Manning to test FA

madlithuanian

Guest TerraTor
It will be a mistake to let him go, I hope we keep him. If they would let the guy play the FS position for a year or so more he could be a great one IMO.

The guy has no football talent whatsoever....

Seems like a nearly unanimous concensus.

For all his speed, athletic ability, and talents, the guy doesn't have superior FS instincts, takes bad angles, and isn't as sure of a tackler as I'd like. That is reason enough to let him go and allow Major Wright the shot. The fact that he takes away kickoff return duties from Hester periodically is icing on the cake.

Plus, I never liked his feminine name. See ya.

So does this mean we will be drafting a safety?

This is what I'm worried about. Manning played decently this year (although "decent strong safety" is pretty disappointing value from a high second-round pick who was supposed to replace Mike Brown) and he's relatively durable. He's nothing special outside of kick returns, but if he goes, we have PAPER-thin depth at safety. Sure, Major Wright could probably step in to replace him, but both he and Chris Harris got dinged up a little this year. If one of them goes down, that means we're starting Josh Bullocks or Craig Steltz, and I don't think anybody wants to see that (except maybe Aaron Rodgers.)

Safeties are like running backs these days: you really need to have at least one starting-caliber guy on the bench, because injuries are just going to happen. If Manning goes, we either have to spend a draft pick on a safety (and this is an awful draft class for safeties) or add a guy in free agency. Otherwise, that position goes back to being a liability (like it was from 2007-2009) the instant somebody gets hurt.

However, if Manning really can't be retained or wants an astronomical amount of money, I think they should bring Brandon McGowan back. He's a free agent next year (assuming the FA rules stay the same,) he knows the defense, and he could be a decent backup behind Harris and Wright. At a minimum, they've got to target somebody in FA that they wouldn't mind starting for a game or two if they had to - how many teams these days start the same 2 safeties every week from September to January?

Safeties are like running backs these days: you really need to have at least one starting-caliber guy on the bench, because injuries are just going to happen. If Manning goes, we either have to spend a draft pick on a safety (and this is an awful draft class for safeties) or add a guy in free agency. Otherwise, that position goes back to being a liability (like it was from 2007-2009) the instant somebody gets hurt.

Agreed. Not to mention, Major Wright finishes games about as often as Mathew Stafford. It seemed like even when he was healthy, inevitably we'd see him on the sideline limping around. Typically Angelo likes to draft a bad safety in the 6th round, insert him as starter, then dump him a year or two later. I'd prefer to avoid that scenerio.

We have far too many other needs to draft a safety early.