing that the sporting event in particular is about to start and it is time to get ready to support our team. The way things are at the United Center for the Blackhawks has been dissed by media writers from other Cities where the fans do not get as excited.

The Blackhawks recently had Salvatore Guinta who is a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army and is the only currently active military personnel who received the highest honor in the military, the Medal of Honor for his heroism in the Afghanistan War was impressed by what took place. SSGT Guinta had chills running up and down his spine at how excited that the Blackhawks, Blackhawks Fans were towards the anthem and the troops who so bravely serve our country. To me this is the best endorsement that we as fans are able to receive for getting even louder than normally we would otherwise during the singing of the National Anthem.

I got a thrill out of being at the Blackhawk games that I have attended this year and it made me happy that Jim Cornelison was brought in for the Divisional Playoff Game to sing the Anthem. It must have gotten people more fired up then normal having Cornelison there and hope that Cornelison or another of Chicago's famous singers performs this Sunday as well. The other thing I noticed as well and it sickens me more is that there is, as others have mentioned, more and more people not removing their hats off for the National Anthem. That to me is a lot more disrespectful versus fans getting extra vocal for the National Anthem.

If it's good enough for this guy, it's good enough for me. I love the tradition.

"To be able to stand on the ice and hear the national anthem ... and hear the reaction of the crowd and feel the rumble and see the America flag just waving in all of its glory at the top of the stadium was truly incredible," said Giunta, one of 87 Medal of Honor recipients still living.

This is one tradition that Chicago fans can feel good about maintaining -- believe it when a hero tells you so. Link

Also, it has been reported that General Norman Schwarzkopf showed tapes of the anthem to the troops at the start of the gulf war. It is definitely a "to each his own" kind of thing, but to me it is a celebration of this great country and if you never experienced it, it's indescribable.