Soldier Field

jason

The Bears may have home advantage when it comes to the crowd and the weather (against some), but they certainly don't have home "field" advantage. So far this year, at least the following people have ripped the garbage turf:

-Cutler: "...worst field in the league..."

-Urlacher: "The footing at Soldier Field has been horrible."

-Olsen: ""You don't have to be a scientist to know that grass doesn't grow in these conditions. It is what it is." (In other words, "WTF can I do about it? No reason to complain.")

-Desmond Clark: "...cow pasture...one of the worst fields in the NFL and there are no excuses why the Chicago Bears, of all teams, should have to play on such a bad surface."

Even opponents!

-Greg Jennings: "It's rough. It's probably one of the worst, probably the worst, in the league."

If that isn't reason enough for responsible parties to make changes, then consider the Bears team speed on offense (three WRs with sub-4.4 forties), and a defensive scheme built for speed. It's pretty clear that Peppers had worse stats at home than away. What's more, the Bears have allowed an average of 22.7 points in nine home games this season, but 13.3 in road games.

This weekend is probably a toss-up in regards to the field (both teams are fast), but I just hope the slips happen the same way they did against the Seahawks (i.e. they fall, the Bears don't).

The thing I don't understand, however, is why we never hear about the grass at Lambeau. Isn't it just as cold, if not colder, up there? Must be the blend they use.

The Bears may have home advantage when it comes to the crowd and the weather (against some), but they certainly don't have home "field" advantage. So far this year, at least the following people have ripped the garbage turf:

-Olsen: ""You don't have to be a scientist to know that grass doesn't grow in these conditions. It is what it is." (In other words, "WTF can I do about it? No reason to complain.")

-Desmond Clark: "...cow pasture...one of the worst fields in the NFL and there are no excuses why the Chicago Bears, of all teams, should have to play on such a bad surface."

Even opponents!

-Greg Jennings: "It's rough. It's probably one of the worst, probably the worst, in the league."

If that isn't reason enough for responsible parties to make changes, then consider the Bears team speed on offense (three WRs with sub-4.4 forties), and a defensive scheme built for speed. It's pretty clear that Peppers had worse stats at home than away. What's more, the Bears have allowed an average of 22.7 points in nine home games this season, but 13.3 in road games.

This weekend is probably a toss-up in regards to the field (both teams are fast), but I just hope the slips happen the same way they did against the Seahawks (i.e. they fall, the Bears don't).

The thing I don't understand, however, is why we never hear about the grass at Lambeau. Isn't it just as cold, if not colder, up there? Must be the blend they use.

Lambeau has the natural grass/turf blend.

I interviewed an employee of Field Turf (I write for a local paper). Field Turf has aboud 70% of the sythetic surface market. He is their regional sales rep and said the Bears were very close last year to agreeing to make the change.

Peace :dabears

Lambeau has the natural grass/turf blend.

I interviewed an employee of Field Turf (I write for a local paper). Field Turf has aboud 70% of the sythetic surface market. He is their regional sales rep and said the Bears were very close last year to agreeing to make the change.

Peace :dabears

Lambeau has real grass with a turf blend? Any way you can explain that? I thought there was turf made to feel like grass or real grass. I didnt know there was a blend of both.

It's still an advantage. We've played on it at least 11 times this season. 8 regular games. 2 pre-season games and one post season game. We know it well. it may be putrid, but we know it.

The Pack come in once a year and experience it. And this year, they got it early when it wasn't at it's worst.

Advantage Bears...

Even opponents!

It's still an advantage. We've played on it at least 11 times this season. 8 regular games. 2 pre-season games and one post season game. We know it well. it may be putrid, but we know it.

The Pack come in once a year and experience it. And this year, they got it early when it wasn't at it's worst.

Advantage Bears...

Definitely our advantage. Our field sucks but it's our. Just like that '77 Dodge Dart that you drive to work, yeah it sucks, but it's yours. (Not you Lith, generally speaking)

Man, I wish I had a '77 Daodge Dart! My old man had one when I grew up...I think it was a 73 or 75...and it had muscle! He sold it the moment I hit 16! I've always had a soft spot for the Dodge Dart Demon!

But, exactly! You know the car and what it takes to make it work. Someone else may be able to get it, but not as well.

Definitely our advantage. Our field sucks but it's our. Just like that '77 Dodge Dart that you drive to work, yeah it sucks, but it's yours. (Not you Lith, generally speaking)

In that article it lists Pit as one of the NFL teams that have that turf. I thought Pitt had a horrible field as well?

I'm guessing Lambeau has just the Packers play there? Pittsburg, Pitt & High sc=hool champioships are played in Pitt. Maybe has something to do with it

I'm guessing Lambeau has just the Packers play there? Pittsburg, Pitt & High sc=hool champioships are played in Pitt. Maybe has something to do with it

And at our place we have High School, Concerts, Soccer and all kinds of other crap. The Chicago Park District needs to realize who the bread winner at Soldier Field is and spend a little cash to get our field right.