Alternate Mock Draft

jason

This is not supposed to fill your thoughts and needs for the Bears. This is to see if you can predict what JA will do in the draft (per az's challenge).

My prediction of JA's picks:

1 - DB - Ras-I-Dowling - Virginia - JA thinks that other positions can wait, and all the Bears defense needs is a shutdown corner. Cutler stumbles.

2 - DT - Stephen Paea - Oregon State - Regardless of what he thinks/says, JA can't resist grabbing a DT. Cutler drops a single tear, then faints.

3 - OT - Marcus Gilbert - Florida - Even JA realizes that the OL needs some help. Cutler fist pumps...from his back.

4 - FS - Jaiquann Jarrett - Temple - Let's see, bad instincts, not very fast, college FS who'll be SS in the pros. Yep, JA grabs him to play FS. Cutler scowls.

5 - WR - Austin Pettis - Boise State - Shooting for the taller target that so many think the Bears need. Cutler nods while standing.

6 - QB - Tyrod Taylor - Virginia Tech - Bad OL? Fast QB! Cutler smirks, knowing the rookie will probably play at least one game.

7 - P - Chas Henry - Florida - JA trying to revive his streak of Florida selections. Cutler walks away mumbling F-bombs.

This is not supposed to fill your thoughts and needs for the Bears. This is to see if you can predict what JA will do in the draft (per az's challenge).

1 - DB - Ras-I-Dowling - Virginia - JA thinks that other positions can wait, and all the Bears defense needs is a shutdown corner. Cutler stumbles.

2 - DT - Stephen Paea - Oregon State - Regardless of what he thinks/says, JA can't resist grabbing a DT. Cutler drops a single tear, then faints.

3 - OT - Marcus Gilbert - Florida - Even JA realizes that the OL needs some help. Cutler fist pumps...from his back.

4 - FS - Jaiquann Jarrett - Temple - Let's see, bad instincts, not very fast, college FS who'll be SS in the pros. Yep, JA grabs him to play FS. Cutler scowls.

5 - WR - Austin Pettis - Boise State - Shooting for the taller target that so many think the Bears need. Cutler nods while standing.

6 - QB - Tyrod Taylor - Virginia Tech - Bad OL? Fast QB! Cutler smirks, knowing the rookie will probably play at least one game.

7 - P - Chas Henry - Florida - JA trying to revive his streak of Florida selections. Cutler walks away mumbling F-bombs.

My prediction JA will shit the bed.

I win challenge. Game Set Match

Can't argue with that!

jason, you're picks...or at least positions, look like something JA would do.

I'm not too savvy in the draft/college players this season, so I'd literally just be throwing darts blindfolded...

My prediction JA will shit the bed.

I win challenge. Game Set Match

Sign Logan Mankins and Braylon Edwards.

1. Tyron Smith, OT, USC

---I haven't been a fan of taking an OT this high as you all know. But this is perfect. As a USC fan, Smith is undersized right now. He probably barely scrapes 290. Omiyale and Webb are going to be given chances to succeed. Smith can wait for now.

2. Drake Nevis, NT, LSU

---The Bears NEED help at DT. Tommie Harris? Anthony Adams? Please. Henry Melton has been a surprise but they need youth, skill, and depth here. Plus, Angelo and Lovie stress DL.

3. Rashad "Rock" Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech

---Tim Jennings has been a surprise also, and Tillman has really played well. The only problem is- Jennings probably isn't the future and Tillman is aging.

4. Sam Acho, DE, Texas

---This is another case of DL depth. Acho would be a steal here and also for the point that Idonije and Peppers are getting up there in age.

5. Will Rackley, OT/OG, Lehigh

---Rackley is a small school guy who is rising up draft boards. I see a trend with those players though- they always get drafted late. Rackley could play RT or OG in the NFL so he's good for depth right now.

6. Lestar Jean, WR, Florida Atlantic.

---Jean was a 2nd team all conference this year and is a big guy at 6'4, 210. Cutler likes those WR's although the coaches rarely listen (see: Aromashodu, Devin).

7. Raymond Webber, WR, Arkansas Pine Bluff

---Small school and 2 straight WR's?! What's the point?! This is the point--this guy might be the STEAL of the draft. He was an AP FCS All-American and was a Walter Payton Award Finalist. He led the NCAA with 101 catches and almost 130 ypg. Also, he's 6'2, 220.

Not sold on Edwards. I'd rather aim for V-Jack. I'd settle for Edwards though....

1. Tyron Smith, OT, USC

---I haven't been a fan of taking an OT this high as you all know. But this is perfect. As a USC fan, Smith is undersized right now. He probably barely scrapes 290. Omiyale and Webb are going to be given chances to succeed. Smith can wait for now.

2. Drake Nevis, NT, LSU

---The Bears NEED help at DT. Tommie Harris? Anthony Adams? Please. Henry Melton has been a surprise but they need youth, skill, and depth here. Plus, Angelo and Lovie stress DL.

---Tim Jennings has been a surprise also, and Tillman has really played well. The only problem is- Jennings probably isn't the future and Tillman is aging.

4. Sam Acho, DE, Texas

---This is another case of DL depth. Acho would be a steal here and also for the point that Idonije and Peppers are getting up there in age.

---Rackley is a small school guy who is rising up draft boards. I see a trend with those players though- they always get drafted late. Rackley could play RT or OG in the NFL so he's good for depth right now.

---Jean was a 2nd team all conference this year and is a big guy at 6'4, 210. Cutler likes those WR's although the coaches rarely listen (see: Aromashodu, Devin).

---Small school and 2 straight WR's?! What's the point?! This is the point--this guy might be the STEAL of the draft. He was an AP FCS All-American and was a Walter Payton Award Finalist. He led the NCAA with 101 catches and almost 130 ypg. Also, he's 6'2, 220.

Guest TerraTor

Love Dowling, but OL who can start from Day 1 must be drafted in 2nd.

I think JA picks an OL with the first or second pick unless a higher rated CB falls in the first and we can get value.

So I agree with the positions of the first three picks but maybe not the rounds.

I'm not sure he will go QB at all. I think a linebacker will be in there in the late rounds because our linebacker depth after free agency will be bad.

1. Tyron Smith, OT, USC

2. Drake Nevis, NT, LSU

4. Sam Acho, DE, Texas

I think this is a close one, except throw a LB in for one of the WR's.

Love Dowling, but OL who can start from Day 1 must be drafted in 2nd.

I agree. But this is about what I think JA will do.

For some reason, I don't think he's learned from his mistakes. I think he won't get an offensive lineman until round three, or later. The excuses about "not reaching," or "the other guy was rated higher," or "best player available" will be used.

Exactly.

And also use the excuse that they drafted Williams as a 1st round OL recently...

I agree. But this is about what I think JA will do.

For some reason, I don't think he's learned from his mistakes. I think he won't get an offensive lineman until round three, or later. The excuses about "not reaching," or "the other guy was rated higher," or "best player available" will be used.

Guest TerraTor

Disagree on Edwards. Mostly because he is horrible.

Id sign mankins for certain, if we can, or throw as much at Vincent Jackson as possible. Guy is a stud and immediately becomes best on team

As for the draft. I want a starter, no more redshirt..reaches...projects... take the best player at highest need. Personally, I think a D-back is our biggest draft need based that we need a guy who can make plays, and I dont see a OL/WR doing that right off the bat. Also, i wouldnt mind trading up in the 2nd to draft an OT/OG that can swing like St Clair.

Me too. We need someone that will catch the ball consistantly. I dont see Edwards as that guy.

Not sold on Edwards. I'd rather aim for V-Jack. I'd settle for Edwards though....

Disagree on Edwards. Mostly because he is horrible.

Id sign mankins for certain, if we can, or throw as much at Vincent Jackson as possible. Guy is a stud and immediately becomes best on team

As for the draft. I want a starter, no more redshirt..reaches...projects... take the best player at highest need. Personally, I think a D-back is our biggest draft need based that we need a guy who can make plays, and I dont see a OL/WR doing that right off the bat. Also, i wouldnt mind trading up in the 2nd to draft an OT/OG that can swing like St Clair.

jason asked what we think JA will do, not what we want him to do.

This not necessarily what I want him to do, but what I think he will do:

Trade out of first to early 2nd & get a 4th (AKA the JA Special)

2) Aaron Williams, CB, Texas - Big corner from a school JA trusts and Bears bloodlines (uncle Ken Taylor)

2) Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor - Will be a 27-year-old rookie, but can probably step right in at guard, and JA knows he needs a new starter on the line to make fans happy.

3) Martin Parker, DT, Richmond - A JA draft needs at least one small school player taken higher than he should be, particularly on the D-line.

4) Greg Little, WR, North Carolina - Around the time JA picks BPA from someone who is falling down the board.

4) Lee Smith, TE/OT, Marshall - A college tight end that JA will draft as an OT project. Another JA special.

5) Doug Hogue, LB, Syracuse - The standard late round flier on a fast, undersized LB.

6) Rick Elmore, DE, Arizona - Productive college DE a la Ervin Baldwin, Mark Anderson, Claude Harriott

7) Nathan Enderle, QB, Idaho - Martz pokes his head in and asks for a QB with Collins gone at Hanie as the back-up. JA obliges.

2) Aaron Williams, CB, Texas - Big corner from a school JA trusts and Bears bloodlines (uncle Ken Taylor)

2) Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor - Will be a 27-year-old rookie, but can probably step right in at guard, and JA knows he needs a new starter on the line to make fans happy.

3) Martin Parker, DT, Richmond - A JA draft needs at least one small school player taken higher than he should be, particularly on the D-line.

4) Greg Little, WR, North Carolina - Around the time JA picks BPA from someone who is falling down the board.

4) Lee Smith, TE/OT, Marshall - A college tight end that JA will draft as an OT project. Another JA special.

5) Doug Hogue, LB, Syracuse - The standard late round flier on a fast, undersized LB.

6) Rick Elmore, DE, Arizona - Productive college DE a la Ervin Baldwin, Mark Anderson, Claude Harriott

7) Nathan Enderle, QB, Idaho - Martz pokes his head in and asks for a QB with Collins gone at Hanie as the back-up. JA obliges.

LMAO! Great job!! I could totally see this happening EXACTLY as you have it.

I agree with Jason, excellent work.

I hope and pray to Papa Bear that JA isn't stupid enough to think Edwards is better than V-Jack...

If he's going to get a WR in FA, I would like to think he'd get the best available to help his QB since he's thrown him under the bus with no protection physically and in the PR department.

jason asked what we think JA will do, not what we want him to do.

I hope and pray to Papa Bear that JA isn't stupid enough to think Edwards is better than V-Jack...

If he's going to get a WR in FA, I would like to think he'd get the best available to help his QB since he's thrown him under the bus with no protection physically and in the PR department.

I like Sidney Rice too.

I think we need to look at V Jax and Rice, big time.

HA, yeah this is pretty much right on the money. Now we just need a guy who can jump out of a pool and a lineman with a preexisting back/knee injury. God, I hope it doesn't go down like that.

Ok here is mine

1.) Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - Scouting Report

Height: 6-5. Weight: 225.

Projected 40 Time: 4.50.

2.) Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Scouting Report

Height: 6-5. Weight: 335.

Projected 40 Time: 5.25

3.) Clint Boling, G, Georgia

Height: 6-5. Weight: 310.

Projected 40 Time: 5.09.

4.) Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame

Height: 6-2. Weight: 311.

Projected 40 Time: 5.11.

5.) Devon Torrence, CB, Ohio State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 193.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

6.) Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Height: 6-2. Weight: 222.

Projected 40 Time: 4.94.

7.) Michael Morgan, OLB, USC

Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.58.

If anything simular to this gets done I would be elated.

Ok here is mine

1.) Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh - Scouting Report

Height: 6-5. Weight: 225.

Projected 40 Time: 4.50.

2.) Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Scouting Report

Height: 6-5. Weight: 335.

Projected 40 Time: 5.25

3.) Clint Boling, G, Georgia

Height: 6-5. Weight: 310.

Projected 40 Time: 5.09.

4.) Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame

Height: 6-2. Weight: 311.

Projected 40 Time: 5.11.

5.) Devon Torrence, CB, Ohio State

Height: 6-1. Weight: 193.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

6.) Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Height: 6-2. Weight: 222.

Projected 40 Time: 4.94.

7.) Michael Morgan, OLB, USC

Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.58.

If anything simular to this gets done I would be elated.

I really don't see JA and crew going WR in the first. If they did, I wouldn't be completely shocked, but I just don't see it.

If that draft happened I would have mixed emotions. The WR would not pan out, McElroy would be waste (doesn't have the NFL-level skills).

WR is looking more and more what will go in the first, With OT's being able to grabed in the 2nd, that skill position of WR is most likely he will go. they are pretty heavy in this years draft. As for McElory, his skills are leadership and game management. As a 3rd stringer he can sit and be groomed. To tell the truth I stuck him in for sh-ts and giggles.

Why would WR not pan out? Please explain.

WR is looking more and more what will go in the first, With OT's being able to grabed in the 2nd, that skill position of WR is most likely he will go. they are pretty heavy in this years draft. As for McElory, his skills are leadership and game management. As a 3rd stringer he can sit and be groomed. To tell the truth I stuck him in for sh-ts and giggles.

Why would WR not pan out? Please explain.

1. I don't think a rookie WR would start in the Bears offense, hence...disappointing stats

2. If WR goes in the first, it would signal that YET AGAIN the Bears don't pay attention to the OL

2a. The Bears will probably have a poor OL, yet again

2b. Cutler will be under ridiculous pressure, yet again

2c. It will be impossible to use the entire Martz offense, yet again

3. Speaking of the Martz offense, one of my favorite aspects is the "spread the ball around" philosophy. Hurting the opposition with the 3rd and 4th WR. As with #1, that's less stats for a single WR, especially a rookie who will have limited snaps.

4. Muhsin Muhammed will be proven "right" again ("where WRs go to die"), because the rookie WR will have incredibly underwhelming stats, and will only slightly improve over the course of his contract

The thing that bugs me about this type of thought is your comment "with OT's being able to be grabbed in the 2nd." Aren't WRs also available in the draft? If they're "heavy" aren't there plenty of them with talent available later? It defies intelligence for the Bears to go WR in the first, unless there is a Randy Moss reincarnation available. I can't find it right now, but there is overwhelming statistical proof that as the rounds go on, the likelihood of finding a quality player significantly dwindles. Sure, talent can be found in other rounds, but the stats say 1st round has more talent. Common sense says that the first round has more talent. Unless 4 or 5 teams choose the targeted positions before the Bears, they should go for the positions with the most need. The BPA concept is not my favorite, because the BPA almost always seems to be someone other than OL.

1. I don't think a rookie WR would start in the Bears offense, hence...disappointing stats

2. If WR goes in the first, it would signal that YET AGAIN the Bears don't pay attention to the OL

2a. The Bears will probably have a poor OL, yet again

2b. Cutler will be under ridiculous pressure, yet again

2c. It will be impossible to use the entire Martz offense, yet again

3. Speaking of the Martz offense, one of my favorite aspects is the "spread the ball around" philosophy. Hurting the opposition with the 3rd and 4th WR. As with #1, that's less stats for a single WR, especially a rookie who will have limited snaps.

4. Muhsin Muhammed will be proven "right" again ("where WRs go to die"), because the rookie WR will have incredibly underwhelming stats, and will only slightly improve over the course of his contract

The thing that bugs me about this type of thought is your comment "with OT's being able to be grabbed in the 2nd." Aren't WRs also available in the draft? If they're "heavy" aren't there plenty of them with talent available later? It defies intelligence for the Bears to go WR in the first, unless there is a Randy Moss reincarnation available. I can't find it right now, but there is overwhelming statistical proof that as the rounds go on, the likelihood of finding a quality player significantly dwindles. Sure, talent can be found in other rounds, but the stats say 1st round has more talent. Common sense says that the first round has more talent. Unless 4 or 5 teams choose the targeted positions before the Bears, they should go for the positions with the most need. The BPA concept is not my favorite, because the BPA almost always seems to be someone other than OL.

The only problem with where we are picking and OL might be that all of the kids worthy of a pick will be gone. I dont want us to be so shoehorned in for a pick that we reach for some OL who is not worth the pick when we could get then same type of guy in the second round. Unfortunately, we really do need a Baldwin type of guy to bail cutler out.

And also think about the fact that even if the line improves that doesn't mean Cutler will be hit less. Warner still got hit a ton when he was behind a good O line in STl. Its the nature oft he offense.