Alternate Mock Draft

jason

The only problem with where we are picking and OL might be that all of the kids worthy of a pick will be gone. I dont want us to be so shoehorned in for a pick that we reach for some OL who is not worth the pick when we could get then same type of guy in the second round. Unfortunately, we really do need a Baldwin type of guy to bail cutler out.

And also think about the fact that even if the line improves that doesn't mean Cutler will be hit less. Warner still got hit a ton when he was behind a good O line in STl. Its the nature oft he offense.

I understand that. It's the reason I tried to arbitrarily hedge my bet by saying something about the previous teams selecting the same position. Over-reaching for a position is rarely a good thing. I just hate the following scenario:

1st Rd: "Well, the two or three OTs we had targeted are gone, so we'll look for value in the 2nd. Better grab a tall WR because he's tall."

2nd Rd: "Hmm...didn't see that happening. The few guys we thought would last, didn't. Guess we have to go elsewhere, maybe grab a SS who we'll put at FS."

3rd Rd: "Most of the OT talent left isn't really that good to begin with. It would be pointless to grab one here when there is so much potential in DB Joe Blow and LB John Doe."

That's how it seems to happen with the Bears' drafting. Sometimes a slight "reach" is a bit necessary if you ever plan on getting the position filled outside of FA.

I understand that. It's the reason I tried to arbitrarily hedge my bet by saying something about the previous teams selecting the same position. Over-reaching for a position is rarely a good thing. I just hate the following scenario:

1st Rd: "Well, the two or three OTs we had targeted are gone, so we'll look for value in the 2nd. Better grab a tall WR because he's tall."

2nd Rd: "Hmm...didn't see that happening. The few guys we thought would last, didn't. Guess we have to go elsewhere, maybe grab a SS who we'll put at FS."

3rd Rd: "Most of the OT talent left isn't really that good to begin with. It would be pointless to grab one here when there is so much potential in DB Joe Blow and LB John Doe."

That's how it seems to happen with the Bears' drafting. Sometimes a slight "reach" is a bit necessary if you ever plan on getting the position filled outside of FA.

Awesome!

I'd like to see one pick in the 3rd-5th round range traded to the Redskins for Haynesworth. This defense excels when we have a great DT. Tommie isn't it, and I don't think we can afford to spend an early pick on an impact DT through the draft. Like him or not, Haynesworth is a fearsome DT in a 4-3 system.

I've been calling for that move since November. It's immediately puts our D at the top of the league. We just need to shore up our CBs a bit. I don't know what his cap hit would but this move would likely cost us a shot at one of the top WR FAs as I doubt we'd have money left to even sign S. Rice. Then it's all offense in the draft...OG, WR..OT, late round RB & CB.

I've been calling for that move since November. It's immediately puts our D at the top of the league. We just need to shore up our CBs a bit. I don't know what his cap hit would but this move would likely cost us a shot at one of the top WR FAs as I doubt we'd have money left to even sign S. Rice. Then it's all offense in the draft...OG, WR..OT, late round RB & CB.

His contract is pretty reasonable I believe. He got a lot of his money up front, so going forward he's probably paid appropriately to his production. I'd like to see Angelo pick up Haynesworth and either a starting caliber o-lineman or a WR better than any we currently have and then focus on offense in the draft. I'd consider that a successful off-season.

His contract is pretty reasonable I believe. He got a lot of his money up front, so going forward he's probably paid appropriately to his production. I'd like to see Angelo pick up Haynesworth and either a starting caliber o-lineman or a WR better than any we currently have and then focus on offense in the draft. I'd consider that a successful off-season.

My concerns with Haynesworth are injuries and work ethic. The guy has earned a reputation for being lazy and out-of-shape, and he was dinged up a fair amount this year for the Redskins. If we're going to trade for a DT on the cheap, I'd rather take a flyer on Amobi Okoye from the Texans. He doesn't fit anywhere in Wade Phillips' 3-4, but he has the right kind of physical ability to play either DT spot in a Tampa-2. If Marinelli can get him motivated, he could be a decent reclamation project at the 3-technique. Plus, he's relatively healthy, and because he was the youngest player ever drafted into the NFL, he's still only 23 (whereas Haynesworth will be 30 by the time next season starts.)

I don't know if trading for a guy is necessary, though. With so few teams running a Tampa scheme these days, undersized 3-techniques are going to fall in the draft. Drake Nevis from LSU could fall to within reach of the Bears' 2nd-rounder - a lot of teams won't have a position for him, just because he's 6'1" and 285 pounds. But compare that to Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp when they were in college: Tommie was 6'2.5" and 292 pounds, while Sapp was 6'2" and 285. I'd rather use a 2nd on Nevis or trade a 4th for Okoye than make a play for Haynesworth. David Carter from UCLA is another potential 3-technique who could be had in the 4th-5th, although I think some 3-4 teams will look at him as a DE.