National Anthem

jason

Over the years I have heard some of the various controversial versions of the National Anthem on both the local and national stage from Jimi Hendrix wailing version at Woodstock to this most recent display during the divisional playoff Sunday at Soldier's Field and I have to tell you honestly that I was ready to go through the TV and put on some pads. I knew this singer was the the one who performs during Hawk games and thought he was great the way he acknowledge the flag while singing and then the fireworks and fly-over sealed the deal for me. As the cameras panned the crowd some were singing and some were cheering. Both seemed to be enjoying the moment.

BTW- I am extremely "Old School" and I still take my hat or cap off in restaurants when I'm going to sit down and eat. I look around and there are guys sitting there with hats or caps on so that irks me. Lets face it its 2011 and things are not the way they used to be. I remember starting each school day with The Pledge of Allegiance and sing My Country Tears of Thee when I was a kid so if you are like me a lot of what goes on today is irritating.

The national anthem, being there live, was f***ing awesome. Cornelison does this before every Blackhawks game and the crowd reacts the same way. It's so popular now because of the rebirth of the Blackhawks especially. Cornelison has sung before 2 or 3 other Bears game this year too. It's incredible.

It's the same effect as when they sing the Anthem at the Blackhawks game (yesterday was the same singer as well - Jim Cornelios (sp)). I believe the tradition in Chicago dates back to the first Gulf War. There was a Blackhawks game the day after war was declared and the crowd went crazy. I actually think it is very cool and is a great show of pride in our country.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Peace :dabears

That's the way I saw it as well. BTW - me and my family thought it was awesome. (Dad served in the Army and brother in the Marines) Glad he's singing again and am looking forward to it! Go Bears!!!

I suppose not if your wearing a turban or getting dissed by Aaron Rodgers. You should stand and if you are a male, remove your hat.

I would but I'm with Lemon I take my hat off if sitting at a table hell I don't like people wearing hats indoors

There is still going to be that old school way of thinking but i see no problem wearing a hat indoors, outdoors, wherever the hell i want. Yes I believe it should be taken off during the anthem but why does it matter in most other situations...

And why does this apply to only men? I guess it was just something that Americans conjured up in the past...Like how some asians cultures believe wearing shoes inside is a sign of disrespect.

This I DEFINITELY disagree with.

I'd have been pissed at the hats for a normal game, but here there's a bit of self-preservation involved. The temp's projected to be in single digits with the lake-front wind and snow. It wouldn't have been a big deal to take the damn balaclava's off, but I'll give them a pass when it's that damn cold.

Watching it on TV, I teared up with patriotism when Jim Cornelison belted out, "and our flag was still there . . . " followed by a long shot of the flag. As a middle-school administrator, I supervise athletic events where the anthem is played nightly and it's easy to forget the significance.

I'd compare Jim Cornelison's version to the 4th of July. It's not a quiet respectful tribute to the country but a loud boistrous celebration of the USA. I loved it.

And why does this apply to only men?

The reason it doesn't apply to women, is because at the time it became common place, women's hats were harder to get off and on. They were more likely to have pins holding them on, flowers, and so for. It was seen as more of a costume.

Guys on the other hand, it supposedly goes back to the knights and filtered down. They would raise their visor with their right hand, showing that one they didn't have a weapon, and opening their visor left a place to strike. They would often do it when they were around the king, to show a sign of submission. It filtered down to farmers taking their hat off, to show submission to people "greater" than them.

My argument on why people shouldn't have to take their hat off is un-Bears related, so I won't post it here. Maybe in the other forums if someone feels the need. Sorry, to the other poster, I am not in the taliban. I'm actually patriotic and very supportive of the troops.

I'd have been pissed at the hats for a normal game, but here there's a bit of self-preservation involved. The temp's projected to be in single digits with the lake-front wind and snow. It wouldn't have been a big deal to take the damn balaclava's off, but I'll give them a pass when it's that damn cold.

Lovie had his hat and headphones off... And he's bald. I'm just sayin'.

And I have to agree that when the singer sang "...and our flag was still there..." then pointed towards the flag was an awesome gesture.

The reason it doesn't apply to women, is because at the time it became common place, women's hats were harder to get off and on. They were more likely to have pins holding them on, flowers, and so for. It was seen as more of a costume.

Guys on the other hand, it supposedly goes back to the knights and filtered down. They would raise their visor with their right hand, showing that one they didn't have a weapon, and opening their visor left a place to strike. They would often do it when they were around the king, to show a sign of submission. It filtered down to farmers taking their hat off, to show submission to people "greater" than them.

My argument on why people shouldn't have to take their hat off is un-Bears related, so I won't post it here. Maybe in the other forums if someone feels the need. Sorry, to the other poster, I am not in the taliban. I'm actually patriotic and very supportive of the troops.

I appreciate your support of the troops but you should still remove your hat. It's a show of respect to this country and our flag and everything it stands for. This forum, this team, and even this discussion would not even be happening if it was in some supressed third world country. We would be fighting for a few grains of rice and travelling miles for clean water. Where as in this country, we walk to the sink in 2 or 3 different rooms and sit on the couch watching the Beloved Bear overeating and cheering for them. We should show respect to our country the way it has been throughout time and take off your hat.

It's story time fellas, a few years back, I went to see boxing in St Louis when I was stationed there. Before the fights, they sang the national anthem and one of the guys I went with didn't stand. I told him to get up. The reason he didn't stand was because he spilled a little beer on his pants. I told him, I didn't care if he pissed and shyt all over himself, you stand and show respect to your country and flag. By him not standing felt disrespectful to me as a memebr of the armed forces and that's how I feel about men not removing their hats, caps, babushkas, leather, helmets, foam bear heads, or even cheese. Show respect and remove them. They even ask you before the song in case you've forgotten.

To add some levity...if I didn't stand everytime I pissed on myself w/ some errant stream my legs would atrophy!

I appreciate your support of the troops but you should still remove your hat. It's a show of respect to this country and our flag and everything it stands for. This forum, this team, and even this discussion would not even be happening if it was in some supressed third world country. We would be fighting for a few grains of rice and travelling miles for clean water. Where as in this country, we walk to the sink in 2 or 3 different rooms and sit on the couch watching the Beloved Bear overeating and cheering for them. We should show respect to our country the way it has been throughout time and take off your hat.

It's story time fellas, a few years back, I went to see boxing in St Louis when I was stationed there. Before the fights, they sang the national anthem and one of the guys I went with didn't stand. I told him to get up. The reason he didn't stand was because he spilled a little beer on his pants. I told him, I didn't care if he pissed and shyt all over himself, you stand and show respect to your country and flag. By him not standing felt disrespectful to me as a memebr of the armed forces and that's how I feel about men not removing their hats, caps, babushkas, leather, helmets, foam bear heads, or even cheese. Show respect and remove them. They even ask you before the song in case you've forgotten.