Offseason thoughts

Bears4Ever_34

So the season is over for us now, onto the offseason already. Aside from the obvious (Drafting offensive lineman) what else do you think the Bears need to improve the offense and defense for next season? Two things for me. One, a true #1 receiver-- easier said then done, but without one you can never be a truly consistent offense throwing the football. As far as I'm concerned, Earl Bennett is really the only one I somewhat trust at catching the ball.

Secondly, there's a free agent out there that will be demanding a ton of money and goes by the name of Andy Asumugha (sp!!). You know, the guy from Oakland. I don't know where the Bears are at financially like I do with the NBA but if they have the money you have to sign this guy. I know there are people that will disagree because our defense doesn't suit to Asumugha's strengths but when you have the opportunity to add another game changer to your defense, you do it! Peppers might have one or two pro bowl seasons left in him, adding a shut down corner would make this defense that much better.

Thirdly, I want the Bears to find a sleeper at RB later in the draft, someone with pure speed and shiftiness. Chester Taylor is not the answer as your backup RB, too similar to Forte. The Bears need to get back to that dual RB system that they had late in 06 with Jones and Benson.

There are alot of areas we could look to this offseason. The defensive tackle position is another one that needs upgraded. The only way this defense works well is if you have a dominator inside to get pressure on the quarterback. The one thing the Quarterback hates the most is when he's getting pressured in the middle. It will be interesting to see how this offseason unfolds.

We're in a weird situation that we have an old dominating defense and a young & mostly bad offense. Considering we made it to the NFC championship, we're likely to hope our offense develops and our defense doesn't go to hell. Top priorities:

1. WR--Johnnie Knox was our top WR & he's terrible. He causes way to many interceptions. He's a slot receiver and no more.

2. DT--We have to get a better push up the middle

3. O-line--What's weird is who do we replace?

Johnny Knox sucks. He can't go up and make a catch or prevent an INT to save his own life. Hester would've had 2 more catches and about 80 more yards + a TD today but Cutler over threw him twice. Aromashodu can go away so I can stop hearing about how great he is. Bennett is solid.

The Bears need help on the OL. Kreutz just sucks and Chris Williams couldn't block me. Omiyale and Webb have made strides but Omiyale should have a competition for LT in the offseason and if he loses, cut his a$$ and his $6.6m/year salary. Webb should be given the benefit of the doubt being a 7th round RT from a small school.

DT is a huge, underrated need. Anthony Adams is flat out bad and Tommie Harris needs to be sent packing ASAP.

Oh, and Tim Jennings is garbage and got absolutely killed today.

If the Bears have the money to play the FA market, Vincent Jackson and Logan Mankins fill major holes.

Hanie is the #2. Draft a qb to develop.

Knox will never be better than a good #2 receiver and Hester should be the #4 receiver. Bennett is your #3 so you must go get a #1 receiver.

Upgrade both lines. Tommie can go (too much money).

Get Menkins and Jackson if possible.

Peace :dabears

Guest TerraTor

trade Jay Cutler for a 30pack of pabst. Id rather puke after the beer. This guy is an ass and plays with no heart or passion... Fugg him and the entire coaching staff besides tice.

Knox will never be better than a good #2 receiver and Hester should be the #4 receiver. Bennett is your #3 so you must go get a #1 receiver.

IMO, Bennett's by far the best WR of the group. We should at least consider drafting a first round talent.

Upgrade both lines. Tommie can go (too much money).

I wonder if we could get him to restructure. He did have a nice end of the season push and his skill-set is perfect for what the Bears are trying to do. I'm just wondering who we could replace him with . . .

Get Menkins and Jackson if possible.

I was shocked when the report came out that the Bears weren't even in the top 10 in spending this season. We made a huge splash and heavily front-loaded deals so we should be in good shape again.

Aside from the obvious first three things that need to be addressed - which are OL, OL, and OL - I'd like to see the following:

5] Sod replaced at Soldier Field. It costs the Bears numerous plays every year, numerous big plays. There have been far too many times the Bears' player has fallen down and the play hurt the Bears.

4] Draft a legit developmental QB. Either that, or pick up a solid vet QB. Someone like, oh, I don't know, Jeff Garcia, the guy I wanted very early in the year.

3] Target Logan Mankins as FA #1.

2] Target Vincent Jackson as FA #2. If that doesn't work out, try to get either TO or Randy Moss.

1] Go after Dick LeBeau. I know it's a pipe dream, but after hearing that his contract is up after this year, it'd be a dream come true. Call him assistant coach or whatever, but get him. Adding his pedigree would A] Improve the defense, B] Maximize the team's defensive speed, and C] Allow the Bears to eschew drafting a DT, because it would rejuvinate Tommie Harris' career

Aside from the obvious first three things that need to be addressed - which are OL, OL, and OL - I'd like to see the following:

5] Sod replaced at Soldier Field. It costs the Bears numerous plays every year, numerous big plays. There have been far too many times the Bears' player has fallen down and the play hurt the Bears.

4] Draft a legit developmental QB. Either that, or pick up a solid vet QB. Someone like, oh, I don't know, Jeff Garcia, the guy I wanted very early in the year.

2] Target Vincent Jackson as FA #2. If that doesn't work out, try to get either TO or Randy Moss.

1] Go after Dick LeBeau. I know it's a pipe dream, but after hearing that his contract is up after this year, it'd be a dream come true. Call him assistant coach or whatever, but get him. Adding his pedigree would A] Improve the defense, B] Maximize the team's defensive speed, and C] Allow the Bears to eschew drafting a DT, because it would rejuvinate Tommie Harris' career

I'm a bigger fan of the 3-4 scheme than I am the 4-3 because I think it's alot tougher to prepare for and allows for more creativity. With that being said, Lovie is not going to fire Maraneli and even if he did he wouldn't go after a guy that doesn't run his queer ass Cover 2 scheme. Mankins is a must and when you pair him with a 1st round offensive lineman that hopefully isn't Chris Williams we get a ton better up front. Vincent Jackson would be that #1 guy we need and is a big target that could thrive off Cutler's arm. I'm on the Asomugha bandwagon because I don't want to see Tim Jennings back there next year but I'd hope we can get atleast 2 of the 3, not likely though.. If we can't get Jackson I'd probably take my chances on T.O. He atleast gives you the threat of someone that can take over a game. He keeps himself in good shape too so age isn't really a concern and I'm sure it would only be a 1 or 2 year contract.

We're in a weird situation that we have an old dominating defense and a young & mostly bad offense. Considering we made it to the NFC championship, we're likely to hope our offense develops and our defense doesn't go to hell. Top priorities:

1. WR--Johnnie Knox was our top WR & he's terrible. He causes way to many interceptions. He's a slot receiver and no more.

2. DT--We have to get a better push up the middle

3. O-line--What's weird is who do we replace?

All of them

The front office has in the past shown the propensity of drafting defense and targeting offense in the free agent pool. I like the idea of Mankins and Jackson in free agency. I can't wait to hear what the injury to cutler was. I played old timer weekend football with a taped up acl/mcl tear, so I can't imagine what the injury could be. I am against drafting a qb to develop. There are plenty of re-treads, and before anyone freaks out about having somebodies cast off, remember Kurt Warner was a cast off behind Leinart. Alex Smith has already been in a martz system.

No on Smith , Ill take Cutler and Hanie and draft or sign another FA out of college. As for O line, I dont care how they do it, just get 2 guards, 1 that can play center and a left tackle. Make em live together for the off season and then we may have O line that can keep Cutler in the game.

I live in Denver, and Champ Bailey is a FA and is on record of saying that right now winning is a priority and that he would even like to move to safety to extend his career. Why not get Champ, Asumough, Vincent Jackson, Mankins and possibly

take a flyer on Haynesworth. Then draft OL and some other depth players.

I agree we also can't keep waiting on replacing Olin Kruetz. Getting a player who's a leader, can make the right calls, center the ball well, AND block his man well might not be easy...but it'll be even harder if we find ourselves in dire need of one right away because we didn't plan for the future. I also think it would be beneficial to let the guy get to play with Olin to learn from him.

I wouldn't be too hard on Tim Jennings. He's a rookie. He's supposed to play the way he played today. Had he not been starting and making plays earlier in the season (though incosistent, true), we wouldn't have elevated expectations for him. We can't just keep starting rookies then cutting them next season because they play like rookies. Also, our D only allowed 14 points, so he had to be doing something right on the many plays where we didn't notice him.

I agree we also can't keep waiting on replacing Olin Kruetz. Getting a player who's a leader, can make the right calls, center the ball well, AND block his man well might not be easy...but it'll be even harder if we find ourselves in dire need of one right away because we didn't plan for the future. I also think it would be beneficial to let the guy get to play with Olin to learn from him.

I wouldn't be too hard on Tim Jennings. He's a rookie. He's supposed to play the way he played today. Had he not been starting and making plays earlier in the season (though incosistent, true), we wouldn't have elevated expectations for him. We can't just keep starting rookies then cutting them next season because they play like rookies. Also, our D only allowed 14 points, so he had to be doing something right on the many plays where we didn't notice him.

Jennings is not a rookie. He played a few years for Indy prior to joining us.

Peace :dabears

Sold.

He only other thing I'd add is a real FB. This BS w/ Manumalauesless this past season was a joke. We need a bulldozer, not a matador.

1. won't happen due to Rod being a big Smith buddy. I can stomach the same crew for another season and hope for something good. But, please, no extentions yet.

Guest TerraTor

Funny but true.....

1. Fire Martz

2. Literally push Todd Collins out the door, Forte can throw farther than him

3. Cut Major Wright

In all seriousness...

1. Need a playmaker in the secondary, they wont get Asomuhaugh, so who knows

2. If there is a Guard available, dont care what it costs, sign him

3. DRAFT A REAL OFFENSIVE TACKLE with no bullshit gambles. Chris Williams is god awful

4. Replace Kreutz or get ready to

5. #1 Wide Reciever... Bennett is a #2 and hester we all know will never be above average.

6. Gotta end this gap rusher DT scheme. Get a hog in the middle

In terms of other WR's...there's a reason why Owens, Ochocinco, and Moss won what, 5 games that they played in this season between them, 3 of which were the Patriots with Moss?

I'd rather run Omiyale out there at WR than sign Moss.

What reason is that?

Bengals

The Bengals were 4-12. Lost most of their games close, and played in a brutal division with Pitt, Balt, and the up-and-coming Browns.

Owens: 72 catches, 983yds, 9 TDs...in 14 games.

Ochocinco: 67 catches, 831yds, 4 TDs...in 14 games.

The Bengals lost because Palmer threw 20 INTs, their turnover differential was one of the worst in the league, Benson had a mediocre year running the ball, and their defense was in the bottom half of the league.

Moss

He put up 5 TDs even though he was only used the first half of the year. Once he got to TN, and became part of the circus there, he didn't have a chance. When there is someone on your team who upstages Randy Moss on the field and in the media for a stretch of 8 games, then there are some serious problems.

The Bengals lost because Palmer threw 20 INTs, their turnover differential was one of the worst in the league, Benson had a mediocre year running the ball, and their defense was in the bottom half of the league.

It was actually remarkable to see Carson Palmer once Owens and 85 were out of the way. He came in not having to get the ball to people and dropped 4 TD's on the Chargers in a game the Chargers needed to win.