Draft and Free Agency needs

ASHKUM BEAR

The tags will exist but no one really knows what they'll mean.

The Tags are one of 2 things that I'll be really surprised if they're not at least partially reformed in the CBA talks (the other being the rookie contracts).

The owners don't like the tag...particularly how the transition tag has become useless thanks to the poison pill technique, and the players hate hate hate the franchise tag. There's going to be some reform in that.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if the new transition tag didn't contain some explicit prohibition against poison pills (although the teams have been self-policing that pretty well since the Hutchinson thing went down.) The franchise tag, though, I think might stay the same - the players may not like having to wait a year to get a long-term deal, but the tag pays them really well for that one year. If they change anything about it, it might be just to make it impossible (instead of just really expensive) to franchise somebody two years in a row.

Good points...

I agree.

Yeah, I don't want to trade with the Pats. JA got fleeced by the Bucs for Gaines Adams (RIP), I can only imagine what the Pats would do. We'd probably give away Cutler, Urlacher, Briggs, Hester and 3 first rounders...

JA even admitted that fact in article I read , so he is out of that buisness all together. Look for JA to go just draft his year with total FA signings. He will not trade for anything for at least 2 years. He felt he got burned on Gaines Adams ( RIP) and loosing 2X1st rounders on Cutler did sting in the depth department.

Also with the CBA. I think the worst move to the players was hiring a total lawyer to lead the union. I dont see goodell caving at all. That clip they keep showing of them two talking in the hall looks like Goodell had enough and was gonna walk out on him. THe Owners want salary structure and the players want high dollar draft and the big bucks at the end. I dont see it happening for the players so I see walk out. May not be long but it will be.

JA even admitted that fact in article I read , so he is out of that buisness all together. Look for JA to go just draft his year with total FA signings. He will not trade for anything for at least 2 years. He felt he got burned on Gaines Adams ( RIP) and loosing 2X1st rounders on Cutler did sting in the depth department.

Also with the CBA. I think the worst move to the players was hiring a total lawyer to lead the union. I dont see goodell caving at all. That clip they keep showing of them two talking in the hall looks like Goodell had enough and was gonna walk out on him. THe Owners want salary structure and the players want high dollar draft and the big bucks at the end. I dont see it happening for the players so I see walk out. May not be long but it will be.

I agree with not trading for anyone at this time. Especially considering we don't know what the CBA will look like. It will get done but its all a matter of what it will look like in the end.

I'd like to see the Bears trade for Haynesworth. The Redskins paid a huge part of his contract up front, so he's actually reasonably paid going forward, and he's not staying there. We have a big need at DT this season, and a drafted player would take time to develop.

I'd go after Sidney Rice. 2 years ago playing with Favre he was awesome, constantly fighting for balls and getting yards after the catch. That he missed much of this year due to injury will probably make him cheaper than Vincent Jackson, who is less of a fit for Martz' offense.

I'd like to see them find an OT in FA (maybe Gaither), and find a guard with their first pick. You can get a top guard at the end of the first round, but you're probably looking at the 5th or 6th best tackle there. Seems to be a better value.

I hope Martz doesn't have as much input on offensive additions this year. After the Collins/Taylor/Manu disasters of this year, he doesn't seem to know personnel as well as playcalling (though after that stupid end-around call in the title game, maybe someone else should call plays too).

I'd like to see the Bears trade for Haynesworth. The Redskins paid a huge part of his contract up front, so he's actually reasonably paid going forward, and he's not staying there. We have a big need at DT this season, and a drafted player would take time to develop.

I'd go after Sidney Rice. 2 years ago playing with Favre he was awesome, constantly fighting for balls and getting yards after the catch. That he missed much of this year due to injury will probably make him cheaper than Vincent Jackson, who is less of a fit for Martz' offense.

I'd like to see them find an OT in FA (maybe Gaither), and find a guard with their first pick. You can get a top guard at the end of the first round, but you're probably looking at the 5th or 6th best tackle there. Seems to be a better value.

I hope Martz doesn't have as much input on offensive additions this year. After the Collins/Taylor/Manu disasters of this year, he doesn't seem to know personnel as well as playcalling (though after that stupid end-around call in the title game, maybe someone else should call plays too).

I like the Haynesworth idea, only if he'd restructure his contract to have a fitness clause. I'd also like to see two OL drafted highly along with a CB, another safety and Urls understudy.

Logan Mankins will likely be franchised next season (whenever that will be). Per Brad Biggs. Article also mentions that the franchise tags will stand despite the lack of CBA.

i think part of the reason Mankins ended his season long hold out was he had an agreement with the Pats that if he came back, they would not use the tag on him next season. I think he will be available as a FA to the highest bidder

i think part of the reason Mankins ended his season long hold out was he had an agreement with the Pats that if he came back, they would not use the tag on him next season. I think he will be available as a FA to the highest bidder

The biggest part of the reason he (and Jackson) came back is the union advised them that if they did not come back and complete 1/2 of a season, they would not receive credit under the CBA for having been in the league this season. Thus, they'd be right back in the same spot; they'd only qualify as restricted free agents, since the number of years you've been in the league determines whether you can qualify as restricted or unrestricted.

They didn't need to tag either of those guys since they only qualified as restricted FA's last year, teams could slap the "1st and 3rd" tender on them and no one would sign those players as FA.